Is Rittich the real deal?

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Very few people outside the flames fan base have seen him for more than one game so I highly doubt you’ll get a better answer here than you can get on the flames board

Reactions: Intact and JPeeper

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Rittich is a back-up. Everybody was going on about Grubauer all last season. Went into the play-offs as the starting goaltender and then came the resounding thud. Holtby came in and the Caps won the cup.

The Av's believed in all the hoopla and where is he now? 0.896 save percentage.

Rittich is a back-up on a good run. Completely wasted thread.

Reactions: 780il

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Is he elite? No, to get that tag you have to do very well for a long stretch of time. Rittich has had a red hot start to the season. I hope it continues but there's really no way of knowing if he's "the real deal" or not. He looks good out there though. Gives the team a lot of confidence. That's all anyone really expects. Would be cool if he turned into a long-term solution though.

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Very few people outside the flames fan base have seen him for more than one game so I highly doubt you’ll get a better answer here than you can get on the flames board

I do enjoy the occasional well thought out rational reply, thank you.

And it is a combination of Rittich being good and the Flames defence being good, ie. keeping shots to the outside, etc. Smith was getting lit up like a Christmas tree because he couldn't stop shots that beer leaguers stop; unscreened shots from far out, dribblers that sneak past.

I'll wait and see how the season goes, but he looks a lot more poised than last year.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
May as well give him starter minutes to find out with how bad Smith's been since he was injured

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
Rittich is a back-up. Everybody was going on about Grubauer all last season. Went into the play-offs as the starting goaltender and then came the resounding thud. Holtby came in and the Caps won the cup.

The Av's believed in all the hoopla and where is he now? 0.896 save percentage.

Rittich is a back-up on a good run. Completely wasted thread.

Although it didn't work out (so far) with Grubauer, there are many examples of one-time backup goalies eventually becoming starters. Two recent examples, off the top of my head, are Bishop and Jones. I'm not saying that Rittich can be a starting goalie. I really haven't watched him play much, but saying that he can't because Grubauer didn't make it isn't a very strong argument.

I'd be curious to know from those who have watched him play numerous times why he can or cannot be a starter. Over the last few days I've tried finding information about him and there isn't much out there.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I mean he is a starter in the sense that he is better than Mike Smith but that’s not saying much

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I'd be curious to know from those who have watched him play numerous times why he can or cannot be a starter. Over the last few days I've tried finding information about him and there isn't much out there.

Basically so far he's been very good in the backup role but last year when Smith got injured he wasn't that great taking the reigns.

Lots of local media saying stuff like it was his rookie season, the mental side of the game got to him last year and doesn't seem to be this year, etc. But he's only been in the starters role for a week now, so the only real answer is he has the potential but we'll have to see how he looks now that it's truly his job to lose.

What I do know is that in this recent stretch he's been phenomenal

Reactions: seadawg

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
For most of last season he was mostly excellent as well minus 2 or 3 games. For a rookie goaltender the team couldn’t ask for more. He was put in a tough spot at the end there with the injury to Smith, but that rough stretch there helped him grow to be better.

He’s performed about a million times better than Smith this year and I don’t see any of this as a fluke. He rarely lets shots go through him and is usually very square to the shooter and can track pucks well. You don’t get that nervous feeling when he makes a save which you haven’t seen from other Flame goaltenders like Hiller, Elliott and Smith. Rittich definitely has the potential to be a quality 1A with #1 upside from what I can see.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He's a no talent bum. Nothing to discuss here. Lets move on folks. Close this silly thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad