Is Dmitry Orlov the best Caps dman this season?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Hell no.

In terms of expectations, propably 5th best. Carlson has been even worse in that regard. Schmidt about as what you'd expect and Orpik better than expected. I had pretty low expectations about top-4 Orlov and he's managed to be even worse than that. Defensively he makes atrocious mistakes from time to time and offensively he's taken a major step down too. No longer worried about losing him in the expansion draft.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Best offensive Dman.

Worst defensive Dman.

Trotz tries to make him into decent two-way D and it is not working.

As trick9 correctly noted in increased role his offensive side game got worse and his defensive one stagnates.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Niskanen is clearly the best D on the team right now. Carlson at his best is probably slightly better but that is a rare occurrence nowadays.

That being said, Orlov is looking fine. People here in general overstate his mistakes especially when a recent game (against NYI) was one of his worst and tend to forget about others' mistakes (Niskanen has been burned more than a few times this year, Alzner has looked a half step slow and is a huge drag on offensive production, and Carlson has been a lazy/injured shell of himself).

I'm interested to see the Orlov-Niskanen pairing because it seems like the first time Orlov has had a good defensive partner in ages and it could maximize both of their talents (Orlov offensively, Niskanen defensively).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Leading the Capitals defense in points is like being the hottest girl at the family reunion. Nobody on the Caps blueline is scoring.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
No longer worried about losing him in the expansion draft.

This.

I'm big Orlov's fan personally, but he isn't helping Caps to get the Cup in my eyes. There is mismatch between his needs/state and club's.

Bound to part ways with Caps (I dont believe in miracles anyway).

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
He's the most noticeable D for sure either through his pizza deliveries at his own zone or rushes in O or hits or being exceptionally bad in front of own goalie. Commentators often say his name, more often than other Ds. One night he's worst, another is the best. Unfortunately the former is more often than later this season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Orlov has drool-worthy potential. He has the talent and physical ability to be a legitimate top pair guy. It just doesn't look like he's ever going to put it all together.

And no, he hasn't been the best defensemen. He's been better than I thought he'd be (my expectations were really low) but he's still leading the team in pizzas/60.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Niskanen
Alzner
Carlson
Orpik
Orlov
Schmidt

Edit: And...being among the Caps point leaders on defense is really not saying a lot. he's 3rd out of 6. 25 games into the season he has 8pts and is only two ahead of Oprik, who doesn't play offense, and Schmidt who has been scratched 4 games. He's second in goals from defense, but that is only 1. Who is impressed by that?

I am not hating on Orlov. He's just not the best d on the team. Oh and the Caps wont be protecting him for the ex draft

Last edited:

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Niskanen
Alzner
Carlson
Orpik
Orlov
Schmidt

Edit: And...being among the Caps point leaders on defense is really not saying a lot. he's 3rd out of 6. 25 games into the season he has 8pts and is only two ahead of Oprik, who doesn't play offense, and Schmidt who has been scratched 4 games. He's second in goals from defense, but that is only 1. Who is impressed by that?

I am not hating on Orlov. He's just not the best d on the team. Oh and the Caps wont be protecting him for the ex draft

Not to pivot, but I notice that Schmidt is last on your list above. I still don't get how he always earns the healthy scratch.

Certainly there are weaknesses in his game, just as there are with Orlov. But 88's speed is really top-tier, and he is often key to setting up a good chance or even a goal, as he did for OT winner last night, and Williams's first goal of the season, and, at least according to Walton's radio play-by-play, a good chance for Ovie last night.

If offense is a problem right now, which it certainly seems to be, and if defensemen activating is one of our apparent attempts to answer that, then I really wish they would trust 88 more. He activates as well as any of them.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Schmidt has been playing fine. Along with Orlov, he's the only defenseman capable of effectively joining the rush and helping get clean possessions into the offensive zone. And he's doing that without the high risk plays and turnovers of Orlov. No idea why he's getting any hate.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not to pivot, but I notice that Schmidt is last on your list above. I still don't get how he always earns the healthy scratch.

Certainly there are weaknesses in his game, just as there are with Orlov. But 88's speed is really top-tier, and he is often key to setting up a good chance or even a goal, as he did for OT winner last night, and Williams's first goal of the season, and, at least according to Walton's radio play-by-play, a good chance for Ovie last night.

If offense is a problem right now, which it certainly seems to be, and if defensemen activating is one of our apparent attempts to answer that, then I really wish they would trust 88 more. He activates as well as any of them.

He gets the healthy scratch because you they are not going to scratch Carlson or Orlov. If they didn't need Chorney to play now and then, Schmidt wouldn't be scratched at all.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Schmidt has been playing fine. Along with Orlov, he's the only defenseman capable of effectively joining the rush and helping get clean possessions into the offensive zone. And he's doing that without the high risk plays and turnovers of Orlov. No idea why he's getting any hate.

Ive said this before. How good would Orlov be if he made decisions and reads like Schmidt does?

Frankly if Schmidt could start finishing he might bump his way up the lineup. He missed a wide open net twice in the same shift last night.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
they are not going to scratch Carlson or Orlov.

But that is my question. Why will they not scratch Orlov? They were willing to do it in the playoffs last year, when stakes were much higher. What gives him protected status now, especially if, as was surmised above, he may well be left unprotected for expansion draft anyway?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But that is my question. Why will they not scratch Orlov? They were willing to do it in the playoffs last year, when stakes were much higher. What gives him protected status now, especially if, as was surmised above, he may well be left unprotected for expansion draft anyway?

by all indications the Caps and Orlov/agent have a verbal agreement that if Orlov signed his contract which was less than his season last season would have earned that the Caps would play him higher in the lineup.

So for the same reason he hasn't skated any 3rd pair time this season, he wont get scratched for certain

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
by all indications the Caps and Orlov/agent have a verbal agreement that if Orlov signed his contract which was less than his season last season would have earned that the Caps would play him higher in the lineup.

So for the same reason he hasn't skated any 3rd pair time this season, he wont get scratched for certain

By "all indications?" I think you mean by your speculation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad