Is McDavid Gunning for 100 assists?

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
People can talk about increased scoring over the past 7 seasons all they like, but McDavid is still doing this in a league that is only on the level of one like 1995-1996 (though with less PP/PPO today).

For some perspective, Lemieux had 92 assists in 70 games that year. McDavid has 91 assists in 67 games this year.

Even to me, it remains mind-boggling that McDavid is doing anything in the realm of Lemieux, let alone Gretzky.
Don't forget Lemieux also did so while scoring 69 goals in those 70 games as well, while McDavid has 26 goals in 68 this season. Just like the fact Lemieux's highest assist season also had him scoring 85 goals, he didn't have to focus more on playmaking to get those ridiculous assist totals. That's the only thing that keeps Connor from reaching that level in my mind at least. I do find it incredible however that McDavid can just decide to become the best at something and then go out and do it. Similar to how Crosby would pick a part of his game to work on, Connor has done that and seemingly taken it up a notch. Wants to score more goals? Wins the rocket with 64. 100 assist season? No problem!

I just can't see him ever surpassing Lemieux but it's very clear he's been the best player since Mario. I hope he wins a cup just so we don't have to hear forever how he isn't an all-time great because he hasn't won one, that is just absurd. It will be the big 5 by the time it's all said and done. As a Pens fan, it's clear as day he's better than Crosby ever was. Again, this doesn't mean Crosby is any worse than he is, it's just that McDavid happens to be better. I don't get the people who feel the need to tear down one player just to build up another. Hockey fans should consider themselves very lucky to watch such an amazing talent.

TopShelfYzerman

Gm 7 Double OT
Jan 3, 2011
USA
www.youtube.com
Don't forget Lemieux also did so while scoring 69 goals in those 70 games as well, while McDavid has 26 goals in 68 this season. Just like the fact Lemieux's highest assist season also had him scoring 85 goals, he didn't have to focus more on playmaking to get those ridiculous assist totals. That's the only thing that keeps Connor from reaching that level in my mind at least. I do find it incredible however that McDavid can just decide to become the best at something and then go out and do it. Similar to how Crosby would pick a part of his game to work on, Connor has done that and seemingly taken it up a notch. Wants to score more goals? Wins the rocket with 64. 100 assist season? No problem!

I just can't see him ever surpassing Lemieux but it's very clear he's been the best player since Mario. I hope he wins a cup just so we don't have to hear forever how he isn't an all-time great because he hasn't won one, that is just absurd. It will be the big 5 by the time it's all said and done. As a Pens fan, it's clear as day he's better than Crosby ever was. Again, this doesn't mean Crosby is any worse than he is, it's just that McDavid happens to be better. I don't get the people who feel the need to tear down one player just to build up another. Hockey fans should consider themselves very lucky to watch such an amazing talent.

Mcdavid will never pot the points Gretzky or Lemieux did but he is the best physical specimen EVER to come close in todays game. Today's game with his physical apptitude would net him 200+ in the gretzky/lemieux age when you account for his intelligence.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Mario won 2 Sc's when the Pens were bosltered by a great many excellent players and then never really got clsoe after the 92 SC.

People make too big of a deal about a guy not having a SC in a 32 team salary cap league.

Either they are ignorant of the facts or should know better one would think.
Nah, you need to win if you want to be considered a great one, period. Guy needs to win in Edmonton or he isn't the guy.

• Haha
Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I just realized McDavid needs 31 points in his next 18 games to become the third fastest player in NHL history to score 1,000 points behind Gretzky and Lemieux. The guy is just racking up milestones.
Random but what is crazy too is how Gretzky got 1036 points in 5 seasons (from 1981-1982 to 1985-1986). I mean how insane is that considering McDavid might not even make it to 1000 in 9 season despite being the biblical beast that he is.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Cool! See where he lands in the pantheon of greats if he never wins it and is the bus driver.
The point being, who cares if he enters the pantheon of greats if reductive casual fans are writing the rules of admission? You can have it.

I hope you enjoy the symposium on why Henri is exactly 37.5% better than Maurice, 'neath a mural of Larry Hillman.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
He's also been passing more before 100 assists was ever really on the table. Not a shooter at all this season, which is strange when you put up 60+ the year before. Still not betting against an injury that has limited his shot.
I can't help but wonder if his plan all along was to hit 100 assists. He was a sniper last season, why not switch it up and be an elite play-maker ? It throws teams off.

An injury also makes sense, though.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
I can't help but wonder if his plan all along was to hit 100 assists. He was a sniper last season, why not switch it up and be an elite play-maker ? It throws teams off.

An injury also makes sense, though.
Yeah, people were really questioning Connor McDavid’s ability to be an elite playmaker prior to this season

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Yeah, people were really questioning Connor McDavid’s ability to be an elite playmaker prior to this season
I don't think anyone ever questioned his play-making ability but last season he was notorious for shooting. Being a two arsenal player is as effective as being a switch hitter.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't think anyone ever questioned his play-making ability but last season he was notorious for shooting. Being a two arsenal player is as effective as being a switch hitter.

being the best playmaker and goalscorer at the same time sounds more effective to me if you're trying to switch things up than being the best playmaker by a bigger margin and the ~40th best goalscorer

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Random but what is crazy too is how Gretzky got 1036 points in 5 seasons (from 1981-1982 to 1985-1986). I mean how insane is that considering McDavid might not even make it to 1000 in 9 season despite being the biblical beast that he is.
Those 80's Oilers loaded with Hall of Famers probably scored more goals as a team in those 5 seasons against 5'9 goalies then the current Oilers team has scored in McDavid's career so far. It's pretty insane how ridiculous Gretzky's stats were and how many goals that team was scoring. Gretzky destroyed the league in the 80's, its hard to compare anyone to him.

Last edited:

devo09

Feb 20, 2012
Only a casual doesn't understand the importance of an all-time great needing to lead his team to a cup lmao.
True.
He’s going to be remembered as an all time great regardless, but if he leads the Oilers to a cup and has a 40+ point playoff run then we may need to change who is on hockey’s Mount Rushmore (Gretz, Orr,
Lemieux, Howe) sorry Gordie you’re out of the club.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
True.
He’s going to be remembered as an all time great regardless, but if he leads the Oilers to a cup and has a 40+ point playoff run then we may need to change who is on hockey’s Mount Rushmore (Gretz, Orr,
Lemieux, Howe) sorry Gordie you’re out of the club.
I've always found it weird how Americans are insistent on using the term Mount Rushmore for hockey.

Why are we bringing up American politicians into a discuss about Canadian hockey players?

If anyone gets kicked out of the top 4, it would be Mario.

Reactions: TopShelfYzerman

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Nah, you need to win if you want to be considered a great one, period. Guy needs to win in Edmonton or he isn't the guy.
So I assume that Ted Williams was not actually a great hitter then. And there is also that Ty Cobb guy. I always thought he was a great one but I guess I was wrong. You learn something everyday on this site.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
wonder how he'd be doing with the 2 line pass rule
Personally, I think he'd be more dangerous. With the two line rule, Dmen are on the offensive half, hugging the center line. While there would be less room to break out, waaay more room north/south to get past the defensemen.

McDavid would have 1/2 the ice to just skate around defensive with his speed. He wouldn't run out of ice like he does now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad