Is McDavid Gunning for 100 assists?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
People can talk about increased scoring over the past 7 seasons all they like, but McDavid is still doing this in a league that is only on the level of one like 1995-1996 (though with less PP/PPO today).

For some perspective, Lemieux had 92 assists in 70 games that year. McDavid has 91 assists in 67 games this year.

Even to me, it remains mind-boggling that McDavid is doing anything in the realm of Lemieux, let alone Gretzky.
I don’t think There’s really anything he can do to realistically put himself above Gretzky, but these last two seasons he’s making a legitimate case of being better than Lemieux IMO

Wow! Incredibly original! What tired & lame things will people say when he does win?
He didn’t win twice. Bust

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Don't forget Lemieux also did so while scoring 69 goals in those 70 games as well, while McDavid has 26 goals in 68 this season. Just like the fact Lemieux's highest assist season also had him scoring 85 goals, he didn't have to focus more on playmaking to get those ridiculous assist totals. That's the only thing that keeps Connor from reaching that level in my mind at least. I do find it incredible however that McDavid can just decide to become the best at something and then go out and do it. Similar to how Crosby would pick a part of his game to work on, Connor has done that and seemingly taken it up a notch. Wants to score more goals? Wins the rocket with 64. 100 assist season? No problem!

I just can't see him ever surpassing Lemieux but it's very clear he's been the best player since Mario. I hope he wins a cup just so we don't have to hear forever how he isn't an all-time great because he hasn't won one, that is just absurd. It will be the big 5 by the time it's all said and done. As a Pens fan, it's clear as day he's better than Crosby ever was. Again, this doesn't mean Crosby is any worse than he is, it's just that McDavid happens to be better. I don't get the people who feel the need to tear down one player just to build up another. Hockey fans should consider themselves very lucky to watch such an amazing talent.

Great post... as an Oiler fan I feel incredibly blessed to have witnessed the best of Gretzky and the best of McDavid. I'm sure as a Pens fan you have similar feelings with Lemieux and Crosby.

In my mind, (and my 12 year old memory agrees) I have never witnessed a more exciting player to watch than McDavid. There is of course the profound mystery around the Great One's greatness... like how, just how, could that skinny wimp do it... that was the maestro brilliance of it all.

But the game is faster now than it ever has been and to watch McDavid slice through defenders the way he does... I've just never seen anything like it. Goal or no goal, assist or bungled pass, he has the hair on my skin standing up at least 2-3 times per week, sometimes 2-3 times per game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fourier

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
So I assume that Ted Williams was not actually a great hitter then.
No one said he wasn't a great hitter. Let me tell you something that you apparently don't understand (somehow lol). If McDavid doesn't win a cup as the leader and captain of the Edmonton franchise, then no one serious is going to say he is a top 5 player of all time. Facts don't care about your feelings.

• Haha
Reactions: nbwingsfan

devo09

Feb 20, 2012
I've always found it weird how Americans are insistent on using the term Mount Rushmore for hockey.

Why are we bringing up American politicians into a discuss about Canadian hockey players?

If anyone gets kicked out of the top 4, it would be Mario.
I’m Canadian. Small town Albertan which is basically the highest level of Canadian.

What I meant was if McDavid leads his team to a cup then he gets put on a VERY short list of the greatest players of all time.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
No one said he wasn't a great hitter. Let me tell you something that you apparently don't understand (somehow lol). If McDavid doesn't win a cup as the leader and captain of the Edmonton franchise, then no one serious is going to say he is a top 5 player of all time. Facts don't care about your feelings.
Ted Williams never won a World Series. Nor did Ty Cobb. Both are viewed as top 5 players of all time in a sport that has a fair bit of tradition.

Winning in the NHL, especially in a 30+ team league with a salary cap is a team thing. Serious people should understand this.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Ted Williams never won a World Series. Nor did Ty Cobb. Both are viewed as top 5 players of all time in a sport that has a fair bit of tradition.
Are you comparing baseball to hockey? LMAO.

Winning in the NHL, especially in a 30+ team league with a salary cap is a team thing. Serious people should understand this.
Cope harder.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Great post... as an Oiler fan I feel incredibly blessed to have witnessed the best of Gretzky and the best of McDavid. I'm sure as a Pens fan you have similar feelings with Lemieux and Crosby.

You know, you see the generational talents, and you occasionally even think about how each individual landed where they landed. But I never stopped to think about the odds that McDavid would land with Gretzky's Oilers, while Crosby played for Lemieux's Penguins.

Reactions: olli

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey

Curious to see who is in this MLB top 5

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Watch McDavid not win as the main piece of the Oilers and see what his legacy is lol. How naive.
Your short-term memory is going. I said that the whole exercise of gatekeeping your "pantheon of greats" is a reductive effort for casual fans. Ergo, not naive. I simply don't subscribe to your outlook. I'd rather assess hockey players by the hockey they play.

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
by 2200 at the latest, long after we are all gone, McDavid will be the unanimous #2 best player of all time. Gretzky's hockeydb.com will always have future generations in awe, but McDavid's career highlights in 4k Ultra HD will outlive and outshine any other tales of greatness that could be told

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
interesting that you state "facts don't care about your feelings" at the end of post based solely on your feelings with no facts to back it up....the irony is thick with this one.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Are you comparing baseball to hockey? LMAO.

Cope harder.
Tell me what makes hockey such a special sport that individuals can win without a great team behind them . And tell me someone in the top 5 who won a cup on a team that did not have multiple Hall of famers on it.

Of the major team sports basketball and to a lesser degree football are the two where having the best player in the League makes you an almost automatic contender. This has never been the case in Hockey at anytime in the almost 60 years I have watched the sport.

Howe won his first cup in 1950 in a six team league on a team that had Sid Abel, Red Kelly and Ted Lindsey with Harry Lumley in net and Terry Sawchuk as a backup. That's 5 guys on the HFBoards top 100 list.

Gretzky won on a team with 7 future Hall of Famers and 4 on the top 100 list. Those teams also had guys like Andy Moog, Esa Tikkanen, Ken Linseman, Craig Simpson Kent Nilsson in support roles.

Lemieux won his first in 91 with Coffey and Jagr, as well as ``supporting players'' like Joe Mullen, Mark Recchi, Larry Murphy, and Ron Francis and just for fun Bryan Trottier.

The number five guy on the HFB top 100 is Hull. He won one cup in 1961. That team was probably the weakest of the teams anyone of the top five won with. But it was a 6 team league. I never saw Hull in the NHL but I watched him a fair bit live in the WHA. Great player even then but McDavid's record in terms of hardware has already surpassed Hull.

The other typical name you see in #6 is Maurice Richard. I think anyone who has ever followed hockey know how dominant those 50's Habs team were.

Top five of all time will always be subjective. But right now I doubt you will find very many people who watched the 80's Oilers who would put Messier ahead of McDavid right now even right with his six rings. Give McDavid another 8-12 years and if he remans healthy it won't even be close. So maybe winning a Championship is not an absolute in comparing top players.

Last edited:

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
And let me guess, by "serious" you mean anyone having the same opinion as you, right?

As a side note, I am pretty sure that most people would still consider Mario a top 5 player even if he didn't win in 91 and 92. But let me guess, you would not....

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
But right now I doubt you will find very many people who watched the 80's Oilers who would put Messier ahead of McDavid right now even right with his six rings
Just go ask on social media sites.
Those are mainly unmedicated boomers that will easily side with Messier.
Grit, leadership = RESULTS etc etc

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Just go ask on social media sites.
Those are mainly unmedicated boomers that will easily side with Messier.
Grit, leadership = RESULTS etc etc
I have a lot of friends and family that had season tickets from back then. I don't know anyone who thinks that. I'll bet if you checked on our board it would be pretty lobsided in McDavid's favour if you asked who was the better player.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Judging a player's career on whether he won a Stanley Cup or not is asinine. Winning a Cup is a team effort, it never ever hinges on on player, no matter how well he performs. It also gets increasingly harder to win one the more teams the league has. Needless to say, there is a difference whether about 1/6 of all players win a Cup every year, or about 1/32 of all players.

The only thing to judge a player by, are his individual performances. That includes whether he performed well in the playoffs. If a player delivers beyond what you can realistically expect yet his team doesn't win, that's nothing the player can do anything about.

Ray Bourque didn't magically become a better player just because he won a Cup on a stacked Colorado team. He was still a very good defenseman that year, but not remotely close to the player he was in 88, 90 or 91, when he didn't win the Cup. How come a good performance with a Cup-win is supposed to say more about a player than multiple amazing ones without a win?

Dominik Hasek won the Cup on a stacked Red Wings team. He wasn't as good as he was in prior runs. He had another great playoff run later on in which he didn't win, and then won another Cup were he lost his job as a starter. It would be weird to say the least to claim that this second Cup somehow enhanced Hasek's career when he was mostly warming the bench in the playoffs.

Jaromir Jagr won the Cup in his first two seasons, but never even reached the finals afterwards, even though he was a much better player in those years. Wayne Gretzky never won a Cup after leaving Edmonton, Edmonton did win one without him. The list goes on and on.

Winning a Cup or even Cups says nothing about a player's skill or career performance. Winning a Cup is about being at the right place at the right time. You can suck badly in the playoffs but still win the Cup. You can be a largely irrelevant bottom-liner who didn't do much and still win a Cup. Just like you can rip the league apart and not win the Cup. If one player delivers year after year up until a high age but never wins a Cup, and another player has a short peak before fading, staying on as a somewhat decent depth player, why exactly should the former be punished for not winning while the latter gets more acclaim due to riding the coat-tails of others?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Let’s play a game here. Let’s assume something crazy happens:

McDavid reaches 2000pts in his career

McDavid wins the Hart/Art Ross 9 more times

McDavid leads the playoffs in scoring (by a large margin) and goes to let’s say 3 SCF but loses each time because Skinner or whichever goalie forgets to stop pucks

You still wouldn’t call him a top 5 player of all time because he didn’t win a TEAM award?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You know, you see the generational talents, and you occasionally even think about how each individual landed where they landed. But I never stopped to think about the odds that McDavid would land with Gretzky's Oilers, while Crosby played for Lemieux's Penguins.
Don’t forget Filip Zadina landing on Howe’s Red Wings!

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Howe won his first cup in 1950 in a six team league on a team that had Sid Abel, Red Kelly and Ted Lindsey with Harry Lumley in net and Terry Sawchuk as a backup. That's 5 guys on the HFBoards top 100 list.

Don’t forget also that Howe didn’t even play a full game during his first Cup win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad