Is Dan Cloutier one of the worst playoff goalies of all time?

archstanton

Dec 8, 2010
Vancouver
Solid goaltender during the season but his playoff numbers are horrendous.

Game 7 against the Wild:
Dan Cloutier 12 saves / 16 shots

The Canucks were up 2-0 in Game 7. For me this was a more devastating loss than 2011.

2002-2003 Playoff stats
GAA 3.24
SV% .868

How would the Canucks fare with one of the goaltenders they got rid of?
Sean Burke/Artus Irbe/Felix Potvin

Reactions: rnhaas

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yup.

He was the opposite of "solid".

They're a dangerous team with Burke, they got a real shot with Irbe, they're in a moderately better situation with Potvin...and with Cloutier, you're turning to Alex Bald.

Cloutier was a guy who developed in a time just before the butterfly really proliferated and he just didn't really have any adaptability. He thought he could "compete" his way through his lack of talent and really...process...like the process of making saves on certain shot types, especially non-threatening ones, is a big deal...think about Martin Brodeur (a guy who was a fairly similar boat timeline wise) and his process for stopping longer shots actually turned into sudden change breakouts for his team. Cloutier faced every shot like it was his first in the NHL. So, that's a lot of energy put into every shot and it's a lot of uncertainty that came with every shot.

Vancouver wasted an opportunity with that guy in the pipes.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I remember those series against Detroit and Minnesota 02 and 03, where it just seemed that you can't win with him.

He looked better against calgary in 04, i thought but he got injured and I don't believe he finished the series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad