Speculation: Is Gunnarsson on Carlyle's bad side?

Penalty Kill Icing*

Kostka maybe good. But he isn't good enough to log those high minutes. It was a brain fart of a decision to go with Kostka-Phaneuf pairing against Nash-Richards-Gaborik. Kostka may not have done anything wrong, but he doesn't have the extra right to help his partner.

Dion instead has to carry his pairing. Heck, even Komisarek would've been better partner for Dion against Rangers.

Gunnarsson was only -1 against Rags, and +2 against Isles; but Carlyle's love for Kostka is getting frustrating for me to endure.

And I thought Phaneuf's stronger side is right side. I could be wrong, but thats what I thought and thats why Gunnar is a far better partner for him.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Leafs are rebuilding. Liles isn't in the plans.

But Mike Kotska is??

The last time I looked, Liles is signed long term. Kotska has played 5 NHL games and is 27 years old. I highly doubt the Leafs look at Kostka as a piece to the puzzle going forward.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Is not the point of this to pair your weakest and strongest D, forming a serviceable pairing? I think we are make a bigger deal out of this than we should be.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Isn't he in the first year of a 3 or 4 year extension?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=613706

Maple Leafs sign defenceman John-Michael Liles to four-year extension

Wednesday, 01.25.2012 / 12:45 PM

The Canadian Press

TORONTO - He could've tested the free-agent waters this summer, but there was never a doubt in John-Michael Liles' mind where wanted to play hockey.

The 31-year-old defenceman signed a US$15.5-million, four-year extension with the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday. Liles says he's pleased to be staying with the Leafs, who acquired him in a trade at the draft with the Colorado Avalanche.

Liles has four goals and 21 points in 34 games this season and is more than good with the notion he might've passed up a more lucrative deal as a free agent.

"Some guys choose to go the unrestricted route but it's a pretty special feeling when Burkie (Leafs GM Brian Burke) went out and traded for me and knowing that he wants me there for years to come," Liles said during a conference call. "As far as money goes, you could say that you leave some on the table. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't ... but I'm looking at it as I was negotiating a contract to stay in a place I wanted to be and play on a team I wanted to play on and live in a city I wanted to live in.

"It feels great. It's a place that's grown very dear to my heart, a place I was excited about getting traded to this summer.''

The five-foot-10, 185-pound American-born defenceman is in the final year of a contract he signed with Colorado that carries a cap hit of $4.2 million. Liles said his extension does contain a partial no-trade clause.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
i thought it was because carlyle wanted phaneuf to play on his strong side (left side). but i guess it would make sense to split duties of their two stronger defenseman.

You are 100% correct, the move was to put Dion on the only side he can play defensively. Nothing more. When Killing penalties they are paired together as the play will be in the d zone anyways and the side of the ice not as important....as Dion will not be on the rush on his weak side.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'd say it's more like 2 years for Finn or Percy and then maybe Lilesy gets traded at that point for assets. Not sure.

I say he gets moved this year at trade deadline or the summer at latest. He is not required moving forward with Rielly and Gardner here. I say that our D will have many changes in the next 12 months.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Kostka maybe good. But he isn't good enough to log those high minutes. It was a brain fart of a decision to go with Kostka-Phaneuf pairing against Nash-Richards-Gaborik. Kostka may not have done anything wrong, but he doesn't have the extra right to help his partner.

Dion instead has to carry his pairing. Heck, even Komisarek would've been better partner for Dion against Rangers.

Gunnarsson was only -1 against Rags, and +2 against Isles; but Carlyle's love for Kostka is getting frustrating for me to endure.

And I thought Phaneuf's stronger side is right side. I could be wrong, but thats what I thought and thats why Gunnar is a far better partner for him.

Dion's stronger side is the left side......but his issues as always is the puck.....he watches it far to much while not looking around and assessing his responsibilities. Kostka is trying to do too much currently, lets see how he does after 20 games before making a real assessment.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
I really do not think Gunnar has played all that well this year thus far. Komi has played his best hockey for us this year and has looked good.

Komisarek get a bad rep no matter what he does. Leaf fans never appreciated Defensive defensemen. They don't score or produce a lot of points and the only time you notice a defensive defenseman is when he makes a mistake.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Dion's stronger side is the left side......but his issues as always is the puck.....he watches it far to much while not looking around and assessing his responsibilities. Kostka is trying to do too much currently, lets see how he does after 20 games before making a real assessment.

Didn't Carlyle put him back on the right side because of he's a bad skater backwards? Not because he gets caught watching

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
There could be many reasons - stronger play being the most obvious (putting aside your dissemination of the stats, which is probably unfair to both players). As others have said, part of it is keeping Phaneuf on his natural side, the one where Carlyle obviously recognises he is much stronger defensively.

But overall, I sense it is Carlyle's way of sending his message loud and clear on if you work hard, you get more ice time - talent and contract be damned. Part of that thinking plays into the "who gives me the best chance TODAY to win" thinking, and the shortened season played a big part in that the first few games I think. But when you give lots of minutes to unheralded D-men like Kostka who absolutely work their butt off and do everything you ask of them defensively . . . it forces everyone to adjust their comfort level and get on the same page.

For some players, this has meant an instant and good response (Komisarek, I'd say is an example of that). For others . . . it's been slow, and we're still waiting (Liles).

And frankly, everyone is still adjusting, Phaneuf's had some off games recently . . . let's see how it shakes out in another 5 games. I think the ten game mark is a much better barometer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad