OT: Is anyone playing hockey or getting ice time on LI?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
As far as I can tell, there's still no way to play recreational ice hockey on the island? Or maybe I am mistaken and there is somewhere to play? Seems like both Hockey LI and Midnight Hockey are still out (wouldn't be shocked if they never come back either even after pandemic). I checked a few rinks that I know of and found no open hockey sessions or anything.

Maybe Rink Rental would be the only option for ice.

As far as organized hockey, the only thing I'm aware of is Roller Hockey at SkateSafe America in Bethpage....their men’s leagues seem to be going strong right now

Is anyone playing or getting ice time anywhere?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
As far as I can tell, there's still no way to play recreational ice hockey on the island? Or maybe I am mistaken and there is somewhere to play? Seems like both Hockey LI and Midnight Hockey are still out (wouldn't be shocked if they never come back either even after pandemic). I checked a few rinks that I know of and found no open hockey sessions or anything.

As far as organized hockey, the only thing I'm aware of is Roller Hockey at SkateSafe America in Bethpage....their men’s leagues seem to be going strong right now

Sports Arena in St. James is doing Dek and I believe there's both Dek and Roller at Rapid Fire in Center Moriches.

For Ice I think my buddy said it's close to coming back for mens league. IDK what org/league he's in.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

I believe my towns rink has open hockey. It used to your rangers practice facility.

City of Long Beach Municipal Ice Arena

Theres a schedule link in there.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020

Midnight hockey and Premier hockey long island are slated to relaunch very soon. Both leagues have contacted my former teams in the last week to gauge interest and setup payment plans.

As for rental situations right now the only thing that is approved are "clinics" which is the same loophole as building a structure outside your restaurant in the city for "outdoor" dining. Basically open hockey session with a few skill drills thrown in.

Skatesafe is a madhouse right now, everyone i know has joined their mens league.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Suffolk county high school at the Rinx is supposed to start next week, hopefully that means rinks and men’s leagues will be ramping up too

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Midnight hockey and Premier hockey long island are slated to relaunch very soon. Both leagues have contacted my former teams in the last week to gauge interest and setup payment plans.

As for rental situations right now the only thing that is approved are "clinics" which is the same loophole as building a structure outside your restaurant in the city for "outdoor" dining. Basically open hockey session with a few skill drills thrown in.

Skatesafe is a madhouse right now, everyone i know has joined their mens league.

Damn, you ain't kiddin. I just counted 65 teams in one division on their website...I wonder how they are allowed to be open right now but other places aren't. I used to play roller at sportime down the road, and they look closed too.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
Damn, you ain't kiddin. I just counted 65 teams in one division on their website...I wonder how they are allowed to be open right now but other places aren't. I used to play roller at sportime down the road, and they look closed too.

Honestly i have no clue why the roller hockey places are allowed to be open but not ice hockey. Rapid fire and the sports arena out east are both open or were open recently enough to my knowledge. If i had to guess i would say it's probably because roller hockey you have less folks on the roster and you play 4 on 4 ? Who knows. Skate safe is large enough where you can easily social distance as you get dressed as well even with two games going at the same time.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Suffolk County High School started last night at the Rinx
Kids played wearing masks under their cages
Refs wore masks, had hand buzzers instead of whistles, no spectators
Seemed to go ok, I guess this is the future?

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
My grandson plays travel (10u) and they have been on the ice practice/scrimmage since Oct/Nov. ( Off ice training started in Aug) They finally have their first games next week. To be honest with school being such a mess hockey has been a God send

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
anyone playing pond hockey anywhere? I wonder if there are any good spots frozen over right now on the island.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Suffolk County High School started last night at the Rinx
Kids played wearing masks under their cages
Refs wore masks, had hand buzzers instead of whistles, no spectators
Seemed to go ok, I guess this is the future?
Masks DURING hockey ?! What the hell is the point ?? Might as well have been able to play the entire pandemic then if masks still have to be worn. I have my first game tonight. If they tell me I need a mask while playing I’m telling them I want my money back and if they refuse I won’t be playing again until this mask bullshit is done.

Update: No mask was required during game. A few people chose to wear them though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad