Line Combos: Is it time to break up the Bergeron line?

Is it time to break up the Bergeron line at 5 on 5?

• Total voters

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
A3B156A9-0305-466D-9B92-DC2D42F11B71.gif

Reactions: Bradely

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Would have been much better going out and bringing in a legit 2nd line playmaking center so a healthy Coyle could dominate on the 3rd line. Instead Sweeney went out and spent $8.5m on three bottom six LW/C who have combined for three goals nearly 1/3 of the way through the season.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Would have been much better going out and bringing in a legit 2nd line playmaking center so a healthy Coyle could dominate on the 3rd line. Instead Sweeney went out and spent $8.5m on three bottom six LW/C who have combined for three goals nearly 1/3 of the way through the season.
Agree, but what do we do about it now?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
it's absolutely time. They're not getting as much out of Hall & Pastrnak as they could be, but they have looked good together. Coyle (or Studnicka) could absolutely work between those 2.

Meanwhile I don't know when or why this organization decided that Marchand & Bergeron absolutely must have a high skill, finesse, elite RW, but they won a Cup with Recchi as their RW playing much more of a gritty game at the time. Obviously recreating the magic of 2 guys in the 20s is not gonna happen at this stage but I see no reason why they couldn't have Smith or Foligno play the Recchi role on that line. Those guys need to get back to basics a bit anyway.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Yes, for so many reasons....

1) Pasta hasn't been playing great on the first line. It seems like he's relying on Marchand to do a lot of the play driving, but when he played with Hall he went back to trying to create his own shots and scoring chances for his line.

2) Hall needs a high-end talent to ride shotgun with him. A focused Pasta elevates the 2nd line to elite. The Hall-Pasta pair probably had a half dozen 2on1's in those 3 games they played together, and they each had a couple breakaways too.

3) Marchand and Bergeron can produce with with anyone, they even score shorthanded. Mix and match RW's on this line for now, use that spot to get guys going or try out some rookies, then focus on getting a power forward at the deadline.

4) A power forward on the top line makes us a better playoff team. It gives us the size to play against big defenses. It helps us get inside and get more shots/tips/screens from the front of the net, which is something we're lacking.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
I voted yes.

I'm not necessarily looking for a permanent change either. But at the very least they need to try it when things aren't working for the team offensively 5 on 5. These guys already play on the powerplay together and there's no reason you couldn't reunite them late in a game when down by a goal.

I just don't understand how they can perpetually shuffle the bottom 9 while the top line remains untouched. Spreading the offensive wealth seems like a no brainer but what do I know.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)

1) Pasta hasn't been playing great on the first line. It seems like he's relying on Marchand to do a lot of the play driving, but when he played with Hall he went back to trying to create his own shots and scoring chances for his line.

2) Hall needs a high-end talent to ride shotgun with him. A focused Pasta elevates the 2nd line to elite. The Hall-Pasta pair probably had a half dozen 2on1's in those 3 games they played together, and they each had a couple breakaways too.

3) Marchand and Bergeron can produce with with anyone, they even score shorthanded. Mix and match RW's on this line for now, use that spot to get guys going or try out some rookies, then focus on getting a power forward at the deadline.

4) A power forward on the top line makes us a better playoff team. It gives us the size to play against big defenses. It helps us get inside and get more shots/tips/screens from the front of the net, which is something we're lacking.
Yes, yes, yes, yes and "power forward'?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
They’re short a piece in the top 6 regardless.

Same shit, different year.

You can shuffle the deck til the cows come home. It’s not as if someone will suddenly turn into a top 6 talent just because you slot Hall, Pastrnak, or whomever with them.

Remember PJ Axelsson on the first line?

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005

If we can all see this as a possible resolution, why the hell cant coaches and management?

Reactions: PlayMakers

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I said no, but my reasoning is until any other line shows some signs of consistent offensive production, you might as well not break up your one reliable thing.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Reason they don't want to change it is obviously because they've relied on it for so long to hide other warts. That line is the most reliable thing the coach has had since he has been here. It's like on Kitchen Nightmares when the chef of a failing restaurant argues with Gordon incessantly about Gordon's suggestion to change the menu because the owner is afraid of losing any customers he currently has. Of course the fact the restaurant is failing is overlooked, and there is too much fear in trying something new even if there is a chance the new menu will bring in more customers than before.

I get why Butch is hesitant to break up the Bergy line. I've supported him on that in the past since the Bs secondary scoring has been pretty much crap, and the Bergy line has been amazing. This season, however, I think it may be a good idea to split things up. Pasta is actually dragging down the top line with all his turnovers and careless play. Doesn't give Bergy and Marchy as much Ozone time since Pasta gives the puck away so doggone much. Bergy and Marchy are a force, so just put someone on RW who is not a turnover machine and can pass reasonably well. They still may do really well in terms of scoring. Maybe Pasta with Hall will wake both of them up and they will click. Still would be nice to have a legit playmaking center on that line, though. Also, Hall and Pasta both make a lot of careless passes. Could be a disastrous line when they are both off their game. Who knows. Worth a try to see if they develop chemistry and excel. Would be cool as hell if it worked and both those guys got going. Wouldn't bet too much money on it, but heck at this point try something.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I voted yes but down deep I think its just rearranging the deck chairs.

I'm a big believer in chemistry. That the right combination of players can be greater than the sum of their parts. I see it with the teams I coach. You can see it last year with Hall and Krejci. Both players were better players together than they were separate.

I think Marchand and Bergeron will be Marchand and Bergeron whether or not Pasta plays with them. I also think Hall will be a lot better with Pasta and Pasta had no shortage of chances during that 3 game span with Hall. To me, the combo just gets more out the personnel we have.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Pretty pathetic isn’t it.

Reactions: UncleRico

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
With Marchand and Smith out.. won’t happen but this is what I’d go with next game

Hall-Bergeron-Steen
Debrusk-Coyle-Pasta
Haula-Nosek-Senyshyn
Blidh-Freddy-Foligno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad