Speculation: Is Kapanen really part of this team's future?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Do we just see Kap as the future because we traded Kessel for him?

I really wish he was a better player. I just don't see it though.

I suppose we will probably know by the TDL what mgmt sees for him.

If he cracks the line-up and plays a top 9 role next season then big deal? We probably could have found the same thing via UFA.

I think many saw a spark in his play last season, but this year is that same thing there? Why isn't he a major stand out on the Marlies? Is he not getting his ice time there too?

If you strip away the emotion of the Kessel trade, do we even care about Kap?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't understand why the TDL, is the defining moment in Kapanen's career as a Leafs. And yeah you can find the same as in UFA next year, but for 863,000, and a 22 year old. Doubtful.

Admitting Kapanen has to prove himself as a NHLer and soon. But take a look at the 2014 draft, there are many players drafted before him that are still considered NHL prospects, without the AHL pedigree of Kapanen.
Next year, JVR, Kapanen maybe Soshnikov will gone. Kapanen has an opportunity to. be an NHLer with the Leafs.

Why do people, well Leaf fans even care about Kapanen? Because right now, he is their only AHL winger that is NHL ready.

Reactions: The Cobra

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I mean PPG player in the AHL at age 20 and nearly a PPG player again this season. Strong two-way winger with elite speed and a great shot. The Marlies have a lot of good depth and talent. He's just one of the names out there.

Why wouldn't you be excited about his potential? Looks like he's started to fill out his frame too. He's NHL-ready.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I would assume he is, but hes only 22, so lets relax a little here. People may not agree with Polak and Martin etc. playing, but you cannot just throw a bunch of young players into the lineup all at once, there needs to be balance, watch Star Wars.

Reactions: Doc300c and coupe93

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
This isn't the old Maple Leafs where if a player wasn't a star by age 21 they'd trade him.

I'd be stunned if he isn't a F/T Leaf next season. And for the foreseeable future.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think expectations from some people have been too high because he's a former 1st rounder and because he's the main piece we got back for Kessel (aside from capspace). We're probably hoping for a ~30-40 point two-way forward that can play the PK, rather than expecting a ~50+ point guy (though that's still an outside possibility).

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
not a standout on the marlies?

he leads the team in goals per game and points per game by a healthy margin, and is only a few months from being the youngest player on the team still.

Marlies 82gm scoring paces:

1.Kapanen (21): 41gls/72pts
2.Soshnikov (24): 29gls/70pts
3.Smith (29): 36gls/67pts
4.Johnson (23): 36gls/63pts
5.Mueller (31): 17gls/51pts

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I think expectations from some people have been too high because he's a former 1st rounder and because he's the main piece we got back for Kessel (aside from capspace). We're probably hoping for a ~30-40 point two-way forward that can play the PK, rather than expecting a ~50+ point guy.

I feel a lot of people are higher on him now than when we first acquired him in the Kessel trade. Don't think him being part of that trade has anything to do with the expectations of him.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
giphy.gif

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Don't see why he still wouldn't be. He's been right there in the mix with Leivo and Sosh when we need a winger beyond our top 8, but unlike Leivo and Sosh, he can go to the Marlies, so that's his lot right now. Imagine this offseason helps to clear some of the forward logjam we currently have.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'm not sure how Kap or Leivo can be assessed based on the games they've played....here and there. I was hoping both these guys would get an extended look, but apparently playing Matt Martin every game and not rotating anyone out is more important

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not sure how Kap or Leivo can be assessed based on the games they've played....here and there. I was hoping both these guys would get an extended look, but apparently playing Matt Martin every game and not rotating anyone out is more important

This is where a good GM just pulls rank and moves a guy like Polak off roster. That is a GM option, he can waive him and nothing babs can do but throw a stink.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
When the cap crunch comes, we will need cheap skilled players like Kapanen.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This is where a good GM just pulls rank and moves a guy like Polak off roster. That is a GM option, he can waive him and nothing babs can do but throw a stink.
One of 3 UFAs should have been moved in the summer.
You work a new rookie in this year and you work a new rookie in next year. Instead of all 3 walking and insert 3 rookies.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He's a good young player who's closer to the roster than any other winger on the Marlies. He'll have a chance to make the team for good in September. In the meantime he's trade bait.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't have a problem with many of the comments here and all those in favour of Kap.

I just think that you could copy and paste them and post them in a Leivo thread too. We all know about his Marlies success and his NHL career is nothing to be excited about. Many people guaranteed Leivo's place in the line-up too.

There are many possibilities for next season (in terms of graduating Marlies), and the other possibility is that the leafs could get another UFA veteran like Marleau.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't have a problem with many of the comments here and all those in favour of Kap.

I just think that you could copy and paste them and post them in a Leivo thread too. We all know about his Marlies success and his NHL career is nothing to be excited about. Many people guaranteed Leivo's place in the line-up too.

There are many possibilities for next season (in terms of graduating Marlies), and the other possibility is that the leafs could get another UFA veteran like Marleau.

Leivo was never as productive nor was he as hyped as Kapanen. Ever.

Not sure why you correlate Kapanen with Leivo. Completely different situation and potential. Leivo should be playing to be perfectly honest and just because he isn't, it doesn't mean it's the right decision.

Maybe Kapanen never makes it. Who the hell knows. You could say that about just any prospect for any other team.

If you've ever watched a Marlies game ever, which I doubt you have, you'd probably be in the same train of thought that Kapanen is definitely a player that should be in the NHL at this second. His play in the playoffs last year should be enough to tell you that. Take a step back and try to analyse the situation instead of taking a hot take to questionable levels.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Leivo was never as productive nor was he as hyped as Kapanen. Ever.

Not sure why you correlate Kapanen with Leivo. Completely different situation and potential. Leivo should be playing to be perfectly honest and just because he isn't, it doesn't mean it's the right decision.

Maybe Kapanen never makes it. Who the hell knows. You could say that about just any prospect for any other team.

If you've ever watched a Marlies game ever, which I doubt you have, you'd probably be in the same train of thought that Kapanen is definitely a player that should be in the NHL at this second. His play in the playoffs last year should be enough to tell you that. Take a step back and try to analyse the situation instead of taking a hot take to questionable levels.

I see your point. I just disagree with one part. Leivo has most certainly been hyped. When he scored 10 points in 13 games last season many fans thought he was a lock for this roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad