Confirmed with Link: Is Glen Sather Stepping Down? [UPDATE: Yes]

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Sather is leaving on June 30th. That's all. Not going to read a novel and get into a whole debate on something that honestly does not interest me one bit.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The background for me is that I have been annoyed for a long time with Sather's lack of interest in improving the organization. I am sure he has written out checks for Reggie Grant if he wants to improve his side, to the scouts if they had an idea that needed funding, to AV's crew and so forth. But we haven't had anyone at the top driving things for a long time.

This has certainly created big holes in the organization, having one of the worst farms etc. We don't have a clue about how to develop a kid. We have made real bad reads in relation to the CBA. Some of these can surely be debated, but OTOH its certainly an area where you only see the tips of the ice bergs if you get what I mean. Right? How is our analytic department?

Who is running our AHL franchise? Its Chris Drury, he has a major work load. Our senior advisors are Slats pals, they aren't pulling any work load for us. Its he and Gorton that runs the show totally outside the amature side. Toronto has -- counting Slats as a bit of a silent president, even if he opened meetings etc -- 6 guys to do the job Gorton and Drury shares. And like: What does Drury know about the AHL? What it takes to have a good organization? What is important for kids? Does it even matter for the kids or not if the product is good? The answer is easy, just look at the horror show HFD have been for years. Since Paddock left.

Now Slats is stepping down. I want someone that really is willing to come in and roll up the sleeves to come in and replace him. Not someone that can just act as a place holder while Gorton have to carry all responsibilities himself with the help of an unexperienced AGM.

Like we are short already after Steve Greeley left to get a better shot at a GM spot in Buffalo (or for whatever reason he left)...

This post comes across as unnecessarily cynical.

Especially when you're questioning JDs character while complaining about past moves.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
SBOB- Fair point, just asking myself, why JD? The reasons given are the opposite of what I would want.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i loved JD as our goalie, and enjoyed him on TV;
he has the resume of a solid candidate for the Pres job.

But i am sure there are a handful of other NHL execs who are qualified and ready for a step up, for this career-highlight high-visibility and impact opportunity

hoping Dolan and Sather do their due diligence before making a selection

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

But i am sure there are a handful of other NHL execs who are qualified and ready for a step up, for this career-highlight high-visibility and impact opportunity

Like I said earlier in this thread: I'm curious to know what the New York Rangers' job description for the President's job is.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If you don't want JD, that's fine. I'm just a little confused when your biggest argument doesn't really have anything to do with him.

Yeah, but I mean, why hire Davidson? The reasons given — for — him is just kinder garden level. He won’t get in the way. Then you don’t hire anyone at all, what is this??

Reactions: egelband

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
hmm, maybe he wasn't fully on board with bringing in JD? Thank you for the work you put into the team over the years.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I think the it's like most jobs in the sense that if you have the first part (solid resume), the sense of familiarity with the organization and the environment is worth a lot of points.

The reality is that New York and MSG is not for everyone. In Davidson's case, so long as his philosophy aligns with the Rangers, I think it's his job to lose.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Yeah, but I mean, why hire Davidson? The reasons given — for — him is just kinder garden level. He won’t get in the way. Then you don’t hire anyone at all, what is this??

What it is, is a bunch of posters on a message board that have no idea what the actual job description, specifically for the president position of the NYR, is and just throwing thoughts out there. If the Rangers hire JD to fill the position, don't conflate poster's reasons with theRangers' reasons.

My guess for reason's they sign him even though I have no idea what job is specific to the NYR:
- His fairly successful resume as President for two different NHL franchises over 13 years.
- In discussions with him, his vision for the Rangers is in line with the current executive group in place. Just like any other company hiring an executive.
- Because of the above, they would value his opinion/voice
- His familiarity with the franchise (as Edge already pointed out).

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Imagine if Messier had been coaching or was in management the past 10 years. He'd have a decent resume by now.
We all love Mark for helping to bring a Cup to the Rangers. That being said, he's too full of himself for his own good. His second stint here and leaving for Vancouver, for that matter, proved that. I'm glad that he's still unemployed. No one gets handed an NHL head coaching job without any experience nowadays.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
We all love Mark for helping to bring a Cup to the Rangers. That being said, he's too full of himself for his own good. His second stint here and leaving for Vancouver, for that matter, proved that. I'm glad that he's still unemployed. No one gets handed an NHL head coaching job without any experience nowadays.
It feels like he's the star quarterback from high school who won it all at States but now works in the grocery store. But I guess he's actually rich and retired but it does sort of feel like that when his name pops up in the news concerning job openings and he still hasn't developed his resume.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Schoney is leaving and nobody is stepping in to replace him as of yet. Gorts in Slovakia scouting kids, understandably. We lost Greely, hasn't been replaced as far as I know.Not

Most coaches sign new deals way before today's date. Who are we getting to coach in HFD? Who will run the team?

Look, I understand that from our POV the only decisions that matter are if we should sign Panarin or not, who to draft at 20. That is all running this organization is about before Camp starts. But there is just so much more to it than that, and so many more decisions that really have an impact. Which environment will -- all -- our kids in HFD play in during next season, we get talent, which environment to develop in do we provide them with?

I know many think that I am over-exaggerating, maybe I am, but it just seem like we totally are a ship without a captain right now. I like our amature scouting, I like what Gorton is doing in relation to the bigger moves and direction of the franchise. But everything else? Slats has left after him a total mess with a bunch of dinosaurs at all positions, friends and family, horrible farm, so much is just so far from good. Someone must really be prepared to come in and get to work ASAP and steer this things in the right direction.

Davidsson just seem like a total clown, one PO series won in what 15 years. He prezed a team with Tortorella as his coach. Yzerman is up and running in Tampa, reports have that CBJ will grant us permission to talk to JD. Its not about waiting out some contract (which would be odd).

Could there be a cool-down period? CBJ wanting JD to not work for anyone else before after the draft? But at the same time -- its now the real pre-draft work start. Presidents is hardly as a norm in the loop of the draft talk to start with. Just don't add up to me.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Schoney is leaving and nobody is stepping in to replace him as of yet. Gorts in Slovakia scouting kids, understandably. We lost Greely, hasn't been replaced as far as I know.Not

Most coaches sign new deals way before today's date. Who are we getting to coach in HFD? Who will run the team?

Look, I understand that from our POV the only decisions that matter are if we should sign Panarin or not, who to draft at 20. That is all running this organization is about before Camp starts. But there is just so much more to it than that, and so many more decisions that really have an impact. Which environment will -- all -- our kids in HFD play in during next season, we get talent, which environment to develop in do we provide them with?

I know many think that I am over-exaggerating, maybe I am, but it just seem like we totally are a ship without a captain right now. I like our amature scouting, I like what Gorton is doing in relation to the bigger moves and direction of the franchise. But everything else? Slats has left after him a total mess with a bunch of dinosaurs at all positions, friends and family, horrible farm, so much is just so far from good. Someone must really be prepared to come in and get to work ASAP and steer this things in the right direction.

Davidsson just seem like a total clown, one PO series won in what 15 years. He prezed a team with Tortorella as his coach. Yzerman is up and running in Tampa, reports have that CBJ will grant us permission to talk to JD. Its not about waiting out some contract (which would be odd).

Could there be a cool-down period? CBJ wanting JD to not work for anyone else before after the draft? But at the same time -- its now the real pre-draft work start. Presidents is hardly as a norm in the loop of the draft talk to start with. Just don't add up to me.
They replaced Greeley with Jed Ortmeyer

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Greeley is one of those guys always looking for his next gig. A little bit too ambitious.
I can’t blame him for trying to climb the ladder quickly with the opportunity to be AGM in Buffalo. It would’ve been his here if he stayed and waited, so maybe it’ll be something he regrets. Botterill seems like he’s got an easy cushion there for a while and is helping reset the image around the Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad