• Yes

Votes: 86 31.4%
  • No

Votes: 188 68.6%

• Total voters

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
After a slow start his production was back at elite levels the second half of this season and was his typical 200’ game self this year. 48 points in 37 games in the Panthers second half. In terms of total package he’s absolutely still a top 10 center.

IMG-1902.jpg

In the playoffs? He’s left something to be desired. And as the heartbeat of the team? I mean at this point, it’s hard not to say Tkachuk has become the iconic player. But those are separate issues from “is he a top 10 center” or “is he overrated”.

Last edited:

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
The players themselves voted him the most underrated. Don’t need to know anything beyond that.
If that's true, the players are simply wrong....they would simply see him as a guy that is really good and think....this guy is really good, but we don't hear a lot of noise about him....therefore = overrated....but the players don't always here all the talk about different players.

I voted "yes", not because he's not a good player, I think he's a great player.....approaching the top end of the players in the league, I just think he's rated too high generally from what I've heard from people vs. where he should be. As an example, I saw someone suggest he's thought of as a top 10 center in the league.....I've heard people talk about him even being way higher than that....like discussed amongst the top 5 players period....which is overrating in my book.

By the same logic, I've seen players that I don't think are that good, but would say they are underrated because they are better (in my opinion) than some people think.....but that doesn't mean I think they are very good.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He was 15th in the league in P/GP this year and tied for 8th among centers. And nobody ahead of him is even remotely close to being a Selke winner / regular Selke finalist. Of course he is still a top 10 center. This coming from somebody who thinks at like top 4-5 is too high and acknowledging that a few "kids" have likely passed him in pure game impact. So sure, he may be more in that 7, 8, 9, 10 range on most ledger's now but the idea that he's overrated because he was considered underrated for so long has him, ironically, basically being underrated again.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I don’t see anyway he’s not, especially amongst us here. He’s regularly voted a top 5-7 C and you barely talk about him ever in the Playoffs. His 2 way game is also overrated. Still an elite player of course.

Lavar Ball

Neva Lost
Apr 23, 2022
Chino Hills, CA
For me…

McDavid

Drai/MacK/Matthews (sorry not gonna drop AM just yet because of a bit of a down year)

EP/Hughes/Point (EP has become elite both ways, Hughes is just so dynamic and is at the very least attentive and trusted in all situations and Point is a multi-Cup engine who just scored 50 goals)

Barkov/Crosby/Eichel (yup, gonna piss people off with Jack here but he’s still elite)

Tage is still a heavy work in progress on the defensive side of the blueline and Stutzle is also still refining his overall game. So even though their production is reaching this top 10 level, I’m not ready to go there yet. You could project them ahead by next season and that’s reasonable. I could also say that development and production is not linear growth even among high level talents so a bit more of a resume to sink into should be a consideration as well.

Aho, Hintz, Ziba etc would also be in this group…maybe slightly less overall production but a guy like Aho is a complete 200’ player and anchors a Cup contender. Same with Hintz. Ziba is inconsistent but when he’s running hot he’s just a monster. Center is just gloriously deep at the moment.
I agree with this breakdown. I might personally get rid of the Barkov/Crosby/Eichel tier and move Eichel down to the Tage tier and Crosby/Barkov up to the Point tier, but I'm cool with this ranking

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I agree with this breakdown. I might personally get rid of the Barkov/Crosby/Eichel tier and move Eichel down to the Tage tier and Crosby/Barkov up to the Point tier, but I'm cool with this ranking
Lol was second guessing myself too on a few so went back and deleted it entirely but kinda glad you kept it in a quote so I can look back later and see what I was thinking in May of 2023! :D

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
It blows my mind barkov Is only 2.5 million less then mcdavid…
No taxes is a thing. He’s basically compensated as much as McDavid net. I never hear his name called during the playoffs, he’s already been easily overtaken by Tkachuk as the best player on the team. He’s by definition overrated in every sense.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Depends. He's obviously an amazing hockey player but 6 goals, 27 points -2 in his past 31 playoff games. Good but not great.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
The players themselves voted him the most underrated. Don’t need to know anything beyond that.
The players also voted Draisaitl as the best passer and he's not even top 30 in assists in the playoffs. The players know nothing! I once saw a player brag about what a great hockey player Nelson Mandela was. That's about the level of knowledge of the average NHL hockey player...

And yes, Barkov is totally overrated. It's clear to anybody that Tkachuk is the top guy in Florida right now!

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
No taxes is a thing. He’s basically compensated as much as McDavid net. I never hear his name called during the playoffs, he’s already been easily overtaken by Tkachuk as the best player on the team. He’s by definition overrated in every sense.
Yeah, I mean I hardly notice he’s on the ice, you’d think a $10 million player would be noticeable lol

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
It blows my mind barkov Is only 2.5 million less then mcdavid…
It blows my mind you havent heard about Barkov beeing voted most underrated player by the players 2x. It also blows my mind you have no idea about RFA vs UFA signing. McDavid signed an RFA contract for 12.5M as Barkov had his contract at 5.95M. Now Barkov signed longterm UFA at 10M and McDavid will sign his next for 16-17M. It`s essential to have a clue about the player you write about, dont you think?

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I find him to be a passenger offensively. If you're looking for your team to push to tie a game or turn the tide he isn't the one doing it in the offensive zone.

Reactions: I am not exposed

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It blows my mind you havent heard about Barkov beeing voted most underrated player by the players 2x. It also blows my mind you have no idea about RFA vs UFA signing. McDavid signed an RFA contract for 12.5M as Barkov had his contract at 5.95M. Now Barkov signed longterm UFA at 10M and McDavid will sign his next for 16-17M. It`s essential to have a clue about the player you write about, dont you think?
It blows my mind how confrontational people can be

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
It blows my mind how confrontational people can be
Same here "It blows my mind barkov Is only 2.5 million less then mcdavid…". You might want to ask yourself again why?
Next year you can "It blows my mind Bedard is 5M less than Nuge". Then you can again ask yourself why that is?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The players also voted Draisaitl as the best passer and he's not even top 30 in assists in the playoffs. The players know nothing! I once saw a player brag about what a great hockey player Nelson Mandela was. That's about the level of knowledge of the average NHL hockey player...

And yes, Barkov is totally overrated. It's clear to anybody that Tkachuk is the top guy in Florida right now!

Maybe we will have to wait until Draisaitl gets 15 assists in a series eh?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00