Player Discussion Is Smith cooked? Edit: YEAH HE IS!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
None. No faith that he can even “win us a game” one night.
Well, the reason I say that is because it's already happened so far this season. He's got two shutouts, and a couple more that were spoiled late. In other games he's made huge saves to preserve a victory (like Chicago). So given it's already happened this year, there's no reason to suggest it won't happen again. But he just hasn't been able to show that those games are more likely than the other end of the spectrum when he's in net.

Reactions: Janks

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Well, the reason I say that is because it's already happened so far this season. He's got two shutouts, and a couple more that were spoiled late. In other games he's made huge saves to preserve a victory (like Chicago). So given it's already happened this year, there's no reason to suggest it won't happen again. But he just hasn't been able to show that those games are more likely than the other end of the spectrum when he's in net.
I suppose that’s fair. The way things are going it looks like it could be more often losing us games than winning them or even giving us a chance to win.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

Bring me Jimmy Howard

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
He's a 36 year old (soon to be 37) oft inured goalie that has struggled massively since his last injury and is having troubling adapting to the changes in goalie equipment. He is in all likelihood, done, and more so, not getting another NHL contract. That's just the reality of getting old. And at this point, he's not even an adequate backup because of his confidence issues.

So ideally yeah, the Flames find a way to upgrade the position but there's also a really good chance that nothing happens. Some of the prices are just too absurd; Treliving isn't giving up a first round pick for Howard for example. The rest of the goalies that might be available are no better for one reason or another - Anderson with his injury issues and extra year on his contract, the Avs aren't trading Varlamov, Schneider for all the obvious reasons, etc. And the folks who think that there's actually a possibility the Flames and Oilers are going to make a trade involving Talbot or anything else of note have some serious issues. No offense, but yeah, it's never happening.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
So ideally yeah, the Flames find a way to upgrade the position but there's also a really good chance that nothing happens. Some of the prices are just too absurd; Treliving isn't giving up a first round pick for Howard for example. The rest of the goalies that might be available are no better for one reason or another - Anderson with his injury issues and extra year on his contract, the Avs aren't trading Varlamov, Schneider for all the obvious reasons, etc. And the folks who think that there's actually a possibility the Flames and Oilers are going to make a trade involving Talbot or anything else of note have some serious issues. No offense, but yeah, it's never happening.
Darcy Kuemper at the deadline is still my choice. The Yotes are dead and buried so he might well be available. Send Frolik and a 2nd rounder the other way and a bouquet of flowers to Allan Walsh.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Isn’t he the goalie of their future? Schneider looks dead in the water

Well, he's 29 and not having a stellar year. I'd assume they're keeping him, but he is a UFA, and they're going to be sellers.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hopefully Treliving is working the phones today trying to get a decent replacement for Smith. Pretty sure that Gillies isn't it. Wouldn't be surprised if Frolik is included in a trade if there is one to be made. :crossfing

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Hopefully Treliving is working the phones today trying to get a decent replacement for Smith. Pretty sure that Gillies isn't it. Wouldn't be surprised if Frolik is included in a trade if there is one to be made. :crossfing
Ya $8.5 million going out, for Frolik and Smith could be challenging.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Ya $8.5 million going out, for Frolik and Smith could be challenging.
I think Smith is untradeable. I think Treliving will have to assign him to Stockton, take the $1M cap relief and eat the rest of his contract for the balance of the year. When I was talking trade I was primarily thinking of Frolik and his $4.3M contract and the fact that he still has 1 year left.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Nicklas Backstrom was considered "untradeable" at one point.

Smith's easily tradeable - at the deadline. With an expiring contract, he's basically a throw-in. Even the cap implications aren't horrible at that point.
Maybe. But do you really want to wait until the TDL (Feb 25) to fix this problem?

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Nicklas Backstrom was considered "untradeable" at one point.

Smith's easily tradeable - at the deadline. With an expiring contract, he's basically a throw-in. Even the cap implications aren't horrible at that point.
If you mean the goalie Backstrom, he was traded for another shit sandwich in David Jones and the Wild also gave us a draft pick IIRC. I would also argue that Smith is "untradeable" in the sense that we are not getting anything of value in return, and probably will have to add a sweetener. So unless we really need the cap space at TDL I think Smith will stay and sit in the pressbox for the rest of the season.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
If you mean the goalie Backstrom, he was traded for another **** sandwich in David Jones and the Wild also gave us a draft pick IIRC. I would also argue that Smith is "untradeable" in the sense that we are not getting anything of value in return, and probably will have to add a sweetener. So unless we really need the cap space at TDL I think Smith will stay and sit in the pressbox for the rest of the season.
So you agree, he's not untradeable. :)

*I said nothing about quality of return.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I just think you do whatever you have to do including burying him. Look, I get it, he's apparently a veteran leader, Tre loves him, blah, blah, blah...But I don't want this team to a risk a solid cup run when Smith has not shown he can stop a beach ball and we are halfway through the season. Get another goalie, and soon. Move out Frolik, that's a distraction anyway and we'll need the cap space.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wonder if Colorado would be willing to make a deal for Pavel Francouz? He's only on a 1 yr contract.

Capture.JPG

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1