Is Eric Tangradi Climbing Anyone's Draft Board?

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Actually, he fell off the charts of mine with his poor year... I thought he'd be a mid round pick, but I have no idea if he'll even be picked now.

I'm in much the same position as you. I was surprised he was ranked by CSS in their midterm ranking. But now I'm wondering if he's winning anyone over. I haven't seen any playoff games so I can't comment on how he's coming by all these points all of a sudden.

Bulls guy

Nov 5, 2006
BelleVegas
His play has definelty picked up in the playoffs. He is showing alot more confidence with the puck and is being put out in key situations. I think the light may have went on in his head and finally realized that he was a big kid and could use that to his advantage.

studley49

Oct 8, 2003
Flinton/Toronto, ON
Visit site
From what a friend of mine told me...... "he's about 6' 3 or 4", pure muscle."

At this point I'll say he definitely won't be a top 6 forward, but could turn out to be a decent pick for a 3rd or 4th liner. Works hard, solid defensively and has the size to punish (OHL site has him at 6'3", 205 lbs.) - just a matter of how you see his development curve.

Could end up being a late round steal, but in my mind he should atleast be given a tryout in the fall.

Cyclops II*

The Generals are terrible defensively. Even a nobody like Tanaka has lit them up. If Tangradi looks as good in the next series he might be worth considering.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
The Generals are terrible defensively. Even a nobody like Tanaka has lit them up. If Tangradi looks as good in the next series he might be worth considering.

I guess some of those points came aginst Ottawa too. Tanaka, by comparison has 5 points in 8 games.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
His play has definelty picked up in the playoffs. He is showing alot more confidence with the puck and is being put out in key situations. I think the light may have went on in his head and finally realized that he was a big kid and could use that to his advantage.

I have watched Tangradi throughout the year and seen him play three times in the playoffs.

"A light went on in his head" - that's the perfect way to describe it. He's a rookie who played 3rd and 4th line throughout the year with no PP. He came from U.S. Prep School and played like it - tried to hold onto the puck way too long, didn't use his size, wasn't aggressive.

Belleville got some injuries and suddenly he was playing a lot more and in different situations. It's been like night and day. He's been an absolute monster physically and offensively. The kid is huge, skates extremely well, handles and shoots the puck very well, and can hit like a truck when he wants to. In game 2 he absolutely steamrolled James Delory, a Gens defenseman who is around 6'5" and 225 lbs. Also in game 2, he was quarterbacking the power play from the half boards and showed a lot of smarts and a lot of poise with the puck.

Point of reference: in the three playoff games I have seen, he has been better than Shawn Matthias, who was a second round pick last year. They play a similar style of game, but Tangradi looks more skilled, stronger and definitely has quicker feet.

Had Tangradi played the whole season like I have seen him in the playoffs, IMO he would be talked about as a potential first round pick, and certainly no worse than a second round pick.

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I have watched Tangradi throughout the year and seen him play three times in the playoffs.

"A light went on in his head" - that's the perfect way to describe it. He's a rookie who played 3rd and 4th line throughout the year with no PP. He came from U.S. Prep School and played like it - tried to hold onto the puck way too long, didn't use his size, wasn't aggressive.

Belleville got some injuries and suddenly he was playing a lot more and in different situations. It's been like night and day. He's been an absolute monster physically and offensively. The kid is huge, skates extremely well, handles and shoots the puck very well, and can hit like a truck when he wants to. In game 2 he absolutely steamrolled James Delory, a Gens defenseman who is around 6'5" and 225 lbs. Also in game 2, he was quarterbacking the power play from the half boards and showed a lot of smarts and a lot of poise with the puck.

Point of reference: in the three playoff games I have seen, he has been better than Shawn Matthias, who was a second round pick last year. They play a similar style of game, but Tangradi looks more skilled, stronger and definitely has quicker feet.

Had Tangradi played the whole season like I have seen him in the playoffs, IMO he would be talked about as a potential first round pick, and certainly no worse than a second round pick.

I barely noticed him trough the regular season but he has really picked it up in the playoffs. After finding out where he played last year combined with his late season improvement I also think he may be a good mid round pickup. Obviously he has good size and does move pretty good for a big guy....not quite as quick as Matthias who is more a smooth skill guy IMO but I think Tangradi is more a up and down crash/bang guy. IMO he is a just as good if not better a prospect then some of the other Bulls such as Neal and Cameron.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
For anyone who's interested, I went to game 4 in the 'Shwa last night.

Tangradi and his line (Doig & Tanaka) had numerous chances in the 2nd and 3rd periods, and they connected on a beautiful tic-tac-toe 3-on-2 in the 3rd. On that particular play, Tangradi took a drop pass from Tanaka, dangled the defenseman, faked the shot to get the goalie down and passed back door to Doig for an easy tap-in.

If there's a 6'4", 210 lbs. power winger in this draft with the kind of hands and feet that Tangradi showed on that play, I would really like to know who he is.

Incidentally, I saw him amongst the Belleville fans after the game with a man I presume is his father. The dad looked to be around 6'6" and an athletic 260.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
For anyone who's interested, I went to game 4 in the 'Shwa last night.

Tangradi and his line (Doig & Tanaka) had numerous chances in the 2nd and 3rd periods, and they connected on a beautiful tic-tac-toe 3-on-2 in the 3rd. On that particular play, Tangradi took a drop pass from Tanaka, dangled the defenseman, faked the shot to get the goalie down and passed back door to Doig for an easy tap-in.

If there's a 6'4", 210 lbs. power winger in this draft with the kind of hands and feet that Tangradi showed on that play, I would really like to know who he is.

Incidentally, I saw him amongst the Belleville fans after the game with a man I presume is his father. The dad looked to be around 6'6" and an athletic 260.

martin ylven (linkoping). just because he is norwegian;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad