Injury Report: Is Jones playing through something?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
If Jones were playing through an injury and still winning games, I'd at least understand the reasoning of playing him. If we didn't have a capable backup and resting Jones meant starting someone like Stalock, I'd understand the reasoning.

But Jones playing injured is literally costing the team games and we do have a capable backup.

Sure you would.

He just beat the Kings.

Crapped the bed again and is being rested.

Some of you, with little real information to base it on, will take every opportunity to criticize this coaching staff. You have no idea if he was getting better and then had a relapse.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Sure you would.

He just beat the Kings.

Some of you, with little real information to base it on, will take every opportunity to criticize this coaching staff. You have no idea if he was getting better and then had a relapse.

You're right, we don't know that information for sure. However, we do know that Dell has outperformed Jones almost all year, and especially in the last month and a half. Injury or not, he should be playing right now. I like Jones, but he is just not good right now, for whatever reason.

I hope it's a nagging injury. If it isn't, then this is FAR more concerning to me.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Jones' strength is down low so the fact he's getting beat 5 hole means there's probably something wrong. I kinda hope he's hurt as long as it's not nagging or serious because the alternative means he's healthy and playing like trash for no reason.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sure you would.

He just beat the Kings.

Yeah actually, I would. :rolleyes:

You never ever criticize anything the coaching staff, no matter what, on the premise that ‘we have very little real information to base it on’. But whatever.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Yeah actually, I would. :rolleyes:

Well you didn't, since he just won a game and you said you'd understand if he was winning games. Apparently you forget recently relevant information.

You never ever criticize anything the coaching staff, no matter what, on the premise that ‘we have very little real information to base it on’. But whatever.

[MOD] I tend give the benefit of the doubt to professionals who actually, you know, assess these players in person and have degrees in their areas of expertise than random internet posters who think they know more than people who talk to the players and doctors every day.

Apparently you feel you can judge them without any of this knowledge or expertise.

Good luck with that.

Now if they kept playing Martin after it was obvious he was done I'd have a problem, but that complaint / fear made by many here never came true. How about some praise for the org for not doing that. When I see that then "maybe" I'll stop defending them at every turn, but since they get ZERO support here, I'll feel just fine standing up for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well you didn't, since he just won a game and you said you'd understand if he was winning games. Apparently you forget recently relevant information.

[MOD] I tend give the benefit of the doubt to professionals who actually, you know, assess these players in person and have degrees in their areas of expertise than random internet posters who think they know more than people who talk to the players and doctors every day.

Apparently you feel you can judge them without any of this knowledge or expertise.

Good luck with that.

Now if they kept playing Martin after it was obvious he was done I'd have a problem, but that complaint / fear made by many here never came true. How about some praise for the org for not doing that. When I see that then "maybe" I'll stop defending them at every turn, but since they get ZERO support here, I'll feel just fine standing up for them.

I sense some anger here.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah, he won...... one game..... alas you have beaten me.

Since the beginning of December, Jones has started 14 games. He's had a > .900 sv% in four of those games. He's won four of those games. And two of them were against LA, whom he always beats, regardless of how he's doing otherwise.

Good luck with that.

Your appeal to authority is not moving. This is a message board. You want people to stop posting opinions because we don't talk to the players every day? If you have a problem with conjecture, speculation, and opinions, this probably isn't the place for you.

I complimented the Sharks and Pete Deboer specifically for their cautious treatment of Couture's head injury mere weeks ago. But you were nowhere to be found. But yeah. ZERO support.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
After tonight, any chance Grosenick is playing tomorrow?
I'd go back to Dell.

Giving Grosenick a start under different circumstances would be fine, but with the tight-ish race in the division and a divisional opponent that's won a couple games recently, I think it makes sense to go back to Dell for this one. I think Dell is going again, but not sure if confirmed, but I'd bet money on it.

Actually, it has been comfirmed, in a post by you haha. I missed that before I replied!

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This isn't the 70s anymore. If the player wants to play, the coach really can't stop him, especially if it is a borderline injury.

I'm sure Jones is feeling threatened by Dell.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This isn't the 70s anymore. If the player wants to play, the coach really can't stop him, especially if it is a borderline injury.

I'm sure Jones is feeling threatened by Dell.
He should be feeling threatened by Dell, his play has been atrocious for close to 2 months. If we randomly cherrypick those performances against the Kings, it looks even uglier.

If he's got a legitimate injury, they shouldn't be allowing him to play though. Especially since he's a long term investment. If he has nagging soreness, which everybody does at this point, that's one thing, but if he has a legitimate injury, they really shouldn't be allowing him to play.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Jones has a guaranteed long-term high money contract. Dell is a UFA at the end of the season. What does he think is going to happen?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Jones has a guaranteed long-term high money contract. Dell is a UFA at the end of the season. What does he think is going to happen?

Of being usurped by Dell. The Sharks could easily re-sign Dell and then try to trade Jones.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Of being usurped by Dell. The Sharks could easily re-sign Dell and then try to trade Jones.

Jones has a partial NTC in which he would submit a 3-team trade list. The list could easily be “Rangers, Habs, Caps”. Then what? Do the Sharks play chicken and make him the backup with all that money they committed to him? If this past month is the real Jones (I don’t think it is, but for the sake of argument let’s say), we have a Pavelec, Ward situation on our hands.

I don’t think it’ll come to that but that’s how I think the situation would play out of Dell kept consistently outplaying Jones and the Sharks wanted to retain Dell.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Jones has a partial NTC in which he would submit a 3-team trade list. The list could easily be “Rangers, Habs, Caps”. Then what? Do the Sharks play chicken and make him the backup with all that money they committed to him? If this past month is the real Jones (I don’t think it is, but for the sake of argument let’s say), we have a Pavelec, Ward situation on our hands.

I don’t think it’ll come to that but that’s how I think the situation would play out of Dell kept consistently outplaying Jones and the Sharks wanted to retain Dell.

He could also pull a Fleury and waive to be a starter rather than a backup... not guaranteed but hypothetically possible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad