Speculation: Is it the end for Howard?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's tough to be consistent when you have no ****in clue what line you're going to be playing on shift to shift. We have an incompetent coach ... blaa blaa blaa

Mantha was locked on the 1st line and then his productions stopped. Blashill changed lines after this happened. not before.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Next off-season UFAs:

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

- Holtby, 30-year old
- Crawford, 35-year old
- Lehner, 28-year old
- Anderson, 39-year old
- Howard, 36-year old
- Markström, 30-year old
- Brossoit, 27-year old

Brossoit would be interesting take. Always seen something good in him. Still young. Also would onsider heavily Lehner. He has really turned his career round after getting over his mental problems.

I'd give Lehner a run first, and then consider Markstrom... after that, maybe Holtby.

I don't think Brossoit is a legit starter at this point, and definite no to Crawford, Anderson, and Howard.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Mantha was locked on the 1st line and then his productions stopped. Blashill changed lines after this happened. not before.
He started the blender on game 4 or 5, IIRC, trying to get the vets going. Mantha's attitude seemed to take a hit, shortly thereafter, and his production went down. Don't blame him.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
It's tough to be consistent when you have no ****in clue what line you're going to be playing on shift to shift. We have an incompetent coach who decided to re-invent the wheel after one loss and break up literally the only line that can produce offense and the wheels completely fell off the wagon. I understand that line is back together but ****, Blashill is so ****ing impulsive with his line swaps, it's incredible. I remember when Mickey used to joke about the bingo balls with Babs, it's 1000000x worse with Blashill.

Mickey probably made jokes about Scotty Bowman too. Even the great Scotty Bowman mixed it up. Hell, he even had Fedorov play defense.

Sounds like you have no clue about team management or coaching just bitching to bitch.

Reactions: 14ari13

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'd give Lehner a run first, and then consider Markstrom... after that, maybe Holtby.

I don't think Brossoit is a legit starter at this point, and definite no to Crawford, Anderson, and Howard.

I'd be surprised if Chicago doesn't re-sign Lehner. He's played well there, Crawford's contract is over after this season, and I think Lehner is ready to settle in a place that is ready to invest in him. A three or four year deal to Markstrom wouldn't be surprising at that point. Even if we pay him $5m a year, that's fine a few years from now if/when we're moving a kid into that other goalie spot to split time with him. We'd just have this one season with bernier where it'll look bad blowing $8m+ on the position.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I'd be surprised if Chicago doesn't re-sign Lehner. He's played well there, Crawford's contract is over after this season, and I think Lehner is ready to settle in a place that is ready to invest in him. A three or four year deal to Markstrom wouldn't be surprising at that point. Even if we pay him $5m a year, that's fine a few years from now if/when we're moving a kid into that other goalie spot to split time with him. We'd just have this one season with bernier where it'll look bad blowing $8m+ on the position.

You're probably right regarding Lehner, I'm just hoping Chicago gets scared for whatever reason and lets him walk.

$8m in goalies isn't terrible, honestly, as long as at least one of them is playing decently... and let's face it, it could be much, MUCH worse.

Reactions: Winger98

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
For Red Wings fans sake, yes I hope Howard is waived or demoted soon because he is f***ing garbage.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Mickey probably made jokes about Scotty Bowman too. Even the great Scotty Bowman mixed it up. Hell, he even had Fedorov play defense.

Sounds like you have no clue about team management or coaching just *****ing to *****.

Found Blashill’s account, boys!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Should have been gone 5 years ago. Never been a Howard guy. Hopefully he is gone after this season or even better TDL for ANYTHING
He's not worth a bag of pucks at this point. He'll easily clear waivers, especially considering his cap hit.

If he chits the bed in the next game, the team needs to send him down and bring Pickard up. The only way this team gets better is if they keep replacing bad players. It's a pro sports team, not a country club. If you can't perform, you're out.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He's not worth a bag of pucks at this point. He'll easily clear waivers, especially considering his cap hit.

If he chits the bed in the next game, the team needs to send him down and bring Pickard up. The only way this team gets better is if they keep replacing bad players. It's a pro sports team, not a country club. If you can't perform, you're out.
Totally agree with everything you said!

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Next off-season UFAs:

- Holtby, 30-year old
- Crawford, 35-year old
- Lehner, 28-year old
- Anderson, 39-year old
- Howard, 36-year old
- Markström, 30-year old
- Brossoit, 27-year old

Brossoit would be interesting take. Always seen something good in him. Still young. Also would onsider heavily Lehner. He has really turned his career round after getting over his mental problems.

I feel like Lehner would be worth a shot, Markstrom too but the trouble is by the time a wings core hits any of these goalies will be entering their career downside. I know great goalies are still out there in their mid 30's but none of these guys that are still in a decent age range aside from Holtby have done anything I would consider great. Crawford and Anderson are totally out for me, no point in bringing in a 1 -2 season solution, just keep howard or Bernier or bring someone in from the farm system at that point.

I hope Yzerman can pull a rabbit out of the hat and bring in someone like he did with Bishop. If the core does not get stacked loaded up with some top 5 talent we will need we need a goalie that will hit their prime and be better than any goalie we have had in the past.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
I've been saying on reddit that Bernier's outplayed Howard since the beginning of 2019. Can anybody look up the stats because I know it's true. If Bernier can show some more consistency, then he will cement himself as our starting goalie the rest of the season. Howard can pack his bags and leave town for all I care, never liked the guy as a goalie. No mental fortitude and always cracked in the playoffs or gave up the game tying goal in the last few minutes. Always.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
If the Red Wings are serious about a UFA goalie and they should be next year Lehner and Markstrom would be my choices. However we really shouldn't break the bank for either one of these guys. Crawford and Andersen are both too old. Holtby I would expect will ask big money and will be 31 next year. Larsson is a few years away to be our starter and will be our backup going forward.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
From a poster on WIIM (comments section):

"The defense has been bad in front of him (meaning team defense, although our defensemen have not played well as a group), but Howard has been awful this season, even taking that into account. The easiest stat I’ve found to take a quick look at that is Goals Saved Above Average. It looks at how many goals a goalie has prevented above what you would expect an average goalie to save based on the quality of the shots.

Howard is currently 5th worst in the league with -6.55 GSAA using Evolving Wild’s xG model.

Another quick way to look is to look at something called Delta Fenwick Save Percentage (dFSv%). I know that name might sound confusing to some, but it’s the difference (delta) between a goalies actual save percentage and expected save percentage. The Fenwick part means that it includes all unblocked shot attempts, not just shots on goal.

Howard is 10th worst in that metric with a -2.04 difference between his expected FSv% and his actual Fenwick SV%"

Posted by PeterWiiM on Nov 9, 2019 | 10:37 AM

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Next off-season UFAs:

- Holtby, 30-year old
- Crawford, 35-year old
- Lehner, 28-year old
- Anderson, 39-year old
- Howard, 36-year old
- Markström, 30-year old
- Brossoit, 27-year old

Crawford, Howard, and Anderson are a no go age wise.

The others are going to want money and term. Better pick the right one. Holtby would be exposed by the defense in front of him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Crawford, Howard, and Anderson are a no go age wise.

The others are going to want money and term. Better pick the right one. Holtby would be exposed by the defense in front of him.

It's not just the age, but the mileage. I think I'd be willing to take a flier on Thomas Greiss, though. He's 34, but hasn't seen a ton of games. He's also been pretty darn consistent and it's clear he's pretty comfortable splitting time with someone.

Reactions: The Wizard of Oz

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's not just the age, but the mileage. I think I'd be willing to take a flier on Thomas Greiss, though. He's 34, but hasn't seen a ton of games. He's also been pretty darn consistent and it's clear he's pretty comfortable splitting time with someone.

Would be fun to sign both Lehner and Greiss, who were great for NYI last year.

Greiss would add another German...

Reactions: decaguard

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Am I the only one who does not have a problem with how Jimmy is playing?

Sure, put another goalie in net, but it won't necessarily make things better.

Are the goals against the fault of goaltending or errors upon the skaters in front of him?

Take for example the Rangers game.

Goal 1: On the PP de Angelo is left all alone and the rebound squeeks to him.
Goal 2: Kreider had the entire faceoff circle to himself. Defensive lapse and a forward with all time in world to pick his spot. But sure, that was a saveable shot, although, it was a HIGH percent scoring chance.
Goal 3: Rangers on the PP, shot is going 2-3 feet wide and high. Puck hits Ranger up high and deflects into the net. Not much Howard could do there.
Goal 4: Wings on PP, shot is deflected by Bertuzzi, hits Howard's stick and flies up. Howard does not know where the puck went. Bertuzzi had opportunity to pick up the loose puck and misses, Ranger picks it up and fires it low on Howard trying to get back into position after finding puck. Guess we can blame Howie there as well.

Irregardless, unlikely any other goalie woulda made saves on goals 1 and 3, Detroit still loses the game if we blame Jimmy for goals 2 and 4.

Keep in mind there is a big difference between looking at 'numbers' and watching the game. Same issue when Mrazek was here at the end. Not much he could do with Ericsson and DK constantly screening, tipping, and shooting pucks into their own net.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
How about the Nashville game:

Goal 1: Tip/deflection couple feet away from net. 0 chance for Howard after committing to the initial shot.
Goal 2: Snipe by Nashville forward through Bowey's legs and off the post go in.
Goal 3: Far side wrister that barely deflects off Larkin's stick. Without the tip, Howard probably has that.
Goal 4: Bowey deflects wide puck at his own net. Howard too slow to react.

Again, how many of those are Howard's fault?

You can decide for yourself, but in my eyes, maybe 1 at best.

Are we gonna keep throwing Jimmy under the bus or can we at least acknowledge that deflections/tips are kinda hard to stop.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Vs Carolina?

Goal 1: Slavin with a nice pass to Svechnikov who is open in the slot and buries it. Alright, Jimmy a little slow recognizing the pass, but it was so subtle and well done by Slavin. He sold it as a deke/shot and instead sent it to Svech in the open. Okay, maybe a better goalie wouldn't have been fooled by that.
Goal 2: Green takes down Foegle who interferes with Howard. Puck goes in cause Howard can't find puck/get back into position. Who we blaming here, Howard or Green for sending the guy into him? Keep in mind Blashill challenged this play and lost. Maybe even blame the Zebras, but I know what colour I am blaming.
Goal 3: Carolina on the PP, Nino just banging at the puck in front, eventually goes 5 hole and squeeks through. Alright, I can see how Jimmy shoulda had that.
Goal 4: After turnover in neutral zone Carolina on the rush. Perlini sticks with puck carrier (he already beat 2 Wings on the blue line), Hicketts positions himself between puck carrier and net. Leaving Necas all alone. Note that Howard is squared up with the potential shooter. Howard does seem a little slow reacting to the pass. Maybe a younger more agile goalie gets that. Maybe.

LKcuAWd.png

Goal 5: Initial shot misses net, bounces to the side of the net. Howard slow sliding across to cover the post as the Carolina player puts the puck into empty side.

Not Jimmy's best game.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad