Is Filip Zadina starting to look like another Alex Nylander?

Is Filip Zadina starting to look like another Alex Nylander?

• Yes

Votes: 57 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • Too early to say

Votes: 28 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Was drafted in 2018, its his 5th development year with Red Wings organization,
should he still get the " benefit of a doubt "* or should the Wings just move on?

Filip was drafted 6th overall and still yet to establish himself as NHL regular,
at least not in the sense what was expected of him, nor has he developed to where
he should have already be at right now, in 22-23 season as the next season.

18-19 : 64 games in the AHL, 38 points / 9 games in the NHL, 3 points
19-20 : 21 games in the AHL, 16 points / 28 games in the NHL, 15 points
20-21 : 49 games in the NHL, 19 points
21-22 : 74 games in the NHL, 24 points

In his Draft year he was ranked from 2 to 4, he "dropped" to 6th
and was considered as a steal.

We all remember that Habs fan reaction, for rest of our lives,
as she could not believe Habs did not pick Zadina at 3rd overall.

I have been reading Red Wings boards about him,
it seems he has been given every possible opportunity
but has failed to meet the high expectations

What's your opinion about Zadina?

*because of a new coach

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
He's done considerably more than A.Nylander did in the NHL by that age so not quite that bad. He also has had better luck with injuries by comparison.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
It’s funny because watching him I actually like his game a lot. Always seems to do the small things right.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not too many guys from that 2018 1st round have turned into anything at all.. there are the obvious group that have but other than that, alot havent

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Him not being able to light up the AHL is a bit of a red flag no?

Looks like he was in the AHL at a very young age and still put up decent numbers. No idea what his supporting cast looked like at that point either.

I'd take a flier on him for sure but no idea why DET would give up on him at this point, unless he's looking for a big payday.

Reactions: Lavar Ball

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
That entire cohort of Czech youngsters (1997 thru 2002) has seriously underwhelmed. Disappointing. I hope the Jiricek/Kulich/Sale group is better at reaching their potential.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Just want to say that as a Red Wings fan, I have the opposite opinion of the above Red Wings fans. I don't see him doing the little things right at all. I don't see talent and his lack of production to this point is not particularly surprising

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
That entire cohort of Czech youngsters (1997 thru 2002) has seriously underwhelmed. Disappointing. I hope the Jiricek/Kulich/Sale group is better at reaching their potential.
I would have some more patience with Necas. One down year doesn't mean anything. He has all the tools, talent and compete in the world to become an elite NHLer, just needs some puck luck and confidence. He was stellar in the 20-21 season.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Cenzhin

Mar 2, 2018
Calgary
Just want to say that as a Red Wings fan, I have the opposite opinion of the above Red Wings fans. I don't see him doing the little things right at all. I don't see talent and his lack of production to this point is not particularly surprising
100% agree, he looks bad. Slow skater, terrible shot accuracy, weak puck protection, bad positioning, floats a lot. Don't see any redeeming qualities with him.

Reactions: Realgud

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017

I agree that he doesn't do the little things right, which is the main cause for his lack of production, but the hands are definitely there:

100% agree, he looks bad. Slow skater, terrible shot accuracy, weak puck protection, bad positioning, floats a lot. Don't see any redeeming qualities with him.

He's not slow.

Last edited:

Cenzhin

Mar 2, 2018
Calgary
I agree that he doesn't do the little things right, which is the main cause for his lack of production, but the hands are definitely there:

He's not slow.

In a vacuum I guess, but a slow skater for the type of player he is. He's weak on the puck and doesn't have the agility or shiftiness to beat a defender.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I think he's terrible. Was sad when the wings drafted him over hughes, but it is what it is. Slowed down the rebuild for a bit.

That said, there's still a sliver of hope that he somehow puts it all together this season under a new coach/team and make me look like a fool but I wouldn't bet on it.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
He does a lot right on the ice, except score. It's ironic because that was his hallmark in his draft year, but thus far it just hasn't translated. He's pretty good defensively and can definitely make nifty passes routinely. If his shot comes together, then we might see him justify his draft position. In general though, 2018 looks like a really bad draft overall, so it's not even a disasterous pick outside of passing on Hughes (sigh).

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Chytil just had a monster playoffs. Necas is a top 6 player

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
He’s better than Nylander but that isn’t saying much. It’s put up or shut up this season. Thought this guy was going to be good.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Zadina is a very frustrating player, because when you watch him play you can tell he's very talented and should be scoring, yet he doesn't.

So frustrating and thats why hes so polarizing on the wings forum. He generally passes the eye test and looks really solid. His shooting percentage is so low though it doesnt make sense. Hes a guy I keep expecting it to click for when you watch him but it still doesnt happen.

I would bet money on him scoring 20 in the NHL for sure, because his shooting percentage isnt going to be 6% his whole career. I dont know if a 20 goal scorer is an amazing pick or worth the hype he had but hes definitely better than Alex Nylander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad