Is Butch Goring a HOFer?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Stan Fishler said in the pre game that the HHOF voters need to wise up and put Butchie in.

Butchie played his last game before I was even born so I didn't get the pleasure of seeing him play.
My father always told us that the trade to bring Butchie in out us over the top and he was a speedy 2way forward and really good on the PK.

He won all four cups with the isles. He has over 1000 games played and has 888 career Points
He's won the Masterson,Lady Byng and Conn Smyth as well as 4 cup rings.

For those older enough to have seen him what are your thought?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I would go with no, he was a good player but nothing spectacular(although I only say him at the tail end of his career, somebody who seen him in the 70s might disagree).

As an announcer a hell yes he should. lol

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
He's bubbliscious, but do I think he is worthy. He had a great career even before he was such a huge part of the Islanders SC dynasty teams. Bossy was a freak, but Goring was a playoff beast.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
typical stan fishler rhetoric.

phil housley isn't even in the HOF for christ sakes, and he is 4th all time in points by a D-man. Butch has some cups, and hardware under his belt, but he wasn't one of the best of all time. He was an integral piece to the cup teams, and put up some decent numbers in his career, but that's about it.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
Clark Gillies is not a Hall of Famer if you are asking me, I think someone can make an argument that Butchie is more deserving of Gillies for being in the Hall, as someone else said being in the HHOF should be saved for the best and the best and the elite of the elite, I think the only Isles who are really deserving of that are Potvin, Bossy and Trottier

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
No for butch.
But I will chip in for a hooked on phonics for him .
For me he was a very good player . But not HHOF.
As an announcer , if he left the booth last night and never came back
I would be ok . Based on his track record he belongs coaching.
And that is a compliment.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
yea i do not think he should be in HHof .
I can not even fathom how there would be a debate

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
A good player, but not a Hall of Famer. I wouldn't be against seeing him have his jersey retired, however.

I would. Watering down the standard of retired numbers isn't good. I don't think Nystrom's # should be retired. And I don't think Gillies should be in the HOF (number retired I'm ok with).

scott99

May 13, 2005
No he's not. Not even close.

I wouldn't go that far. You're probably too young to remember him playing. I'm an old geezer (52), I saw him play a lot, he is definitely border line Hall of Fame. There are players in the Hall with comparable stats, then you add in the playoff stats for Butch, and I can understand what Fischler is saying. Borderline, very close. Like I said, there are players with very comparable stays in there (regular season stats).

scott99

May 13, 2005
Clark Gillies is not a Hall of Famer if you are asking me, I think someone can make an argument that Butchie is more deserving of Gillies for being in the Hall, as someone else said being in the HHOF should be saved for the best and the best and the elite of the elite, I think the only Isles who are really deserving of that are Potvin, Bossy and Trottier

Let's not forget, being the best of the best isn't always about stats. The greatest ever also made an impact on the ice besides stats, whether it's leadership that helped the team being a winner, great defensive play, etc. Cant base Gillies career impact solely on stats, can't base Goring's career impact solely on stats. Look at Bob Gainey and Rod Langway for instance. Based on stats, Goring's stats blow away Gainey's, but Gainey is in the Hall of Fame because his impact wasn't just stats.

Last edited:

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I wouldn't go that far. You're probably too young to remember him playing. I'm an old geezer (52), I saw him play a lot, he is definitely border line Hall of Fame. There are players in the Hall with comparable stats, then you add in the playoff stats for Butch, and I can understand what Fischler is saying. Borderline, very close. Like I said, there are players with very comparable stays in there (regular season stats).

There are people in the HOF who don't deserve to be there. I"m a small room kind of a guy--the fewer the more prestigious it is.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Butch had a great career, was deadly on breakaways (would have been great in shootouts) and was a very good two way player but not a HOF.

^^^ well put, this sums up how I feel. Excellent player and helped the team gel but not HOF material which is no slight on Butch as only the best of the best deserve HOF.. That team was so deep, there are a few other guys that would need to be given the same consideration as Butch for HOF (for instance Tonelli had 836 career points and many big moments but not HOF)

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
^^^ well put, this sums up how I feel. Excellent player and helped the team gel but not HOF material which is no slight on Butch as only the best of the best deserve HOF.. That team was so deep, there are a few other guys that would need to be given the same consideration as Butch for HOF (for instance Tonelli had 836 career points and many big moments but not HOF)

Great point. If you let Goring go in....how could you not let Tonelli in?

Or even a guy like Bourne (to a lesser extent) or even Persson in, who helped the team quite a bit during the dynasty.

It's never a bad thing to stay cautious when letting HOF players in--you can always let them in later if opinions are changed. But once in--you can't throw them out.

The hall is for the all-time greats. Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, and Smith are obvious. Even Lafontaine is kind of borderline for me (but I get why he's in-because he's one of the best off of the ice of all time, not to mention arguably the greatest US forward of all time).

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
He was a very good player, not a Hall of Famer. I remember first following hockey when there were less teams and the Kings were pretty bad, Butch and Juha Widing where their elite players and only because they had Rogie Vachon could they win games.

Imagine Shane Doan being traded to the Isles this year and then Doan scored 40-50 points for 3 years on cup winning Islander teams, it would not make much sense for him to be in the hall of fame.

I would argue Turgeon before Goring or Gillies for sure. I agree that Nystrom should not even have his jersey retired, and also agree that Gillies should be retired.

Butch's numbers earlier in his career are padded by being the top guy on a bad team. As a point Andre St Laurent became the top scorer on the Red Wings after being a bottom 6 guy on the Isles. Butch was a much better player than ASL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad