OT: Is moldy cheese still good to eat?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If you cut off and throw out the moldy bits, I think so.
Apparently there are some people, oncluding my wife, that disagree with me.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If you cut off and throw out the moldy bits, I think so.
Apparently there are some people, oncluding my wife, that disagree with me.

Depends on the cheese.
Mostly the stuff you buy from the grocery store, hard cheeses or semi-hard just cut it off and you're absolutely fine.

For soft cheeses, like a brie, if there's mold on the soft side, as long as the mold is white and not green or blue; you're fine to eat that as well.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Depends on the cheese.
Mostly the stuff you buy from the grocery store, hard cheeses or semi-hard just cut it off and you're absolutely fine.

For soft cheeses, like a brie, if there's mold on the soft side, as long as the mold is white and not green or blue; you're fine to eat that as well.

Maybe we need some kind of rhyming mnemonic for this.

If it's hard cheese, eat as you please.
If it's soft and the mould is white, you'll be all right.
Unless it's green or blue, it'll be one mean poo.

But yeah, my rule of thumb has always been if it's a hard cheese, just cut it off and you'll be okay cause the mould can't penetrate into it.

I've accidentally eaten mouldy bread before and didn't get sick. I think some of these moulds are fine unless you have a bad immune system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volica

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Maybe we need some kind of rhyming mnemonic for this.

If it's hard cheese, eat as you please.
If it's soft and the mould is white, you'll be all right.
Unless it's green or blue, it'll be one mean poo.

But yeah, my rule of thumb has always been if it's a hard cheese, just cut it off and you'll be okay cause the mold can't penetrate into it.

I've accidentally eaten mouldy bread before and didn't get sick. I think some of these moulds are fine unless you have a bad immune system.

I once pounded a bunch of cream cheese/mini bagels (I was like 16) only after 5 minutes of enjoyment I found that the entire bottom of the cream cheese was essentially a deep green mold :laugh:
I was fine!

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Most of the times I eat the food if there's only light mold, scraping the mold off of course. Though I've understood that the mold can spread in the food even though not visible.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I can't purposely eat moody cheese though.... like blue cheese. Ugh.
My dad used to buy it. I never liked it as a kid. A few years ago I thought I would try it again (taste buds change as you grow up) so I bought a chunk. Its still gross tasting.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I can't purposely eat moody cheese though.... like blue cheese. Ugh.
My dad used to buy it. I never liked it as a kid. A few years ago I thought I would try it again (taste buds change as you grow up) so I bought a chunk. Its still gross tasting.

That's like, your opinion man.
I f***ing love blue cheese. If you ever want to dip your toes into some blue cheese but are afraid of the smell/taste, go with Saint Agur. Super mild on the blue scale.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
That's like, your opinion man.
I f***ing love blue cheese. If you ever want to dip your toes into some blue cheese but are afraid of the smell/taste, go with Saint Agur. Super mild on the blue scale.

Saint Agur is great, but I wouldnt call it mild, it's really rich and creamy. And yeah I like Gorgonzola

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Saint Agur is great, but I wouldnt call it mild, it's really rich and creamy. And yeah I like Gorgonzola

Agreed with rich and creamy, but in terms of that overpowering 'blue cheese' taste, it doesn't have it.
I use it as a spread on bread, so f***ing good.

Reactions: Kahvi

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I've been in the restaurant industry a long time. I'd say like 99% of restaurants follow the "Hard cheese, cut it off, soft cheese, throw it out" rule.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Mold on hard stuff is usually fine if you break away the moldy stuff. But soft things like cheese and veggies it's apparently not recommended as it can permeate the rest of the food.

In case of f*** up though, use immodium liquid gels to plug the bung hole.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Mold on hard stuff is usually fine if you break away the moldy stuff. But soft things like cheese and veggies it's apparently not recommended as it can permeate the rest of the food.

In case of f*** up though, use immodium liquid gels to plug the bung hole.
Immodium liquid gels aren't big enough to plug much, I recommend a plug with a skunk tail

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Immodium liquid gels aren't big enough to plug much, I recommend a plug with a skunk tail

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad