Is G Logan Thompson the early Calder favorite? 4-2-0 / .943 sv% / 1.69 gaa

Is G Logan Thompson the early Calder favorite with 4-2-0 / .943 sv% / 1.69 gaa ?

• Yes

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 41.3%
  • No - Its stil Matt Beniers

Votes: 20 26.7%

• Total voters

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Still living the dream this guy.

Just very short period of time ago he was still playing in the middle of nowhere
in the USport, some Canadian University hockey.

Now, starting goalie in Vegas, for Golden Knights, in the NHL
surrounded by almost 20 000 fans in every home game.

Gotta love these sport stories.

- the great start for his second ever season in the NHL i think, has put him to the leader spot for Calder
what you guys think?

• Love
Reactions: Dutronc

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah as much as I want to say yes, I agree with @NyQuil. All it would take is a small handful of less than stellar games which could be Vegas' defense having the wheels come off to make that statline a lot less impressive. I think if you awarded the Calder today, which would be silly, you'd give it to either Thompson or Beniers with Thompson in second. But he needs to keep this up all year if he wants a shot.

All I'll say is I'm overwhelmingly happy that Thompson has played out like he has. He really does seem like Vegas' starter for the future and it's such a great story of hardwork and determination to get here.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If he ends up leading some goaltender stat categories and the Knights win the Pacific I think he'd have a great case. Would love to see him and Hart duke it out to be Canada's next great goaltender.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Le
2nd in Vezina voting says otherwise.
ss advanced stats available, so people literally valued wins and GAA over Sv%. Not to mention SOs were factored in far more back then as well. Mason definitely did not deserve those votes. Of all goalies that played 30+ games, he had the 12th best Sv% tied with Brodeur, Lundqvist, Ward, and Smith. All advanced stats points to him having a very average season under a strong defensive system. I'd argue Rinne and Hiller were both better rookie goalies.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Hoping Skinner can get more games in to be on the radar for the Calder, but right now its too early to call anyone though LT is certainly up there.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Nope. 6 games for a goalie means nothing. He could have 2 stinkers this week and his stats will look very very average.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Calen Addison could turn into a dark horse candidate to win the Calder.

Currently leading all rookie defensemen in scoring (7 pts in 9 games) and quarterbacking PP1 with Kaprizov, Boldy and Zuccarello to help pad his stats.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Its probably pretty rare for a rookie goalie to have a team like VGK around him huh?

He's got teh combo of talent and team to keep his #s up, would be hard to say no if he stuck around Vezina #s on a division leading team all year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Beniers is scoring 0.86 points per game. That's damn good rate for a 20-year old. Better than any of last season forward rookies.

Last season he scored 9 points at 10 games. This could be his real level.

So far NHL career:
30 games, 10+17=27 points, 0.87 points per game.

Also don't like Thompson as a Calder candidate, just like Bunting was last year. Nothing against Thompson, he is doing great, but let's wait for full season, when there's more video material to find weaknesses from him.

It's a goalie yeah, so maybe the age thing it's more understandable,

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Beniers is scoring 0.86 points per game. That's damn good rate for a 20-year old. Better than any of last season forward rookies.

Last season he scored 9 points at 10 games. This could be his real level.

So far NHL career:
30 games, 10+17=27 points, 0.87 points per game.

Also don't like Thompson as a Calder candidate, just like Bunting was last year. Nothing against Thompson, he is doing great, but let's wait for full season, when there's more video material to find weaknesses from him.

It's a goalie yeah, so maybe the age thing it's more understandable,
25 is pretty standard for a rookie goalie.......

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sanderson’s really good, but defenseman rarely get much Calder support unless they score at a high rate
He's on pace for 40 points playing 22 minutes a game in all situations. As a plus player on a team with a negative goal differential. Playing with a pretty poor partner as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad