Is Gretzky the most dominant athlete ever in any major sport?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
leeroggy, I have to imagine that is a track athlete. Just throwing it out there...Carl Lewis?

Also, any boxers in the conversation?

What about a guy like Jim Thorpe?

See my post on page two for boxers. And I'll say it now, I don't believe Ali is the most dominant (though I do believe he was the greatest). Too many guys gave him a tough time, even during his peak. Guys like Robinson, Tyson and Dempsey were simply unstoppable during their primes.

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
Hate to be that guy (I hate Nascar) but diddnt Jimmie Johnson win 4 straight Nascar Titles from 2006-2010, Thats just incredible! Also Tiger in his prime was near unstoppable! You also cant forget about Floyd "Money" Mayweather who has yet to lose a fight! I think he is around 46-0.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Mayweather has yet to even fight in a fight. He consistently ducks serious contenders.

Okay, that was uncalled for and untrue. He fought Oscar, Marquez, Cotto and Mosley after all.

But the guy rarely fights anymore (5 fights since 09). And when I think dominant, I don't think of a guy that won half his fights by decision. And I don't think of a guy who faces most of his big name opponents when they're on the brink of retirement.

Mayweather will always be remembered as a great boxer, but never a great, or even good fighter. He'll be remembered as the Ron Francis of boxing (if Francis was an arrogant ****** who spent most of his career in court).

Last edited:

The Press Express

Sep 16, 2012
@PressDontStress
Mayweather has yet to even fight in a fight. He consistently ducks serious contenders.

You have to be pretty darn good to win 44 fights (26 wins by KO) only fight I have seen him push aside is Pacquaio, this is because they cannot agree on how to divide the enormous amount of revenue generated by the fight. The fight was projected to attract 3 million customers through pay per view which would bring in about 250 million dollars. Add Sponsorships and Ticket revenue and your looking at MASSIVE lump of cash! I have no idea which other fights he has turned down but your crazy if you think Mayweather is not an elite fighter

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I'm a massive Mayweather fan but Rocky went 49-0 with 43 knockouts so if you want to pump up records there you go.

Mayweather is not the most dominant Boxer ever let alone most dominant athlete.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Mayweather is an elite boxer for sure, defensively and technically you could argue he is an all time great. However there is some truth to what the other poster said, it's not by happenstance he goes by the name "Money". He is very careful in picking his fights, and most big fights he took were when the opposition were older and in decline. This shows on the fairly low number of fights he's done too.

You could also argue he's not much of a crowd pleaser with his defensive counter-boxing aswell. If that has any bearing on ATG-lists. For the Paquiao situation, there was no reason for him not to accept a 50-50 purse split at the time. Personally I think the reason was he wanted to protect his 0 loss record.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
You have to be pretty darn good to win 44 fights (26 wins by KO) only fight I have seen him push aside is Pacquaio, this is because they cannot agree on how to divide the enormous amount of revenue generated by the fight. The fight was projected to attract 3 million customers through pay per view which would bring in about 250 million dollars. Add Sponsorships and Ticket revenue and your looking at MASSIVE lump of cash! I have no idea which other fights he has turned down but your crazy if you think Mayweather is not an elite fighter

Mayweather is a great fighter. His defense is amongst the best in history. But a dominant fighter? No. He does not belong in this conversation.

As far as ducking fighters goes, Mayweather used every excuse in the book to avoid Pacquiao, from drug testing (which Pacuiao agreed to) to dates and venues that Mayweather was "unavailable" for to then refusing to split the revenue with Pacquiao. As in, he told Manny "this is as much as you'll get, no share of revenue beyond that" which is just an absurd demand.

And then he tried ducking Alvarez. First, he refused to sign a contract to fight Canelo, saying "We'll fight, I just don't want to put my name on it right now". Then he tried to demand that Alvarez drop in weight (despite Mayweather holding a title in Canelo's weightclass).

He dodged Margarito again and again while Margarito's camp was on their knees begging Money for the fight, he dodged Cotto (which led to the Margarito-Cotto bout).

His entire career is made on waiting to fight guys until they are past their prime, jumping on guys who are just moving up in weight class, and adding ridiculous stipulations to any fights to either weaken his opponent or make them back out completely. He himself has stated he tries to avoid taking on strong opponents because he's "getting older".

Mayweather is a brilliant, gifted boxer. All the talent in the world. But he never backed up the talk of him being the greatest of all time. When people look back fifty years from now, they'll remember Mayweather as talk and broken promises. Can you imagine how Ali would be viewed if he refused to fight Frazier? That's what people think of Mayweather not fighting Manny.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I'm a massive Mayweather fan but Rocky went 49-0 with 43 knockouts so if you want to pump up records there you go.

Mayweather is not the most dominant Boxer ever let alone most dominant athlete.

I've already discussed Marciano's record. In fact, in boxing people put very little stock in records. It's not about wins and losses, it's about who you fought. It's why nobody outside of Kitchener knows who Fitz Vanderpool is despite the guy being the oldest Canadian champ ever (breaking George Chuvalo's long-standing record), having come out of a seven year retirement to win another belt to bring his total to six professional championships (including the WBF world title and WBC international).

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
I've already discussed Marciano's record. In fact, in boxing people put very little stock in records. It's not about wins and losses, it's about who you fought. It's why nobody outside of Kitchener knows who Fitz Vanderpool is despite the guy being the oldest Canadian champ ever (breaking George Chuvalo's long-standing record), having come out of a seven year retirement to win another belt to bring his total to six professional championships (including the WBF world title and WBC international).

I couldn't really care less about his record either, but if somebody wants to boost Mayweather for his record well there you go.

I still think Tyson is the most "dominant" Boxer.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
You could also argue he's not much of a crowd pleaser with his defensive counter-boxing aswell. If that has any bearing on ATG-lists. For the Paquiao situation, there was no reason for him not to accept a 50-50 purse split at the time. Personally I think the reason was he wanted to protect his 0 loss record.

His style may not be the most exciting but he's a massive PPV draw it may not be crowd pleasing but he draws more viewers than anyone.

Which is why he was more than entitled to want more than a 50/50 split, Mayweather is worth more money than Manny so he should get a bigger cut. It shouldn't be much difference but there should be one.

Last edited:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I couldn't really care less about his record either, but if somebody wants to boost Mayweather for his record well there you go.

I still think Tyson is the most "dominant" Boxer.

I'm so torn between Tyson and Sugar Ray. I'd lean toward Tyson, but it's so difficult to ignore Robinson's accomplishments and how many guys he beat the tar out of

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Let's add this athlete (see if you can name him):

While in high school:

Player of the year in his state
Wins state championships
Won a professional tournament in his sport WHILE STILL IN HIGH SCHOOL

While in College:

Four-time All-American
Three NCAA titles
Player of the Year a couple of times
Graduates *** Laude with a Biochemistry degree!

After college:

Joins the US National Team
World Champion - 1982 (played every four years)
Olympic Gold - 1984
World Champion - 1986
Olympic Gold - 1988
Named the best in the world and awarded a new trophy created because of his dominance

Turns Pro:

Wins 148 tournament championships, first all-time at the time
Highest paid athlete in his sport
Wins a professional tournament AT AGE 45!

Returns to Olympics when they admit pros and wins a gold medal in 1996 at AGE 36!

Any guesses?

Think he belongs in this conversation?

Karch Kiraly!

Harry Waters

Oct 19, 2012
Oh please, prime Nadal is the best clay tennisman that ever played the sport and probably the best we'll ever see, but Federer is clearly the player with the biggest legacy and arguably the most talented one.

I'm not denying that, but my point is: to be considered as dominant as Gretzky or Bolt for example, you can't be beaten, while in your prime, from one opponent again and again. And Nadal has a 20-10 record against Federer. While for me Federer is the best ever, he is just not as dominant. I don't see it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Karelin sure should be one of the first mentioned in this thread. Moses and Bubka is no arguing that they are clear number one in their sports. But ain´t Mark Spitz considered at least Phelps equal? I do not follow swimming closely, so could be wrong.

Spitz is not Phelps equal, though Phelps essentially passing up on winning more medals in Brazil will likely impact that discussion. He still dominated on a level that is clear cut above anybody else in terms of swimming.

Not a lot of women thrown out here, but have to think Mia Hamm's numbers are in another stratosphere compared to the rest of the women in her sport and she along with Michelle Akers were the only two women players listed on FIFA's 125 greatest soccer players back in 2004. She certainly has a glittering resume of accomplishments to bring here.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
leeroggy, I have to imagine that is a track athlete. Just throwing it out there...Carl Lewis?

Also, any boxers in the conversation?

What about a guy like Jim Thorpe?

Jim Thorpe might be the greatest athlete of all-time, but dominant might be another thing. The guy could do anything at an elite level to read historical accounts at him. But in terms of blowing other competitors out while doing it, not sure that scans the same way?

Cruor

May 12, 2012
While we're throwing out big names, one I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Bo Jackson, think you could make a case? His dominance in two high-level sports has to be quite unique. Here is the famous ESPN 30-for-30 episode

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Going way back, what about Jack Johnson (no, not the former King/current Jacket)?

A great fighter, one of the greatest, but a lot of question marks again. Race played far too big a role in Johnson's career (what he did for black fighters was both a boon and a bane). At first, they wouldn't let him fight white fighters, and then when he became champ, he refused to fight black opponents on the grounds that he would make more money fighting whites. He didn't exactly take on all comers, and tended to duck fights. Reminds me of another fighter from that era, who I mentioned earlier in this thread. Jack Dempsey, while a phenomenal fighter who put on the single most dominant fight I've ever witnessed was also known for ducking opponents and it's what keeps him from being at the top of this discussion.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Jim Thorpe might be the greatest athlete of all-time, but dominant might be another thing. The guy could do anything at an elite level to read historical accounts at him. But in terms of blowing other competitors out while doing it, not sure that scans the same way?

Him and Lionel Conacher.

Anyway, Babe Ruth's records were off the grid.

And then there's this guy...

Phil-Taylor-001.jpg

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
See my post on page two for boxers. And I'll say it now, I don't believe Ali is the most dominant (though I do believe he was the greatest). Too many guys gave him a tough time, even during his peak. Guys like Robinson, Tyson and Dempsey were simply unstoppable during their primes.

Roy Jones Jr is most dominant boxer up until he went up in weight class and it ruined his speed but it lasted for 15 years, long enough.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Roy Jones Jr is most dominant boxer up until he went up in weight class and it ruined his speed but it lasted for 15 years, long enough.

If you want to talk switching weight classes, it was Robinson's performance at welterweight and middleweight that brought forth the idea of a "pound for pound" best boxer. It didn't exist before him. The guy won nearly 90 amateur fights before he finished puberty, knocked out 84 men professionally, and went unbeaten for over 90 fights. And this was in just 8 years to boot. How many fights did RJJ fight during that 15 year stretch?

Numerous respected writers and boxing historians consider Sugar Ray the greatest fighter of all time. The man fought nearly two hundred times and lost fewer than 10% of those fights over a 25 year period.

RJJ was a great fighter for sure. You have to be to capture titles at four different weight divisions. But he fought three, four times a year while Robinson sometimes fought three or four times a *month*, which he was able to do because the fights rarely ended with his opponent standing.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
If you want to talk switching weight classes, it was Robinson's performance at welterweight and middleweight that brought forth the idea of a "pound for pound" best boxer. It didn't exist before him. The guy won nearly 90 amateur fights before he finished puberty, knocked out 84 men professionally, and went unbeaten for over 90 fights. And this was in just 8 years to boot. How many fights did RJJ fight during that 15 year stretch?

Numerous respected writers and boxing historians consider Sugar Ray the greatest fighter of all time. The man fought nearly two hundred times and lost fewer than 10% of those fights over a 25 year period.

RJJ was a great fighter for sure. You have to be to capture titles at four different weight divisions. But he fought three, four times a year while Robinson sometimes fought three or four times a *month*, which he was able to do because the fights rarely ended with his opponent standing.

Yeah, the reason i'm for RJJ is the way he was able to handle his opponents, he was able to play with them.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Honestly I always thought it was Tiger Woods but Gretzky has to be in the convo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad