Olympics: Is Russia over rated as a hockey power

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You know I have heard for YEARS about Russia being one of the powerhouse teams in international hockey but I think it is now time to ask the question is that true? Do they deserve to be put in the same group as Canada, USA, Sweden etc?

My answer is No because it is one thing to have a bad tournament Canada had one in 1998 and 2006 but it is another thing entirely to not medal at all since 2002. You would think that would be nearly impossible given some of the star talent that has come out of Russia I mean you got Ovi, Malkin, Semin, Kolvalchuck you would think they would have SOMETHING to show for it but no.

I know the world championship is going to be brought up but it doesn't matter because it is not a true best on best competition seeing as it takes place during the NHL playoffs when most of the top talent is playing for the cup.

So I ask what do you think? Is it time to stop thinking of Russia as a hockey power? I think so, I think they have lost their spot and need to earn it back.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

So I ask what do you think? Is it time to stop thinking of Russia as a hockey power? I think so, I think they have lost their spot and need to earn it back.

Ask me again when Malkin and OV have retired or, at least, fallen off in a big way. If Russia has not come up with quality replacements by then, then yes.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Yeah if you're only counting Olympic hockey then there's no question to be asked. The sample size is too small to make any reasonable conclusion. Strikes me as another thread that has an agenda and
Ignores the basics of international hockey.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah if you're only counting Olympic hockey then there's no question to be asked. The sample size is too small to make any reasonable conclusion. Strikes me as another thread that has an agenda and
Ignores the basics of international hockey.

Why would I not count the biggest stage in international hockey?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ask me again when Malkin and OV have retired or, at least, fallen off in a big way. If Russia has not come up with quality replacements by then, then yes.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

I am sure they will come up with quality replacements but it won't matter if they don't win

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Right now they are disappointing considering what they once were.

I am hoping Russia can continue developing 1st rounders and 2nd rounders in each draft like how they did this year but they need a 'superstar', Tarasenko, Yakupov, Grigorenko but who is the next star that can fit in with Malkin, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk? Is it Kuznetsov?

They're doing better with development though, every year they'll have atleast 3-6 prospects who can get into the first 2 rounds of each draft.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
In the last 6 Olympics, one silver, and one bronze.

Last 3 Olympics, nothing.

''Individually we are one drop, together we are an ocean.''

Problem is Russia is never together even with their players always playing together at Worlds, hence 2 decades of failure. Individually 2nd after Canada in terms of offensive talent, probably one of last in terms of defensive talent as of right now, and I really don't see how they perform in 2018 and beyond with no defense whatsoever. Someone needs to call their development program and tell them defense wins championships.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
Canada
USA
Sweden
Finland
Czech Republic

I don´t know, I think you are underestimating Russia a bit. I think they could surprise you let´s say during the World Cup. I know that they are in serious drought of Olympic successes, but maybe luck is gonna turn. Czechs have a lot of pretty good players, but I still think Russia has more talented players. Although, I have to say that Czechs really know how to play against Russia, and if we become witnesses of Czech-Russia match, I am gonna go for our bros :)

Analyzer*

The forwards they produce are top notch.

Unfortunately, the defensemen they produce aren't very good and neither are the goalies.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Their national team / program has puck skills, shot and overall offensive game elite.

Grit, goalies and team defense not as good. That's what they lack against Canada, and even Finland and Sweden.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Is this thread really based on the fact that Russia has now lost two olympic quarterfinals in a row? In one-game elimination tournaments which are, frankly, more or less a crapshoot to begin with?

Seriously? They lose two individual games in a four-year timeframe and suddenly they've fallen out of grace? (Okay, you could add the fact that they haven't medaled since 2002, being fourth in 2006 - but hey, if you ask the North American apologists on this very board, apparently bronze games don't count.)

Yeah, when you look at the medal table, that 12-year-long drought does not seem to flatter 'em much. But when you look at the sample size of individual games that are the reason of this apparent drought... well. I wholeheartedly propose we all just laugh the OP out of here.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Russia was overrated in North America 4-5 years ago, but not anymore. As long as they are not put in the top three for the time being they are not overrated. To Russia's credit they have started to produce some very good goaltenders, so they just need to produce some quality defencemen and they are right back in it.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Is this thread really based on the fact that Russia has now lost two olympic quarterfinals in a row? In one-game elimination tournaments which are, frankly, more or less a crapshoot to begin with?

Seriously? They lose two individual games in a four-year timeframe and suddenly they've fallen out of grace? (Okay, you could add the fact that they haven't medaled since 2002, being fourth in 2006 - but hey, if you ask the North American apologists on this very board, apparently bronze games don't count.)

Yeah, when you look at the medal table, that 12-year-long drought does not seem to flatter 'em much. But when you look at the sample size of individual games that are the reason of this apparent drought... well. I wholeheartedly propose we all just laugh the OP out of here.

hat hav they done in a tournament that actually means something? don't bring up the WHC either because any tournament that takes place during the playoffs where most of the top guys are fighting for the stanley cup doesn't mean a thng.

Maybe if they do something at the world cup in 2016 then an argument can e made. Until then what have they done?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Ignoring Russia's recent Gold Medals at the World Hockey Championships which should not be compared to the Olympics, is part of the reason for their lack of success selecting more KHL players over NHL players? With the Olympics they had months to scout players and to select their team and with the World Championships they basically get players who's seasons ended in the NHL, however that is also true for every other country who participates.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Until then what have they done?
Lost two olympic quarterfinals. Or, as put in perspective: Lost two individual games of hockey in a four-year timeframe. Both against an opponent more or less on their own level.

Had they won either of those two games, this thread would never have seen the day of light.

But sure, if you figure a single game of hockey played every 4th year is a reliable metric to determining their status in the hockey world as a whole, by all means. I, however, happen to consider it a ridiculous one.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lost two olympic quarterfinals. Or, as put in perspective: Lost two individual games of hockey in a four-year timeframe. Both against an opponent more or less on their own level.

Had they won either of those two games, this thread would never have seen the day of light.

But sure, if you figure a single game of hockey played every 4th year is a reliable metric to determining their status in the hockey world as a whole, by all means. I, however, happen to consider it a ridiculous one.

OK then if we can't use the biggest stage international hockey has to offer then please tell me what IS a suitable criteria?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ignoring Russia's recent Gold Medals at the World Hockey Championships which should not be compared to the Olympics, is part of the reason for their lack of success selecting more KHL players over NHL players? With the Olympics they had months to scout players and to select their team and with the World Championships they basically get players who's seasons ended in the NHL, however that is also true for every other country who participates.

I know which is why it isn't a best on best tournament which is why people put such poor stock into it

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
This is such a troll thread just to get our Russian friends riled up, but laughter aside, it is fun laughing at their Olympic showings after all the arrogant, cocky comments their posters and supporters were saying leading up to Sochi for years, especially after World Junior 2011 which reinvigorated their belief. Someone go back and bring those up for more laughter lol.

Until then 3 more years of this laughter until 2018 Korea :laugh: !

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Russia is still a hockey power but haven't been able to win on the biggest stage due to...

1) lack of team chemistry. Too many individuals

2) lack of quality defensemen. That sochi defence was a joke compared to what Russia was able to field only a decade ago, and wasn't nearly on par with Canada, USA or Sweden

3) lack of depth. After ovie, Malkin, datsyuk, and kovalchuk, the talent falls off dramatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad