Is KHL still the best league in Europe?

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
KHL has a higher high end, but lower low end than the SHL. So it depends on what you prefer.

The best talent outside of North America is commonly in the KHL. SHL, Liiga, Czechia, etc. have some top guys, but they are usually a small handful of a select few that are often taken high in drafts and quickly make the NHL. A few late-bloomers eventually can make the NHL as well, but I think the KHL probably has more than all of those leagues combined.

It is more common to see non-elite prospects come from the KHL and immediately crack an NHL lineup vs. the SHL (although it is more common recently, usually Russians didn't even bother coming over until they were able to do so). I think unless you are in the top-tier of SHL talent (i.e. top 5 or maybe top 10 talents), you usually need to spend time in the AHL before making it to the NHL... And I think even the likes of Hardy Haman Aktell (a guy who should be among the most attractive Euro UFA's this year, if not the undisputed #1) will likely need at least one year in the AHL before he can seriously challenge for an NHL job. Whereas Grigori Dronov, who is the same age and is also a LHD who should attract NA interest again this year, could realistically challenge for an NHL job next year...

Or we can just look at how Kuzmenko, Bobrovsky, Panarin, Zub, Zaitsev, Mikheyev, etc. all made the direct jump to the NHL after being signed out of the KHL as UFA's and stayed there. I don't think any SHL players have directly made the NHL after being signed as UFA's. Bjork on CBJ is probably the closest to it that I can recall, and that took a crap ton of injuries.

Personally, the more interesting question is where the AHL ranks on the list. I think some of the Euro leagues have more high end talent, but I think an average AHL squad would beat an average squad in any of the Euro leagues. Would actually be interesting to see a modified version of the Champions League involving the AHL if it were not for the cost aspect.

The AHL isn't comparable. Its a development league with only a few roster spots allocated to veteran players. Player development takes precedence over winning.
It's not uncommon for better older players to be given less ice time than prospects (who have higher upsides).

Reactions: mattihp and Rigafan

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Does not matter to you, as you can notice that even here there are a lot of people who clearly care about it. If that's not enough to you, you can always visit the Michkov's thread where it is almost like a holywar already lol. :)
Does not matter in the context of international tournaments. That fair enough :)?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Does not matter in the context of international tournaments. That fair enough :)?
Kind of, but are you sure we won't see any of the KHL foreigners in the World Championships? I mean, I know that some teams announced that they won't invite those, but I didn't follow up if all of them won't. Still I'm sure Kazakhstan and China players will be participating, last time I checked they weren't banned.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Kind of, but are you sure we won't see any of the KHL foreigners in the World Championships? I mean, I know that some teams announced that they won't invite those, but I didn't follow up if all of them won't. Still I'm sure Kazakhstan and China players will be participating, last time I checked they weren't banned.
I mean I don't know for sure. But if I had to bet money on it, I'd bet on zero KHLers in the WCH.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Even if completely without KHLers, that tells us more about the WC than the KHL. The World Championship used to be a B tournament because of the NHL playoffs. But nevertheless you could call yourself the best of the rest. Without Russia or players from the KHL, this tournament is no longer worth mentioning. You can continue to lie to each other and pretend that Russia doesn't exist, but from a sporting point of view this tournament should be renamed, cause it’s clearly not a world championship anymore. IIHF and friends or something like that.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Not only Kazakhs but guys like Drozg or Da Costa are also almost certain to be there. Bad bet to take.

Some Slovaks as well I guess

Even if completely without KHLers, that tells us more about the WC than the KHL. The World Championship used to be a B tournament because of the NHL playoffs. But nevertheless you could call yourself the best of the rest. Without Russia or players from the KHL, this tournament is no longer worth mentioning. You can continue to lie to each other and pretend that Russia doesn't exist, but from a sporting point of view this tournament should be renamed, cause it’s clearly not a world championship anymore. IIHF and friends or something like that.

Not worth mentioning for Russia yes, but for the rest it will go as usual. There will be a lot of good teams and good hockey. Of course it is not the best vs best tournament, but KHL has no influence on that, or almost none

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
I doubt Da Costa will be there. The FFHG publishes news about French players from abroad on a regular basis and never mentions the KHL. Auvitu only started to be mentionned after his move to Geneva a couple of months ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad