Is it possible to acquire one of the Sabres' goalies?

Westin

Jan 28, 2013
Johnson, Lehner and Ullmark might be a good replacement for Stalock.
But what will we have to give up? Stalock +?

Last edited by a moderator:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Lehner's basically their version of Jones so I doubt they'd do that but one of the other guys could be decent.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Because we dont got anyone thats nhl ready in our system.

I know that. I mean, why would Buffalo take Stalock on when they'd be making this trade because they have 3 goalies?

Johnson could likely be had for a mid/low prospect and a mid/low pick.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Lemme go a bit bigger...

Some SJ fans were ok with Wingels & Mueller for Ennis & 3rd.
How about Ennis & Johnson & Borgen(draft pick, made WJC and looked decent enough for USA this year) for Wingels & Mueller & Stalock? Does that kill your cap?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Lemme go a bit bigger...

Some SJ fans were ok with Wingels & Mueller for Ennis & 3rd.
How about Ennis & Johnson & Borgen(draft pick, made WJC and looked decent enough for USA this year) for Wingels & Mueller & Stalock? Does that kill your cap?

That deal is too complcated if all we are interested in is a backup goalie. Personally I have no interest in Ennis.

Westin

Jan 28, 2013
I know that. I mean, why would Buffalo take Stalock on when they'd be making this trade because they have 3 goalies?

Johnson could likely be had for a mid/low prospect and a mid/low pick.

If Johnson is on the last year on his contract we might get him pretty cheap. It would be an upgrade to Stalock.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I find it sad that Buffalo has been one of the worst teams iced in the last I don't know how many years, at least they were last season. Yet all of the goaltenders that have played for them in that time period have been significantly better than Stalock at the very minimum. Even Lindback's short stint there.

If that doesn't confirm that Stalock is a bad NHL goaltender and not the product of some bad defense/system, then I don't know what will.

Johnson is in the last year of his deal, if I'm correct. But he's the kind of goaltender that seems to fluctuate in terms of his play. A mid round pick might not be a bad gamble to take on him. It's worth a try, just to rest Jones down the stretch.

And just hope that Johnson performs as well here as he has in Buffalo. Not because this team is worse than Buffalo and will make him look bad, not by a long shot. Just because of the fluctuations in play from year to year with a guy like Johnson.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Johnson, Lehner and Ullmark might be a good replacement for Stalock.
But what will we have to give up? Stalock +?

I only see Stalock able to be traded in mid-season when a team has an urgent need due to injury.

At this point, Stalock will likely be a 2nd backup goalie, meaning mostly AHL duty, and probably around of the $1M/yr mark. His gaffs are certainly not helping his cause. I should do some comps on backup goalies.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I highly doubt that the Sabres trade Lehner, as I believe they gave up a first and a little more to get him. But if Chad Johnson's contract is indeed up after this season like a few of you guys were saying, then he might not be a bad option to go after. Stalock has negative trade value, as he's pretty expensive for a backup goalie (and he isn't playing well, either).

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
I only see Stalock able to be traded in mid-season when a team has an urgent need due to injury.

At this point, Stalock will likely be a 2nd backup goalie, meaning mostly AHL duty, and probably around of the $1M/yr mark. His gaffs are certainly not helping his cause. I should do some comps on backup goalies.

Good points. This highlighted above is also exactly where he should be for us. But I am with most on this discussion as any Buffalo goalie will be a definite plus over Stalock.

Just to add; I was listening to some hockey talk on tsn radio very early this a.m. while on the road and, one of the hosts mentioned very quickly on talking of the Leafs and guys they may try to move for picks, that Reimer might be able to be had for a 3rd round pick. Reimer would be an excellent pick up.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
First rule of trades: If you don't want a certain player because he's not good enough, odds are no one else wants him either for that exact same reason.

Stalock actually has less than zero value because you'll need to include something else just to get a team to take him.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
First rule of trades: If you don't want a certain player because he's not good enough, odds are no one else wants him either for that exact same reason.

Stalock actually has less than zero value because you'll need to include something else just to get a team to take him.

Which is really sad. What happened to him this season? I mean he just completely collapsed. I said to my wife after his last game "Welp, that game likely ended his career"... I really like Stalock a lot, but jeez.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
I think Reto Berra from colorado would be a good target. As it stands now he is the 3rd goalie there with still one more year left on his contract. Stalock is on his last year so I could see a Stalock + something small being acceptable to Colorado as it saves them a year of Berras contract, meanwhile SJ get a slightly cheaper backup who, personally, I would have plenty of confidence in.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Berra is like the opposite of Stalock. Was terrible in his rookie year of 13-14, then has been an above average backup in the last two seasons.

Stalock was incredible in his rookie years of 13-14, has been a below average backup at best in the last two seasons.

Which is really sad. What happened to him this season? I mean he just completely collapsed. I said to my wife after his last game "Welp, that game likely ended his career"... I really like Stalock a lot, but jeez.

Nothing happened to him this season, it started last season. He's been exactly a 90% goaltender since the start of the 14-15 season. Though my memory seems to think that he started off last season fine, then his play dramatically declined after New Years 2015.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I think Reto Berra from colorado would be a good target. As it stands now he is the 3rd goalie there with still one more year left on his contract. Stalock is on his last year so I could see a Stalock + something small being acceptable to Colorado as it saves them a year of Berras contract, meanwhile SJ get a slightly cheaper backup who, personally, I would have plenty of confidence in.

There is no logical reason why Colorado makes that deal. Essentially you've suggested Colorado downgrade for "something small", and while the Avs have a lot of goalies they'd then not have a legitimate #2 any more.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
There is no logical reason why Colorado makes that deal. Essentially you've suggested Colorado downgrade for "something small", and while the Avs have a lot of goalies they'd then not have a legitimate #2 any more.
There are actually some Avs fans who said yes to trading Berra.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Are there any FA goalies that are looking for gig?

Ray Emery.:laugh:

I'd steer clear of him though, he would NOT be an upgrade to Stalock at all. Emery was the worst goaltender in the league between 2007 and 2015. There was always a guy or two that had worse seasons than him, but he had the lowest save percentage those seasons out of anyone in that combined time frame. Anyone who was worse, did not stay employed in the league nearly as long as him. Even including his fluke lockout season, his save percentage between 07 and 15 was about what Stalock's has been the last 2 years. And now he's well into his 30s and has hip problems. I wouldn't touch him.

Buffalo might be willing to unload Johnson soon, but Johnson is the kind of goaltender whose performance fluctuates from year to year. And stay away from the garbage like Lindback. He's been terrible everywhere he's went the last 4 years, outside of a 16 game stretch last year in Buffalo. The Sharks and Coyotes are the only teams in playoff positions currently that have amazingly awful backups. So barring a playoff team having their starter get injured and needing Johnson for insurance, I think there's a good chance Doug can land Johnson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad