Speculation: Is D or Center more of a need.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Honestly think it has to said. I truly believe center depth is a weaker area than D.

When you look at players who can be called up/down easy to see we have far better D options. At center Goat, Miro and Moore.

Im not counting Nylander as Babs has quite enthusiastically said he isnt ready to be a fulltime center. Hed also rather not use Marleau there.

Take the recent Barrie rumor. I wonder if we are moving Gardiner out (or dermott hope not) for a center in a different transaction. Only time will tell but, one poster was quite ademit that we need more D depth. So has me wondering.

To me we have Holl...huge yr, Rosen iffy, Lily next yr some time maybe, Borgman, Carrick, dermott, polak

Reilly returns after break (hopefully) Zaitsev soon after so there ya go.

Thoughts?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Imagine if they could swap like a JT.Miller and mcdougangh for Bozak and Dermott and 1st-

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Ever since the Leafs added the big three core players up front and Andersen in net, it’s been easy to argue that the biggest need for the franchise is a top end defenseman. Last season, that was blatantly obvious. However, after adding Hainsey and more recently Dermott, I think it’s a very fair question (strictly talking about this season only). If this defense core can stay healthy, it’s now much more respectable with Dermott in the mix. I realize it’s only been a few games for him, but you can see it in his game, and his resume leading into the NHL backs him up. The centre position, on the other hand, is obviously world class at the top with Papi, but then it’s kind of questionable, moreso than the defense core depth, IMHO.

So I agree that there is more of a need at centre than defense now. I like parts of Kadri’s game, but there are clear flaws. I don’t see him as a line driver. He works hard and gets to the dirty areas to score close in goals, can play a strong defensive game against other teams’ stars, but there is more to be desired if we want to get more from our second line.

Going further, I’m not a fan of Bozak, he adds very little. No point talking about goat and Moore, they’re just bubble NHL players at best.

Adding a top flight #2 centre won’t come cheap or easy, but if it costs about the same as adding a top d man, I’m hoping they go after a centre instead.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Nylander is ready to play center IMO. I think he would thrive if he was given his own line to center with wingers that would complement his game. I feel that he's a competitive guy and we should set up a situation where Matthews is the top line, Nylander is the second line. Then Nylander is going to want to try to out-score the Matthew's line and there will be a healthy competition between the two lines. Then we have two dynamic scoring lines (with the Nylander line being super fast)... then we still have Kadri for our checking line. Bozak is a hell of a good number 4 center. Solid center depth.

XXX - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Nylander - Kapanen
XXXX - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Bozak - XXXX

fill in the blanks with JVR, Hyman, Leivo

and if Babcock really thinks that Nylander can't play center yet... I'd just switch Nylander and Marleau and then move Nylander to center when Marleau's contract is done or Babcock feels that Nylander is ready.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Because Nylander isnt ready...by coaches admission. So Kadri gets hurt then what. You have to have a plan B. Us at center our plan Bs are 4th liners at best...Miro may turn into 3C but not anytime soon. We have far greater D options. Im not saying we dont need a RHD. But saying center needs to be addressed. We are a couple injuries away from a possible disaster...imagine Matthews breaks his foot say and Naz gets a hit to th head and concussed. So then we have what?

Bozak, Marleau, Moore, Goat/Alt?

Right now we have 2 big D hurt but looks to be a survivable issue.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I think ill go with the triple gold coaches admission..as to whether Nylander is ready vs yours..no offense.

Plus i agree. Defensively he isnt there yet. Matthews is a different level of player..most centers in jr and AHL start on the wing in the NHL and a lot stay there. Nylander may well be a center one day...just going on what Babcock has said and he has been quite ademit about it.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Im okay with trading JVR and Bozak cap space for Tavares.

I am also okay with developing our d-men. These guys are going to round out their game eventually. When I think of Borgman and Dermott and Liljegren and even Carrick, I think of them as being better than they are now when they have lots of NHL games under their belt.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Grundstrom Tavares Marner
Marleau Kadri Brown
______ Aaltonen Kapanen
Leivo

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Carrick
Borgman ______

Andersen
______

Gauthier Soshnikov Johnsson Korshkov can fight it out in training camp.
Liljegren Ozhiganov can fight it out in training camp.
Mcelhinney Sparks Picard Kaskisuo can fight it out in training camp.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We need both if you think Bozak has lost a step like i do. Double that need if you aren't satisfied with Moore as our fourth line center.

Aaltonen might be the better option soon if he keeps playing solid for the Marlies. If we get Barrie or are interested in him its a quality interest.

Barrie won't cone cheap but we need defense that moves the puck and quarterbacks a powerplay. Lou knows how to evaluate his defensrs historically ao i trust him.

I would not mind adding a center prospect for a winger prospect of equal value in development.

Both are needs.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If you mean going into next season, we're more likely to need a C because two of our current four options are UFA. Only one of our top six D is a UFA, but we might be more likely to make the bigger splash there out of the two positions. I expect new additions at both spots though. I can see the argument for both.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
This is why I think it’s important to give Aaltonen a shot to see if he can play up here. If Aaltonen impresses in the 4C role that’s one less problem we have.

Kadri is a good 3C (and I know we don’t have a traditional line heirarchy) but he’s not good enough to be 2C. That will eventually be Nylander but if we could get a great 2C in a trade I would trade a couple wingers for that. Dermott has really helped stabilize our D and with Rielly and Zaits coming back the glaring need may be the center.

That being said, if OEL can be had for something decent, he would be my first target.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
This is easy IMO. Leafs are pretty strong at center. Matthews, Kadri, Bozak.. You could do a lot worse in this league. I don't understand all the doom and gloomers regarding the center position. Leafs haven't been this strong there in years.

Leafs defense is a bottom 5 unit and it's not even debatable.

Reactions: cupcrazyman

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Dont know about top flight center but like a bonino type. You can argue we have 2 first lines a 2nd and a 3rd no true 4th line in say lasts nights battle. But point is we are 2 injuries at center away from disaster. Imagine Kadri and Matthews go down...yikes.

We are missing 2 huge D now and looks like we are surviving. Not to mention I look at 2 factors..team D and positional D. Its our Team D that is overall the reason 4 late game collapses (most times). Also a center helps us make sure we have strong players staying in strongest positions. Obvious Babcock doesnt trust Bozak defensively or hed be out killing on Pk.

With the emergence of Dermott and Kapenen. I think we go for a center now and i know we will run hard to land doughty.

With the Barrie rumor...if true..makes me wonder if Lou has 2 burning hot coals..one is Barrie the other is a center and the other team wants PMD as part of a deal. Or less likely 3way trade...us avs and buff...buff gets Barrie we get Orielly?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
This is why I think it’s important to give Aaltonen a shot to see if he can play up here. If Aaltonen impresses in the 4C role that’s one less problem we have.

Kadri is a good 3C (and I know we don’t have a traditional line heirarchy) but he’s not good enough to be 2C. That will eventually be Nylander but if we could get a great 2C in a trade I would trade a couple wingers for that. Dermott has really helped stabilize our D and with Rielly and Zaits coming back the glaring need may be the center.

That being said, if OEL can be had for something decent, he would be my first target.
How is Kadri not good enough to be a 2c?

Reactions: OppositeLocK

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
You think we are bottom 5 D. So EDM Buff, NYR, MTL, Sens, AZ...i can keep going. We are middle of the pack.

You also are not getting it. Injuries happen, right now 2 huge holes Reilly and Zaits..yet we are surviving. So Kadri and Matthews get hurt or any combo of them and Bozak we have this

42 20 33 45 (miro) id say our center depth is a prob. Added to it coach said it many times Nylander is not playing center this yr and prob not next..he doesnt wanna be forced to put Marleau at center. So going on admission of our triple gold coach Id say center is the big hole.

On D we have far more depth..incl Dermott and Borgman here. Healthy we have

Rielly Haines
Gard Zaits
Der/Borg--Polak/Carrick

Thats 2 extra than allowed so one goes down.

Marlies we have Holl killing it and hes RHD, Timmy RHD, Rosen LHD, Val

Its my opionion thats better than 3 4th line bound centers goat, miro, moore

Than no one on marlies is even close

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I argue he is already..we dont have real true 4th line. More like 1a 1b 2 3.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
The easy answer is we need both centre and defence personnel. Nylander in his 3rd full season could start to play centre full time but there needs to be depth in case it's premature. I don't mind PuckMagi's proposed line-up but here's my version of it:

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Nylander - Brown
Johnsson - Komarov - Altonen
Martin

or something like

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Leivo - Eller - Kapanen
Komarov - Bozak - Brown
Martin

Last edited:

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
How is Kadri not good enough to be a 2c?

On a contending team? He would slot in as a third line center. I like Kadri, but his 30-30 season last year seems to be an outlier. Everything went amazingly well for him. This season is more in line with career norms for Kadri.

The short answer is, if Kadri is our 2C in a year or two we have an issue.

Reactions: Goonface2k14

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The Leafs will trade for a 4C this year long before they consider trading for D (I highly doubt they ever will trade for this magical top 4 RHD - they have built up depth just fine for the long run plan). Just like last year, 4C is their main hole. Babs doesn't think Moore is good enough. The Goat failed to step up when given the chance. Aalt isn't close (and likely never will be). And after this year they are going to have to replace Bozak, and have squat depth throughout the organization.

The Leafs D played fine in the playoffs last year - even dealing with injuries to Zaits and Polak. They are better this year with the additions of Hainsey, Borgman and Dermott. They have Liljegren coming along, and can always give the likes of Rosen another shot if they need too. However, Leafs fans will never over their hysteria about their D-core.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We're short a shutdown 2way 3C and a top 4 RD

I'd say there both pressing issues that need solving so i'd rank them pretty evenly

Luckily for us C and D look like pretty good options to pick in the early to mid 20's in this year's draft

Reactions: Coatsy79

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad