Is Mike Babcock a glorified Randy Carlyle?

Leafsmann

Jan 4, 2016
Let me explain.

He doesn''t take out bad player like Bozak or Polak for better young player in Leivo and Carrick. He talks a big game for changes, and doesn't deliver. He's only won 1 round since 2011. He is in fact the most overrated coach in hockey that only got there due to Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg. I don't see how he's different from Randy Carlyle.

Reactions: MisterNoItAll

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I mean, do you see any other coach winning more than a single round with the Red Wings of 2011-2015?

Babcock may be a touch overrated, but he is one of the best coaches in the business. Much better than Carlyle.
No he isnt. He got 1 cup on a stacked team. Leafs screwed up.

Not even a top10 coach.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Randy Carlyle? The guy whose team won the Pacific last year and played in the Conference finals?

The Ducks are currently in their window as far as the Stanley Cup. The Redwings window had passed during Mike’s last 5 years in Detroit and Toronto was in full rebuild when he took over. What he ‘s done the last two seasons is impressive. He’s teaching a young, inexperienced group of players how to be men and win in this league, and he’s done a very good job so far. The Leafs have to many holes still to be a true contender but I’d take Babcock in Montreal anyday of the week.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
He's a world class coach. Who understands how Leadership and Culture effect a team. I have no doubt he's going to be a big part why Leafs makes the playoffs for next 10 years.

Reactions: one77

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Babcock has 1 cup in 14 years of coaching. Carlyle 1 in 12 years of coaching. Career coaching stats are very similar. Both have coached good and talented teams.

Not including this season.

Babcock is 596-354
Carlyle is 410-283

Yet Babcock is regarded as the superior and higher paid coach despite coaching some stacked Red Wings teams. With only 1 cup to show for it.

Personally I think coach's have a limited shelf life, where players eventually tune out after time.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Leafs contention window went from wide open to slowly, inexorably closing. Getting wildly outshot every night, taking this long to demote Bozak, potential huge misjudgment on Polak utility, line blender. Babcock is coaching more like Paul MacLean than Mike Babcock, and that's something that heartens me as a Senators fan. Leafs may need a roster shakeup at this point, losers of last five with a very, very tough next three games ahead of them.

Reactions: Rebels57

Leafsmann

Jan 4, 2016
Babcock has 1 cup in 14 years of coaching. Carlyle 1 in 12 years of coaching. Career coaching stats are very similar. Both have coached good and talented teams.

Babcock is 596-354
Carlyle is 410-283

Yet Babcock is regarded as the superior and higher paid coach despite coaching some stacked Red Wings teams. With only 1 cup to show for it.

Personally I think coach's have a limited shelf life, where players eventually tune out after time.

I agree. It's sad that people think he's a very good coach.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Leafs contention window went from wide open to slowly, inexorably closing. Getting wildly outshot every night, taking this long to demote Bozak, potential huge misjudgment on Polak utility, line blender. Babcock is coaching more like Paul MacLean than Mike Babcock, and that's something that heartens me as a Senators fan. Leafs may need a roster shakeup at this point, losers of last five with a very, very tough next three games ahead of them.

They haven't lost 5 in a row, it's 3 in a row.

I think Martin and Polak need to come out and they need Gardiner skating again

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I agree. It's sad that people think he's a very good coach.

I think Carlyle is a good coach also. So when I pointed out their career coaching records were similar. It was not a slight to Babcock. He is also a very good coach IMO. But miles better than Carlyle or others that are also good coaches. IE Quennville, Sullivan ect... No. From that standpoint I find him vastly overrated. But don't get me wrong, he is miles better than Maurice, but not miles better than the NHL's best coaches. If at all.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
There is so much wrong with this post lmao.

Went from opening to closing in 12 games? I guess Edmonton should start rebuilding then.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Let me explain.

He doesn''t take out bad player like Bozak or Polak for better young player in Leivo and Carrick. He talks a big game for changes, and doesn't deliver. He's only won 1 round since 2011. He is in fact the most overrated coach in hockey that only got there due to Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg. I don't see how he's different from Randy Carlyle.

You didn't get the response you wanted on the leafs board so you posted it again here eh..

Guess you can say the Canadian sky is already falling for some people in Leaf Land.
Those "some" people just don't understand the game from the bandwagon they travel upon.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Well you are right. I looked at coachlist in nhl and came away unimpressed. Not a top5 coach though

Quenville
Peter laviolette
Mike Yeo
Guy boucher
Mike sullivan

You have Mike Yeo and Guy Boucher over Babcock? What?

Babcock is 596-354
Carlyle is 410-283

Coaches do have a shelf life, some very short, some longer. But that’s what made Babcock so impressive. He hadn’t lost the room in 10 years of coaching Detroit. And they were more then willing to have him back and pay him big money but he opted out because he was looking for change. Not to many coaches can say they left a coaching job on their own accord like that and have just about every other team lining up to hire him at the same time.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Babcock is 596-354
Carlyle is 410-283

How many seasons would you say those Detroit Red Wings teams were stacked?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Let me explain.

Every single thread you start is meant to be inflammatory. Thinly veiled attempts, bud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad