Is McDavid Gunning for 100 assists?

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Going back to 1997, McDavid now has the 2nd highest goals total, and the 2nd highest assist total, in a single season.
By season end it'll change to 3rd highest goal total (Matthews), but 1st for assists.

He needs 3 assists in his next 10 games to reach most assists my any mortal player. He almost certainly overtakes Orr too.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
If Mcdavid records 10 assists over his last 11 games, which is basically his normal rate of assisting over the last 4 years, he will have the most assists in a season outside anyone not named Wayne Gretzky.

He does that and he wins the Hart no?

Media loves a narrative, and a story doesn't get much better than that.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If Mcdavid records 10 assists over his last 11 games, which is basically his normal rate of assisting over the last 4 years, he will have the most assists in a season outside anyone not named Wayne Gretzky.

Mario Lemieux had 114 in 76 games, while scoring 85 goals

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021

Lemieux had 114 assists in 88-89.

I think the media has locked in on Hart for MacK no matter what and combined with voter fatigue, don't think there's anything McDavid could do to sway that narrative.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Lemieux had 114 assists in 88-89.

I think the media has locked in on Hart for MacK no matter what and combined with voter fatigue, don't think there's anything McDavid could do to sway that narrative.
Meh 20 assists in 11 games... challenge accepted!

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
You know, you see the generational talents, and you occasionally even think about how each individual landed where they landed. But I never stopped to think about the odds that McDavid would land with Gretzky's Oilers, while Crosby played for Lemieux's Penguins.

Yeah... like I said. Fans of those too franchises have been incredibly blessed. We know it and honestly it's been fun.

Well most of it anyway... I could go on a rant about the decade(s) of darkness and how Oilers fans deserve McDavid, but, c'mon... blind, irrational loyalty doesn't earn anybody anything in the real world... why should it in hockey?

And who knows, maybe opposing fans are right and the bitter joke will be that our management is wasting McDavid, or we'll never see a championship... but... I won't say that's ok with me, but I will say seeing McDavid do his damned-est every night to prove people wrong really is it's own reward and has been for the better part of a decade.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Only the first player since Wayne Gretzky to get 3 consecutive 120+ point seasons and this is an off year for him

And could easily have been 5 in a row if not for two COVID shortened seasons where he scored 97 in 64 and 105 in 56 respectively for an average pace of 138 per 82 games.

That would have tied him with Esposito as one of only two OTHER players (other than Gretz) in history to score 120 points in 5 consecutive seasons. Honorable mention to Lemieux who easily would have done it for 9-10 seasons consecutively if not for his health issues.

Last edited:

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
That would have tied him with Esposito as one of only two players in history to score 120 points in 5 consecutive seasons. Honorable mention to Lemieux who easily would have done it for 9-10 seasons consecutively if not for his health issues.
I'm sure I'm just miss-reading and you aren't suggesting it would have tied him with Esposito and it's just those 2 that would have had 5 straight 120+ point seasons.....so one of only three players then? Wonder if anyone can surpass Gretzky's 13 straight seasons of 120+ points :)

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I'm sure I'm just miss-reading and you aren't suggesting it would have tied him with Esposito and it's just those 2 that would have had 5 straight 120+ point seasons.....so one of only three players then? Wonder if anyone can surpass Gretzky's 13 straight seasons of 120+ points :)

Lol... you are totally right. In my mind it was "one of only two OTHER players". Gretz of course is assumed! I'll edit.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Lol... you are totally right. In my mind it was "one of only two OTHER players". Gretz of course is assumed! I'll edit.
I think that just goes to show the craziness of Gretzky's dominance...it's just assumed, no need to mention him.

Reactions: bucks_oil

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Yeah... like I said. Fans of those too franchises have been incredibly blessed. We know it and honestly it's been fun.

Well most of it anyway... I could go on a rant about the decade(s) of darkness and how Oilers fans deserve McDavid, but, c'mon... blind, irrational loyalty doesn't earn anybody anything in the real world... why should it in hockey?

And who knows, maybe opposing fans are right and the bitter joke will be that our management is wasting McDavid, or we'll never see a championship... but... I won't say that's ok with me, but I will say seeing McDavid do his damned-est every night to prove people wrong really is it's own reward and has been for the better part of a decade.
Take consolation in the fact that one team is awarded the Stanley Cup every year, and that team may or may not be the best team in the league at the time. It's really a coin flip once a team has made it to the playoffs.

But only one team's fanbase can say they've had the privlege of watching Gretzky, or Lemieux, or Orr, or Hasek represent their franchise. Those players are far more rare than a Championship. So given the choice of seeing my team win a Stanley Cup or watch a true generational talent, I don't fault anyone who would prefer to see McDavid play night in and night out for twenty years.

foame

Jan 26, 2008
So far McDavid has assisted on 96 out of the 262 goals Edmonton has scored. It gives a very impressive percentage; 96/262 ~= 36.6%.
Now, I haven't checked any other player but provided my calculations aren't wrong 36.6% is a number Gretzky only managed to reach once! In 1985-86 when he assisted on 163 out of the 426 goals Edmonton potted that year, 163/426 ~= 38.3%. Gretzky was close in 1990-91 when he assisted on 122 out of LAs 340 goals ~= 35.9%.

WalterLundy

Nov 7, 2023
Pittsburgh, PA
Mario Lemieux had 114 in 76 games, while scoring 85 goals
For the record that Lemieux season (in my opinion his premiere season as one who saw his whole career up close) would look like this if translated to 2023-24 NHL scoring levels:

2023-24: EVG: 2.36, PPG: 0.63, SHG: 0.09
1988-89: EVG: 2.53, PPG: 1.06, SHG: 0.15

‘89 Lemieux:
76 GP: 64 G, 89 A, 153 PTS (2.01)
(38 EVG, 18 PPG, 8 SHG)
(57 EVA, 29 PPA, 3 SHA)

82 game paces of 69 goals, 96 assists and 165 points.

I have to give credit to a poster named TheStatician for this adjustment method. It’s by far the best in my opinion.

This ‘89 season played now is essentially ‘23 McDavid’s exact numbers but in 6 less games. I will say that as far as pure assists come though that ‘24 McDavid has a clearly better assists per game than any Lemieux season would if translated to 2024 levels. The only seasons that top it in total or for APG are Gretzky’s 4-5 best assist years so to me that’s ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad