Is corsi real?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I guess you just straight up didn’t read the article. At least not carefully. He took goal stats from 05-06 to 2014-15 and put them against long term shot stats from the same time frame to predict the outcome of 2015-16. Goal stats were better by a large margin.
You can’t use, for example, the 2005 LA Kings top predict whether the 2015 LA Kings will win/lose because the team is completely different. What he "predicted" wasn’t team performance but which metric would most strongly correlate to team performance within that season which is a completely trivial result.

What you want is to predict the outcome (or the goal differential) of future games, not what the relationship between goals/wins will be. (In fact a large part of the basis for using Corsi is that it predicts future goal and this translates into predicting wins/losses because you already know the relationship.)

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Comments on both sides of the aisle are going over the line. Please respect one another.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
It's a good measurement for especially what it was created for.

As for it's end result, I've been very skeptical since the day the Kings who were 1st in CF%, ended up not making the playoffs. I see a lot bottom 6 players nowadays taking a lot of useless shots. I'm sure that at a certain extent, they're told by their agents to boost their advanced statistics

If I were a GM, only the team number would be important to find a tangible measurement for my coach's system, by then again, I can go back to my original skepticism.

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
It's a good measurement for especially what it was created for.

As for it's end result, I've been very skeptical since the day the Kings who were 1st in CF%, ended up not making the playoffs. I see a lot bottom 6 players nowadays taking a lot of useless shots. I'm sure that at a certain extent, they're told by their agents to boost their advanced statistics

If I were a GM, only the team number would be important to find a tangible measurement for my coach's system, by then again, I can go back to my original skepticism.
I saw a lot of tweets that people start migrating from Corsi to Scoring Chances as a prediction tool. I guess Goals is the next logical stop. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad