Is Matthew Tkachuk better than Auston Matthews?

Is Tkachuk better than Matthews?

• Yes, now and going forward

• Yes, at least for this season

• No, points aren't everything

Results are only viewable after voting.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
No, I'll take the 60 goal scoring 2 way Centre. It's weird how fast Matthews has gone underrated around here after one subpar shooting year, after two completely insane goal scoring seasons.

Reactions: Felidae

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Matthew Tkachuk just scored the goal to send his team to the Stanley Cup finals and has had a monstrous playoff run.

• Love
Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I think it's fair to say that Tkachuk has had the better season (and playoffs).

But Matthews is still the better overall player.
Matthews certainly has had a better career and track record, but I would say that this year Tkachuk has been the better overall player.

If this is a one-off season and Matthews is better next year, we can say it was just a career year that lined up with a down year for AM. If Tkachuk is better again, maybe he's just improving more now and has passed Matthews.

I would need to see Tkachuk do it for at least one more year to entertain the possibility, but Regular season + playoff this year Tkachuk has had a better year than any of Matthews, including his 60 goal hart season. Tkachuk is a Hart nominee and he is after 3 rounds a huge threat to win the CS, he just scored 3 game winning goals in the conference finals, 2 in OT and 1 a last minute goal to break a tie. I'm taking 2022-23 Tkachuk over any year of Matthews

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Recency bias at work of course but if you polled all 32 GMs today on who they would rather have on their team… my guess is we would have pretty close to a clean sweep for Tkachuk . And that’s not a slight against Matthews.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
matthews is running into a little bit of what Ovi use to get because he has zero playoff success . No matter what in this sport, fans judge you on winning. Hell, Mcjesus still gets lots of hate for not making it to the finals yet despite having no team around him with zero goaltending. Nevermind that he led the playoffs in scoring last year only playing 3 rounds and currently still 3rd in scoring after only playing 2 rounds. You do have to love what Tkachuk brings to the playoffs. Its the die trying attitude that he appears to have while matthews doesnt show that.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No. But it’s a hell of a lot closer after this year. Matthews needs to do something in the playoffs next year or I think it flips to Tkachuk even as a winger if he has another year like this last one. Matthews will be 26 this fall and, while there are exceptions, most star players have had at least one dominant playoff by that age. Matthews hasn’t even come close to having that type of playoffs.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Recency bias at work of course but if you polled all 32 GMs today on who they would rather have on their team… my guess is we would have pretty close to a clean sweep for Tkachuk . And that’s not a slight against Matthews.
This. It's hard to step away from all the contractual components. But straight up if you asked me who I'd rather have on the ice for my team tomorrow in Game 7, I pick Tkachuk. I think this actually does mean that Tkachuk is a better player, no? :dunno:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Man Calgary The last several years

Adam Fox
Matthew Tkachuk
Johnny Gaudreau

Yikes

Forget something in the water. Is there even water in Calgary ?

• Haha
Reactions: rotiman187

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He’s certainly been better this season.

Would I trade Matthews for Tkachuk 1 for 1?

Lol of course not.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Man Calgary The last several years

Adam Fox
Matthew Tkachuk
Johnny Gaudreau

Yikes

Forget something in the water. Is there even water in Calgary ?

Adam Fox was dead set going to New York, he was traded to Carolina and did not even sign there.

Matthew Tkachuk, our idiot GM gave him a bridge deal.

Gaudreau, our idiot owner had to step in and be a moron.

Bennett, our idiot coaches did not know how to develop him.

When the Flames had Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Bennett, they were not able to win shit. It is good to see Tkachuk doing good but he would not have not done well here in Calgary, I think.

He’s certainly been better this season.

Would I trade Matthews for Tkachuk 1 for 1?

Lol of course not.

Take Matthews if you want a vanilla type player for the postseason.

Take Tkachuk if you want sandpaper and win in the playoffs.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Tkachuk is having an all time great playoff run right now. It will cement how he is viewed for his career, to be honest. The Tkachuk Leadership Award kind of stuff. Is it actually predictive of their future success? Shrug. Matthews has been the better player every year but this one.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I take Tkachuk any day... People keep talking about just points when comparing them but it's all the other stuff Tkachuk does that definately separates him... I bet if u ask GM's and coaches around the league, Tkachuk would be the overwhelming choice

Points aren't everything? Tkachuk is a better point producer and all around player. What kind of weird vote is happening in here?
It's bizzare I agree lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad