Is HockeyTV as bad as it looks?

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I really want to watch more USHL. Any game I’ve watched this year has been live or through an illegitimate stream. However, I can’t go to every game I want to watch and I can never find streams for USHL hockey.

I downloaded the HockeyTV app, and it just looks dreadful, especially for how expensive it is. For people that have it, is it worth it?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
@MichaelFarrell : When you say: "I downloaded the HockeyTV app," ... did you also subscribe, or simply made a product judgment on the app itself? I had some short strings of monthly HockeyTV subscriptions late in the last two seasons, for the purpose of following the NAHL & USHL playoffs (with occasional diversions to watch SPHL games). The season before those two (Spring 2020), I took advantage of free viewing of HTV streams which informed my later purchase decisions.

My takeaway from all three years was that HTV is the little brother of the FloHockey.tv streaming product (both owned by HockeyTech), so HTV gets less investment in technology & arena infrastructure for its coverage of a very large portfolio of lower level North American minor (amateur) hockey - with the SPHL going along for the ride. So while HockeyTV might be a step down from Flo, it has a lot to offer in terms of hockey coverage. A simple advantage but attractive to me as a semi-regular viewer was the team roster listings in the HTV app. Otherwise, the FloHockey app is superior in its media presentation & they have a growing portfolio of U.S. college & U.S. juniors & lower minor pro conferences/leagues. My only noteworthy gripe with FloHockey.tv is their dependence on mobile "Casting" to share streams with other smart devices, which in my experience has presented a clumsy hand-off of the streaming content (mirroring works just as smoothly & sometimes better). I'm inclined to believe that HockeyTech could be slowly phasing out their HockeyTV product, but IMO it's good enough while it lasts for watching the hockey that it currently streams.

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelFarrell

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
If you sign up through HockeyTV, you get it and Flo Sports. If you pay the same price for Flo Sports, you don't get Hockey TV. If you're just interested in the USHL and not SPHL, various Jr. leagues, or some European leagues; just get Flo Sports. You still get a whole big collection of a ton of different sports included. If you want more options, go through HockeyTV and get all of that plus the chance to watch random euro hockey while you work.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad