Is it just me or this a very exciting postseason?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I honestly don't believe playoffs in general can be bad with how good and skilled all teams are. The parity makes everything wonderful and worth watching. As a neutral, I've done my best to follow almost every single series and I have no complaints at all. Sure, some games or series in general will be less intriguing but that's fine. Not every game can be great. Personally speaking, I had more fun in recent years, probably because they involved some teams I like more but again, this also is very good. When it comes to playoffs I don't believe there is bad.

It will get much better for me if STL, SJS, DAL and TOR go through.

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
Yes, it has been great. Maybe you wish for a little closer series in NYI-PIT or CGY-COL, but the TBY-CBJ was a dominant sweep that was pretty compelling because of the 62 wins and hands-down best team of the season getting bounced like that. But 2 amazing teams got swept in the first round, crazy.

Can the Jets come back from 3-2? Can the Bruins come back from 3-2 and extend their playoff dominance over the Leafs, or will the young team finally break through against their personal nemesis team? Can Nashville win and set up another possible Jets-Preds series like last years battle of the titans? Can Vegas go deep again (with substantial help from questionable calls from Bettman and their other fanboys/groupies LOL :sarcasm:)? Will the Caps get bounced 4-2 after a 2-0 lead (opposite of last year's round 1)? Can the Islanders win the Cup in the ultimate F you to Tavares (possibly even against Toronto in the ECF if things break right)?

There are many compelling stories and we've seen lots of really good hockey. With Kadri pulling his usual garbage, there has been some bad blood, and more may show up now that elimination games are coming for several more series.

Great postseason so far, IMO.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
The upsets have been interesting, but a blowout tends to not be exciting. The other series have been pretty entertaining, though.

Hopefully these early blowouts mean we'll get more closely-contested series.

Last edited:

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
This is ****ing boring.

I'm beginning to dislike the NHL playoffs for the same reason everyone dislikes the shootout. It's a random crapshoot.
Hard to claim its random when the series are won in such decisive fashion.

That's like complaining that any given game isn't decided before the puck is dropped.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hard to claim its random when the series are won in such decisive fashion.

That's like complaining that any given game isn't decided before the puck is dropped.

There's some truth to that, but it goes back to my other point: when the two best teams in the league are out here looking like ECHL teams, it's not a good thing.

I'm not saying I want the same teams to win year after year, but for a league to function, you need to have great teams, and teams that just participate. The NHL simply doesn't have that. It's a vanilla league.

People come in droves to watch great teams. They always have and they always will. When great teams play great teams, that's when moments are made. When lesser teams beat great teams, that's also memorable.

That's not what's happening here. What we have here is lesser teams exposing top seeds as flaccid garbage. There's nothing even approaching great in this NHL. There's 31 meh teams.

A team that tied the wins record just proved themselves to be completely soulless. If you're entertained by that, that's your prerogative, but to me it puts up in bold letters how trash the NHL is.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
No idea what to expect now. I like it personally. To @Machinehead's point I actually find it more fun not having a secure expectation in any one team. I thought Tampa was going all the way, now I have no f***ing clue. Personally, I think it's great.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
There's some truth to that, but it goes back to my other point: when the two best teams in the league are out here looking like ECHL teams, it's not a good thing.

I'm not saying I want the same teams to win year after year, but for a league to function, you need to have great teams, and teams that just participate. The NHL simply doesn't have that. It's a vanilla league.

People come in droves to watch great teams. They always have and they always will. When great teams play great teams, that's when moments are made. When lesser teams beat great teams, that's also memorable.

That's not what's happening here. What we have here is lesser teams exposing top seeds as flaccid garbage. There's nothing even approaching great in this NHL. There's 31 meh teams.

A team that tied the wins record just proved themselves to be completely soulless. If you're entertained by that, that's your prerogative, but to me it puts up in bold letters how trash the NHL is.
The difference being that there's enough talent and teams in the league that any of the playoff teams can be a great team. Especially if they're playing well enough to beat a 1st seed

Calling the Flames and Lightning as "garbage" is a way too big over reaction. They got outplayed and failed to adjust to how the other team approached playing.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No idea what to expect now. I like it personally. To @Machinehead's point I actually find it more fun not having a secure expectation in any one team. I thought Tampa was going all the way, now I have no ****ing clue. Personally, I think it's great.
But when you have no expectations at all, storylines fall apart.

I guess some folks still have some element of surprise, and that's why they enjoy it. That's fine. Enjoyment from any form of entertainment is subjective. For me personally, I lost that long ago with the NHL.

Not once when Columbus was destroying Tampa did I think "this is amazing." I thought "welp, here's the NHL doing NHL things again."

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The difference being that there's enough talent and teams in the league that any of the playoff teams can be a great team. Especially if they're playing well enough to beat a 1st seed

Calling the Flames and Lightning as "garbage" is a way too big over reaction. They got outplayed and failed to adjust to how the other team approached playing.
Yes.

This a problem.

When any team can be great, nobody is great.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The upsets have been interesting, but a blowout tends to not be exciting. The other series have been pretty entertaining, though.

Hopefully these early blowouts mean we'll get more closely-contested series.

Plenty of close series as well. Leafs - Boston will go all the way, same with Jets vs Blues. Then we have few "blowout" series like Columbus - Tampa and Colorado - Flames, but these were the most surprising. I don't see them as not entertaining when the big underdog beats the unbeatable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad