Is it finally time to admit we have an offense this year?

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
We're at the 10% mark of the season and while there is a little bit of streakiness (should be expected given how young the team is), we're scoring at a 3.3 gpg clip which is good enough for 6th overall. :amazed:

While I admit I'm also a bit worried given that the >25% shot percentages of Jagr, Tro and Smith can't be sustainable over the season, it's also encouraging that at least using the "eye test" it appears every line is a threat to light the lamp.

The balance of this team is also quickly becoming very evident given the average icetime of all 6 D ranges from Petro's 18:25 to Mitchell's 20:38 and taking Brick and Thornton out of the equation, the forwards range from Howden's 10:57 to Huby's 18:10.

Bottom line is this has been a very good start to the season and I can't help but think this is only going to get better (I know, optimism on this board??? :amazed: ;) :nod: )

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Pp at home is 50%, unsustainable.

As long as the team has a special teams index of 100 or above, I'm happy.

Hubey not scoring goals is kinda ok as i didnt expect him to be a goal scorer.

pirri not potting goals is an issue

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site

Agree on all points, but if Huby and Pirri start to find their touch as Jagr, Tro and Smith cool off, that balance of all four lines I mentioned saves us.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I still feel the team is performing at 50% of what they were doing last March. Its promising that we are getting results and not really playing close to our capability as a team. Thats my .02

panthersfan94

#CatsAreComing
Jan 23, 2014
Nashville, TN
I still feel the team is performing at 50% of what they were doing last March. Its promising that we are getting results and not really playing close to our capability as a team. Thats my .02

Might be a little low, but yeah I definitely feel that they aren't really close to where they were late last year

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
Might be a little low, but yeah I definitely feel that they aren't really close to where they were late last year

Early last season a game like tbe Av's game would have been a 3-2 loss. We would have walked out of the arena shaking our heads wondering how they lost to such a poor team and blaming it on injuries.

To me, that's one of the big differences between this year and last.

Give everyone time to gel and the future, meaning the rest of the season and yes even the playoffs, looks bright.

Just one man's opinion! :handclap:

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA

Totally agree. Definitely not clicking on all cylinders yet. And with that said, we've still kept our losses close despite how flat we've looked in some of them.

-ghoste

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

Said in 6 in 5 thread this team is getting those insurance goals. Look at opening night, Carolina, Dallas and last night. It isn't get ahead by a goal or two and coast for the win, team is getting those extra goals to put games away. Huge change.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Pirri isn't alarming at all. Snipers go on scoring streaks, its what they do. Once Jagr and Smith dry up, Pirri will be lighting the lamp.

I am not concerned at all, with Pirri.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Well I like the way they are progressing. When they score, it's a structured play, not some random "the puck bounces around and lands on a

Panthers' stick in a good spot" play. They are executing plays. That shows improvement, which is the one thing I was looking for from this team

offensively. Not just scoring a little more, but how they scored. They look like they know what they are doing, which is what I couldn't say about

this team before, that's huge to me. It's still a long way to go, but they're improving in the right way IMO.

And defensively, as good as they were last season, they look even better this season.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Well, many have penciled in Bjugstad and Pirri for a sure fire 30. Then Huby and Barky for a sure fire 20 or more. Same with Jagr. Had high hopes for Smith. So far, we haven't seen a lot from Huby and Pirri but the others have impressed. Bjugstad somewhat.

Trocheck came outta nowhere and is making the most of an opportunity to play center. Awesome to see things like that especially from a 3rd rounder. So far we have shown depth. Not a high powered, scary offense. I'm not sure if I even call it a sustainable offense. We've seen guys step up and we've seen depth scoring, which is what you need to win games in the NHL. Great to see thus far. I agree the powerplay numbers are unsustainable and the goals per game is bound to level out, but as long as a different guy keeps stepping up each night. We should be okay. But, then again Panthers. So, you never really know for sure.

Last edited:

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
It's awesome to see as this in my opinion was our biggest flaw last season, but I'm a bit concerned on if it will last. Chemistry is a huge factor and the young players learning by development. I hope Gallant is taking notice on what is working. An extra goal per game is huge when it comes to this team as they led the league last season in one goal games.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
Wins (24 goals):
Buffalo is bad
Carolina is a dumpster fire
Avs are terrible
Not sold on Philly
Dallas is pretty good

Losses (6 goals):
Chicago, Philly, Pittsburgh, Dallas

I'd wait until we string some more wins up against quality teams before proclaiming that the offense is fixed.

The more important stat I think is the goals against each game: 1, 1, 1, 2, 4, 3, 3, 2, 1
If you only give up 2 goals a game you'll be in every one.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Wins (24 goals):
Buffalo is bad
Avs are terrible
Not sold on Philly
Dallas is pretty good

Losses (6 goals):

I'd wait until we string some more wins up against quality teams before proclaiming that the offense is fixed.

/thread

Like I've said, the Panthers beat up on bad teams while not doing anything against good competition. Wait until the end of November.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
/thread

Like I've said, the Panthers beat up on bad teams while not doing anything against good competition. Wait until the end of November.

I agree that it is way too early to start "planing the playoff parade" after 9 games.

On the other hand, last season, the Cats were really good against the better teams while often losing to the weaker ones.

Getting these points right now already against so called weaker competition should give us a better chance until March but especially confidence wise - we did not have that last year at this point of the season.

I still believe though that the whole team's defensive work and the goalies deserve even more praise than the offense. That's what will keep us in most of the games while the offense has not proven to me that it will be constantly dangerous.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
we are much improved. The kids are one year older... exp... we are better. We just need to learn this year how to score on a good team...

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Wins (24 goals):
Buffalo is bad
Avs are terrible
Not sold on Philly
Dallas is pretty good

Losses (6 goals):

The more important stat I think is the goals against each game: 1, 1, 1, 2, 4, 3, 3, 2, 1
If you only give up 2 goals a game you'll be in every one.

Good point.

We kicked the crap outta Philly. Then couldn't score against 'em and got shut out.

We let our fans down and allowed Dallas to score 4 straight and they beat us on home ice. Then we returned the favor to Dallas and reversed it. Beat them on their home ice in the same fashion.

Chicago skated all over us and the score could've been way worse. Worse game of the season thus far.

In Pitt, we deserved a better fate, but the penalties killed us like CHI forced us to take. However, I believe most were unforced in Pitt. The disallowed goal for us was a mistake. But we failed in that game and need to play all 3 periods next time. Didn't in that game.

Boston is still good and the Capitals are very dangerous. Big tests for the Cats.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado

Not only do I think it's sustainable, I think they can do better. I'd explain my reasoning but I don't have time. It's very advanced stuff.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Not only do I think it's sustainable, I think they can do better. I'd explain my reasoning but I don't have time. It's very advanced stuff.
I can't comment on the Stars win since I didn't watch that, but outside of that the PP has only been good in two games and both of those games featured a very bad PK by the opposing team. Flyers blowout, they won a lot of faceoffs and got puck possession that way. Avs win, again faceoff wins and the Avs allowed zone entry way too easily, highlighted by Trocheck's coast to coast goal. Outside of that, the team has struggled with zone entries to the point where it becomes comical to watch. Shortly put, they're screwed if they don't win the faceoff. When they do get possession in the offensive end, there's only a few guys (Bjugstad/Ekblad/Pirri) that they're trying to set up, it's too easy for the opposing team to take those players away, which is why we've seen Jagr try to shoot-pass to Barkov in front of the net. And speaking of Barkov, our net front presence is screwed when he's not playing. Trocheck was the only player that went there in the last game and even he just resorted to trying to deflect (he literally stood as far away as possible from the shooting lane, just enough that his blade is going to reach), instead of taking Berra's eyes away.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I can't comment on the Stars win since I didn't watch that, but outside of that the PP has only been good in two games and both of those games featured a very bad PK by the opposing team. Flyers blowout, they won a lot of faceoffs and got puck possession that way. Avs win, again faceoff wins and the Avs allowed zone entry way too easily, highlighted by Trocheck's coast to coast goal. Outside of that, the team has struggled with zone entries to the point where it becomes comical to watch. Shortly put, they're screwed if they don't win the faceoff. When they do get possession in the offensive end, there's only a few guys (Bjugstad/Ekblad/Pirri) that they're trying to set up, it's too easy for the opposing team to take those players away, which is why we've seen Jagr try to shoot-pass to Barkov in front of the net. And speaking of Barkov, our net front presence is screwed when he's not playing. Trocheck was the only player that went there in the last game and even he just resorted to trying to deflect (he literally stood as far away as possible from the shooting lane, just enough that his blade is going to reach), instead of taking Berra's eyes away.
Brickley. :)

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado

What I've noticed is the panthers seem to be in the minority playing a passive pk clogging the middle. Most teams they go against are more aggressive chasing the player with the puck. The answer to getting better numbers against that style of pk is just to move the puck quicker which the have been doing. I think they'll get better at it. A big guy to block the netminder's vision is nice but like you said, they don't really have that right now. Not one that they trust obviously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad