Is it time for a coaching change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I’m not sure another coach could extract better results from the roster as it currently is.

That’s my feeling as well. While I have a handful of problems with Hak, it feels pretty clear that he’s far from losing the room. There are injury issues on this team, and have been much of the season, and frankly, on paper, it’s a super average team and are performing at level or close to it.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I don’t have any issue with the job Hak did this season. He seems to have handled what could have been a volatile Gru/Daccord situation relatively deftly when Gru returned from injury. No glaring Sprong playing time complaints (that we’re aware of?) like last season. I continue to slowly lose patience with GMRF, however.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't know enough about the local ownership scene, but it seems to me from what little I do that RF has restricted options, especially if the ultimate goal is to bring an NBA team to Seattle not win a Stanley Cup (if this opinion is totally off-base, my apologies). So I am not really mad at him as I might be.

I get frustrated with Hakstol sometimes, but basically he played the hand he was dealt but this year's iteration of players was clearly inferior to last year's line up. As well, statistical anomalies that favoured us last year--five on five play, for one-- have predictably gone the other way this year. So, too soon for Hakstol to be the fall guy. But he is using up his grace points from last year.

It's not a sexy option, but I would counsel staying the course, and hoping that RF pulls enough rabbits out of hats to at least continue to fill out our talented if not yet elite prospect pool. In fact the best reason for keeping RF is for his drafting expertise. If we are at the same place next year that we are this year competitively, then, yes, change will be a reasonable option to consider

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
What do you want Hakstol to do? This roster isn't good. Seattle isn't going about this the same way as second recent expansion team Vegas is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: majormajor

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I think he'll have another season and if it looks like they aren't going to make the play offs they may use him as the sacrifice. I do sometimes wish they were a little bolder, take more risks with roster building at times but we can't all be Vegas.

That was never in play as soon as the team announced Ron Francis as GM.
He's very "conservative" and ultimatly lost his job in Carolina because people got frustrated with his lack of willingness to go for it.

BTW:
Hakstol won't go and start next season as the coach but won't have a shorter leash and wouldn't survive a big losing streak or bad start overall.

Though, I don't think Francis is willing to pull that card right now(the season is lost anyways and free agency/trade market don't look all that great currently) given that firing a coach gets a GM closer to being on the hot seat.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I don't know enough about the local ownership scene, but it seems to me from what little I do that RF has restricted options, especially if the ultimate goal is to bring an NBA team to Seattle not win a Stanley Cup (if this opinion is totally off-base, my apologies). So I am not really mad at him as I might be.

I get frustrated with Hakstol sometimes, but basically he played the hand he was dealt but this year's iteration of players was clearly inferior to last year's line up. As well, statistical anomalies that favoured us last year--five on five play, for one-- have predictably gone the other way this year. So, too soon for Hakstol to be the fall guy. But he is using up his grace points from last year.

It's not a sexy option, but I would counsel staying the course, and hoping that RF pulls enough rabbits out of hats to at least continue to fill out our talented if not yet elite prospect pool. In fact the best reason for keeping RF is for his drafting expertise. If we are at the same place next year that we are this year competitively, then, yes, change will be a reasonable option to consider
I do trust Leiweke though. He may be distracted with NBA stuff but he has a good recorded of putting solid foundations in place. He's credited with turning around the Seahawks from being a joke team in the 90's to being a decent/at times contending team and encouraged Paul Allen to fire Jim Mora Jr when it didn't look like things were right. So we probably should trust the process but I do think last years play offs sapped some of the patience as we got to experience a taste of what things can be like.

That was never in play as soon as the team announced Ron Francis as GM.
He's very "conservative" and ultimatly lost his job in Carolina because people got frustrated with his lack of willingness to go for it.

BTW:
Hakstol won't go and start next season as the coach but won't have a shorter leash and wouldn't survive a big losing streak or bad start overall.

Though, I don't think Francis is willing to pull that card right now(the season is lost anyways and free agency/trade market don't look all that great currently) given that firing a coach gets a GM closer to being on the hot seat.
I was shocked at how frequently NHL coaches get fired. Hakstol at this point is pretty long tenured compared to most. Are coaches always sacrificial lambs?

I think one of my fears is that if we are going the draft route and developing talent, is Hakstol the guy to do it. Especially if he does get off to a bad start next year? He played Beniers but he was basically NHL ready, Kartye was a surprise but did well. Will he give Evans, Wright etc a shot next year if he's on the hot seat? I would have gave Evans more of a shot this year at least.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
I was shocked at how frequently NHL coaches get fired. Hakstol at this point is pretty long tenured compared to most. Are coaches always sacrificial lambs?

Hakstol is the longest tenured head coach in the Pacific Divison.
So yeah, they get fired very quickly.

Though, Francis is pretty "cautious" and probably will act that way on the coaching front as well.

Also, the team just extended Hakstol(last summer) for three years and that extension will kick in this offseason.

I think one of my fears is that if we are going the draft route and developing talent, is Hakstol the guy to do it. Especially if he does get off to a bad start next year? He played Beniers but he was basically NHL ready, Kartye was a surprise but did well. Will he give Evans, Wright etc a shot next year if he's on the hot seat?

Hakstol was a college coach and developing talent should, in theory, be his strength.

Him not playing Evans too much has more to do with the expectations after last season and the fact that Francis signed a vet like Doumoulin to replace Soucy.

An NHL coach will always play the veteran over the kid unless the GM tells him that this is the plan and Francis clearly didn't do that with his moves and openly saying that the playoffs are the goal.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You folks know I have been asking for a Hakstol replacement for a while. But with all the injuries we had to deal with, given the lack of skill on the team, I am surprised we are even in a "race" for the playoffs. The goaltending (Daccord) has helped a lot with us being in the "race" but Hakstol gets a pass for this season.

The concern I have is more for next season. How do we get better? While we don't lose anyone significant to FA, the market sucks and I don't think we can add anyone who helps more. Ryker Evans will replace Schultz. Wright will replace Wennberg. I think Schultz to Evans is a wash. Maybe even a small upgrade. But I will be very surprised if Wright is able to replace Wennberg's production next season.

If Francis does not give Hakstol the tools to improve the team, I don't think we can blame Hakstol.

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
You folks know I have been asking for a Hakstol replacement for a while. But with all the injuries we had to deal with, given the lack of skill on the team, I am surprised we are even in a "race" for the playoffs. The goaltending (Daccord) has helped a lot with us being in the "race" but Hakstol gets a pass for this season.

The concern I have is more for next season. How do we get better? While we don't lose anyone significant to FA, the market sucks and I don't think we can add anyone who helps more. Ryker Evans will replace Schultz. Wright will replace Wennberg. I think Schultz to Evans is a wash. Maybe even a small upgrade. But I will be very surprised if Wright is able to replace Wennberg's production next season.

If Francis does not give Hakstol the tools to improve the team, I don't think we can blame Hakstol.
sounds like Kraken will be a fourth year expansion team next year. so what? they're focused on obtaining and developing prospects with a longterm outlook. those who want immediate success like vegas will continue to be disappointed -- and it's not Hakstol's fault.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
sounds like Kraken will be a fourth year expansion team next year. so what? they're focused on obtaining and developing prospects with a longterm outlook. those who want immediate success like vegas will continue to be disappointed -- and it's not Hakstol's fault.
Nobody is expecting a Vegas management style or success similar to them. But folks are still allowed to disagree with how Francis manages the team. A 4th year expansion team is not what I am concerned about. It's more about the level of our prospects. Outside of Beniers, I cannot say with confidence that we have any blue-chip prospects. Potentially Wright, but unless he makes improvements by leaps and bounds, he will be a tier or 2 below Beniers. Evans is good for a top-4 D, but I am not sure he gets better than that. Firkus, Goyette, Nyman, Rehkopf, Nelson, etc., have done well in juniors or overseas, but there is no guarantee that their skills will translate to the NHL.

My concern is less about this being a fourth-year team and more about not having (m)any blue-chip prospects. Also, if you really want to draft an develop, use your pending FA's wisely. Players like Tanev, Oleksiak, Gourde, should all be on the table.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Hakstol is the longest tenured head coach in the Pacific Divison.
So yeah, they get fired very quickly.

Though, Francis is pretty "cautious" and probably will act that way on the coaching front as well.

Also, the team just extended Hakstol(last summer) for three years and that extension will kick in this offseason.

Hakstol was a college coach and developing talent should, in theory, be his strength.

Him not playing Evans too much has more to do with the expectations after last season and the fact that Francis signed a vet like Doumoulin to replace Soucy.

An NHL coach will always play the veteran over the kid unless the GM tells him that this is the plan and Francis clearly didn't do that with his moves and openly saying that the playoffs are the goal.
What was Hakstols track record for developing players at the Flyers? Any names or stars?

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Hakstol wasn't particularly fond of playing the kids in Philly, can tell you that. What really drew the ire of the fanbase was his penchant for shelling up on a slight lead, only to lose it (and the game) anyway. That does sound familiar.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
When all four lines are playing well at the same time(and nobody’s injured) the Kraken can beat anybody, or go on a 9 game win streak.
The problem is you seldom see ANY team with four lines going throughout an entire season.
When one line falters the opponents feast on matchups.
I am really curious what Ron Francis does this summer. A healthy Burakovsky simply can’t be the only veteran upgrade.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Yeah, this last TDL sure looked and felt like "obtaining and developing prospects with a longterm outlook" what with hanging on to Schultz, Driedger and Eberle. :rolleyes:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
So far Hakstol's record with getting the most out of the younger players has been pretty abysmal. The testimonials of the younger guys once they left the organization about not knowing what they were supposed to be doing or where they were suppose to be on the ice is worrisome.

The player interviews from North Dakota about Berry replacing Hakstol is also eye opening - a lot of guys saying that the communication change once Hakstol left was so much better and the players better knew what was expected of them under Berry.

Personally I am glad Francis is keeping the vets around for now, as I would much rather have the young prospects learning elsewhere, as I do not think a Hakstol coached NHL team is a very good development environment for rookies.

Now, whether or not he should be fired I guess depends on what the plan is for next season. If they are going to grab more vets and try to make another playoff run with this aging core and keep the first wave of prospects down for more marinating, then you could probably do worse than Hakstol behind the bench. But if the development rebuild starts this offseason, then I definitely want to see the org move on from Hakstol and get a better communicator for a coach that has a good track record with developing talent.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
8 losses in a row. Wonder if the veterans have just shut it down mentally for the season. I get there is injuries too. If this bad run continues to the end of the season I do think hakstol is in the hot seat or at least start next season there too. If they put in efforts like that montreal game for several games does he even see the season out? At least in year 1 they played a little better near the end when they brought in beniers. I'm worried the messaging from the coach isn't working anymore.

If we aren't making the play offs though we might as well stink for drafting position

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevinsane

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Yeah, Hakstol could be gone after the season.

It seems like he really went after the players during the post game interview.
That's basically the final attempt for a coach to try and get players to do their job.

Last edited:

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
Interesting, I’ll have to dig that interview up. I guess I just assumed the org was universally mailing it in after the wet fart of a TDL.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
For Francis to fire Hakstol he has to be okay with being on the hot seat as the next to go. I don’t see that happening unless the Kraken get off to a bad start next season or don’t go at least .400 to finish out the year.
Public outcry could change all that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad