Is it time to move Mike Green? (aka the equally confused thread) x2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzai

Nov 21, 2008
Slow, lackadaisical, indecisive.

3 qualities a top pairing defender should have!

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Green was a top 20 NHL Dman for a couple years there. That's something to be proud of.

But yeah—he's not a top pair Dman anymore, and his injuries make him more trouble than he's worth even as a 2nd pairing guy.

It's not Green's fault that Ted and George don't know how to build a championship team.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Green was a top 20 NHL Dman for a couple years there. That's something to be proud of.

But yeah—he's not a top pair Dman anymore, and his injuries make him more trouble than he's worth even as a 2nd pairing guy.

It's not Green's fault that Ted and George don't know how to build a championship team.

I don't totally agree, despite tonight's debacle. It took Ovie, Backs and others 20+ games to learn Oates's system. Green is not only behind that in terms of the time he's had, but he's also learning how to play post-surgery. I believe he'll get better IF he can play some sustained games in a row.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I don't totally agree, despite tonight's debacle. It took Ovie, Backs and others 20+ games to learn Oates's system. Green is not only behind that in terms of the time he's had, but he's also learning how to play post-surgery. I believe he'll get better IF he can play some sustained games in a row.

I somehow like your optimism.

Feminine hijinx, I suspect.

But I'm over Green. I wish him all the best playing for some other team. I'm also over Laich, Schultz (goes without saying), Carlson (he'd bring back a nice player), Brouwer (he's a good 3rd line winger), and Ward.

I only dislike Schultz and Laich. But they are all too nice-guy ish. We need more vicious, less cup cake.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
There is no player I root harder for than Green.

That said it looks like he will never reach the level he was once at here in DC at least. Everytime he returns from injury I tell myself well he wont be the 31G 80 pt Green but perhaps he can have a Brian Campbell type of career.

If there are assets that help the Caps im all for moving him.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

But I'm over Green. I wish him all the best playing for some other team. I'm also over Laich, Schultz (goes without saying), Carlson (he'd bring back a nice player), Brouwer (he's a good 3rd line winger), and Ward.

I only dislike Schultz and Laich. But they are all too nice-guy ish. We need more vicious, less cup cake.

No way I'm ready to give up both Green and Carlson, particularly Carlson. He's still very young, especially for a D. He and Alzner have been lights-out in the playoffs.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

Well said, pretty much how I feel about it. I have been over Green for several seasons now. Should have traded him when we had the chance.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I feel like I sent out invitations to a party. And now three years later everyone is starting to show up. it's better late than never.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Do people really believe themselves when they say things like this?

Absolutely, why would a team give up anything of value to pay a guy six million dollars to play horrid defense, not score anywhere near as much as he used to & spend half the season on IR...?

Who is seriously lining up to pick up Mike Green? Guy is the Rick Dipietro of defense.

greenbeard113a.jpg

159550428-Rick-DiPietro.jpg

SlappaDaBass

May 7, 2012
I feel like I sent out invitations to a party. And now three years later everyone is starting to show up. it's better late than never.

Same here man. I have always hated Green from the get go and I think most people overlooked his atrocious defense and turnover prowess because he would actually contribute on the offensive side, when in reality he was always a terrible turnover machine who just got a lucky hot streak in goal scoring.

He single-handedly lost us the game last night with his pathetic stick work and learning Oates' system has nothing to do with that.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Tough game for Green for sure.

But be careful here...Caps fans should learn their mistakes from the past whether it was ushering Larry Murphy, Gonchar or Semin out the door.

Bad games happen to every player in the league. Its inevitable.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
It was a mistake to let Murph and Gonch go. Green is not in their class even when healthy which is never.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Absolutely, why would a team give up anything of value to pay a guy six million dollars to play horrid defense, not score anywhere near as much as he used to & spend half the season on IR...?

Who is seriously lining up to pick up Mike Green? Guy is the Rick Dipietro of defense.

He doesn't play horrid defense. Last night was just a bad game. While he's not putting up the points he used to, his transition game is still excellent.

Stop fooling yourself with the hyperbole. There are probably a dozen teams in the league, at least, that would take a chance on giving up assets for him.

Someone took on Scott freaking Gomez. Someone will take on Green.

Robert Theodorson

Apr 27, 2010
Washington DC
It was a mistake to let Murph and Gonch go. Green is not in their class even when healthy which is never.

Gonchar has always been a special kind of player. The kind of player that took a vicious knee to knee from OV and then came back to win the Cup a few weeks later.

Is there any doubt in anyone's mind if that was Green he would have cried and packed it upfor the rest of the postseason?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think it was a mistake for the coach GM players captain or media not address the fans and tell them to shut the hell up. What fans harasses their own player, every single time they touch the puck. Every time!!! Gonchar was getting whooped, right?

As far as I am concerned, Poile did those guys a personal favor moving them out. Yeah, I largely blame the fans.

I wish I could say the whooper fans learned how wrong they were after seeing those guys get their names engraved on the Cup, but who am I kidding. This is DC, not some dumbass redneck town, but it sure didnt seem like it.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I think it was a mistake for the coach GM players captain or media not address the fans and tell them to shut the hell up. What fans harasses their own player, every single time they touch the puck. Every time!!! Gonchar was getting whooped, right?

Philadelphia? Toronto?
Gonchar is terrible, Green is much better and if he starts thinking 0.1 s faster, he's 10x better.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's long past time to take a long hard look at the entire roster from top to bottom and make some tough decisions. I'm a Green fan, but he seems like another broken (both mentally and physically) player. This franchise and it's management team continues to cultivate an atmosphere of excuses and ineptitude.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Philadelphia? Toronto?
Gonchar is terrible, Green is much better and if he starts thinking 0.1 s faster, he's 10x better.

Is Gonchar even still playing?

I don't remember him being terrible in his time in Washington. He was no Norris candidate sure, but he was no door knob either. He brought offense, that was his thing. I kept defensive expectations in check.

I do remember he went bongo on someone, long before Semin proclaims to have invented it. Any old timers remember that one?

I am not sure Green can think any faster. I would say he needs to stop thinking, but I am not sure that's possible at this point.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Is Gonchar even still playing?

I don't remember him being terrible in his time in Washington. He was no Norris candidate sure, but he was no door knob either. He brought offense, that was his thing. I kept defensive expectations in check.

I do remember he went bongo on someone, long before Semin proclaims to have invented it. Any old timers remember that one?

I am not sure Green can think any faster. I would say he needs to stop thinking, but I am not sure that's possible at this point.

Gonchar is doing great in Ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad