OT: Iron Chef HFNYR (Recipes/Game Meal or Snack Pics)

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Lower the heat after deglazing
OK then in the oven or all in cast iron on stove?

My thought process was (next time) clean and trim, boil stock, halve them and cook for like 1 min in stock... remove & shock in ice water, drain well and then cast iron cut side down as I did w garlic and oil

I appreciate the info BTW

I am "self trained" so any help is appreciated

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
OK then in the oven or all in cast iron on stove?

My thought process was (next time) clean and trim, boil stock, halve them and cook for like 1 min in stock... remove & shock in ice water, drain well and then cast iron cut side down as I did w garlic and oil

I appreciate the info BTW

I am "self trained" so any help is appreciated

No need to complicate it.
Half them, season then sear them with garlic in olive oil but remember that olive oil has a low smoke point so nothing more than medium/ high heat.
After you get a crust on them add stock to deglaze the pan, lower the heat and continue cooking until desired tenderness.
No need for an oven.
#Profit lol

Reactions: Riche16

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Made my aunts fasolakia (Greek braised beans) again but this time with chicken.

View attachment 458469
View attachment 458468

I royally F’d up though. That dish needs to be served with feta cheese and I didn’t have any. Still delish though.

I'm Greek and that looks so good! Basically how we do it minus the chicken. But yeah, got to have feta cheese bro lol

Reactions: Kupo

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'm gonna get @Riche16 laid tonight with this recipe lol

Panko-Crusted Salmon
Ingredients
2/3 cup panko (Japanese dried bread flakes)
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons good olive oil
Four 6- to 8-ounce salmon fillets, skin on
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Lemon wedges, for serving
Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
In a small bowl, mix together the panko, parsley, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil and stir until the crumbs are evenly coated. Set aside.
Place the salmon fillets, skin side down, on a board. Generously brush the top of the fillets with mustard and then sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Press the panko mixture thickly on top of the mustard on each salmon fillet. The mustard will help the panko adhere.
Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or large heavy, ovenproof pan. When the oil is very hot, add the salmon fillets, skin side down, and sear for 3 to 4 minutes, without turning, to brown the skin.
Transfer the pan to the hot oven for 5 to 7 minutes until the salmon is almost cooked and the panko is browned. Remove from the oven, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve the salmon hot or at room temperature with lemon wedges
Oh okay, I see how you are. So........ you quote me, and then make it a point to say that......"you're going to get "@Riche16" laid tonight with this recipe. What the f*** am I? Wood? He's only 16, plenty of time for that. Haha.

Dont you dare quote me again, unless you're trying to get me laid......lmao.

Reactions: NYR

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Made carbonara last night for the first time in a while. Couldn't find an guanciale so I just used some pancetta. It was alright. The pancetta itself wasn't great and didn't provide the salt punch I needed for the carbonara.
I've used thick cut bacon also (live in FL so Italian meat markets aren't everywhere)

If you can get slab bacon and cut yourself its passable

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Made carbonara last night for the first time in a while. Couldn't find an guanciale so I just used some pancetta. It was alright. The pancetta itself wasn't great and didn't provide the salt punch I needed for the carbonara.
If you ever find yourself in SLC go to a place called the Copper Onion downtown... best carbonara I have ever had

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Half them, season then sear them with garlic in olive oil but remember that olive oil has a low smoke point so nothing more than medium/ high heat.
After you get a crust on them add stock to deglaze the pan, lower the heat and continue cooking until desired tenderness.
No need for an oven.
#Profit lol
See this is the shit I can't get watching Food Network etc.

My thought process w veggies is always shock them (boil then ice bath)

But I never think of roasting then deglazing.

:thumbu:

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I'm gonna get @Riche16 laid tonight with this recipe lol

Panko-Crusted Salmon
Ingredients
2/3 cup panko (Japanese dried bread flakes)
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons good olive oil
Four 6- to 8-ounce salmon fillets, skin on
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Lemon wedges, for serving
Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
In a small bowl, mix together the panko, parsley, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil and stir until the crumbs are evenly coated. Set aside.
Place the salmon fillets, skin side down, on a board. Generously brush the top of the fillets with mustard and then sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Press the panko mixture thickly on top of the mustard on each salmon fillet. The mustard will help the panko adhere.
Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or large heavy, ovenproof pan. When the oil is very hot, add the salmon fillets, skin side down, and sear for 3 to 4 minutes, without turning, to brown the skin.
Transfer the pan to the hot oven for 5 to 7 minutes until the salmon is almost cooked and the panko is browned. Remove from the oven, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve the salmon hot or at room temperature with lemon wedges

I googled panko-crusted salmon out of curiosity cause this sounds so delicious and actually found the same recipe you posted for it here: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/panko-crusted-salmon-recipe-2107225

I'll definitely give it a shot with how much I love salmon lol.

Last edited:

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
alright, i just read 14 pages of a lot of good stuff. who has a chili recipe for me? This is the one I've been making for Cincinnati Chili via an instantpot/ I do add some kidney and pinto beans to it.

Ingredients
2 pounds LEAN ground beef 1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups beef broth
8 ounce can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa 1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 ounce can tomato paste
FOR SERVING: cooked spaghetti, hot dogs, or baked potatoes
TOPPINGS: lots of shredded cheddar cheese, chopped onion, and kidney beans

Instructions
INSTANT POT:
  1. Using sauté function, cook ground beef and onion together for about 8 minutes, or until beef is browned. Alternatively, do not brown beef first for a more authentic, softer texture. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds more. Hit CANCEL.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT TOMATO PASTE. Stir to combine and secure on lid with valve sealed.
  3. Cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 20 minutes then use quick release. After valve goes down, take off lid and stir in tomato paste. Simmer on SAUTE for 5-10 minutes, or until desired thickness. Serve on cooked spaghetti or hot dogs with desired toppings
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
@RickChartraw I've got you bro...

Grabbed this recipe off YouTube... sam the cooking man or something:

2 ribeye steaks
1 can chipotle pepper
1 white onion (diced)
2 red belle peppers (diced)
1 poblano pepper (diced)
1 jalapeno (seeded, diced, devein if not wanting hot)
1 dark beer (I use Guinness)
4 cloves garlic (fine chop)
28 oz can tomatoes

Rub:
4 tbsp Chili powder
2 tbsp course black pepper
4 tbsp garlic powder
3 tbsp cumin
3 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp sugar

- Make rub, coat the steaks well on all sides, reserve the rest

- hot grill... sear the ribeyes on both sides (rare center) then remove to foil and rest
- in crockpot or similar... sweat veggies then add the rub (about 2 tbsp) 2 tbsp of chipotle sauce and one chili (more if you want hot)
- 1 cup dark beer
- simmer on low 30 mins
- after steak has rested, cut into bite sized and add to chili along w the juice from steak

Serve as is, or with whatever (cheese, scallion, bacon, sour cream, etc)

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
please do, I always eye those things up and then realize I have no idea what to do with them.
SO good and so easy...

Basic gist... cut them in half (I like width so you end up w two bowls). Snip the ends also so they will lay flat. Scoop the guts and seeds (like a kid at halloween). Coat inside with olive oil or butter and lots of S & P

Place face down on cookie sheet... bake for 40-50 mins at 375...

In skillet brown some mushrooms (oil or butter, red pepper flake and salt) & set aside... 1 lb ground beef or turkey... brown and drain, add 2 shallots (minced) and the shrooms... season well w S & P and about 1tbsp dried thyme and sage. Add 3 tbsp parm cheese... stir well and add mix to the "bowls"

Top w Mozzarella cheese and place back in 375 over for 10 minus or until bubbly

Serve like a bowl of pasta

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
No need for an oven.
#Profit lol
We otta be changing for this info!

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Oh okay, I see how you are. So........ you quote me, and then make it a point to say that......"you're going to get "@Riche16" laid tonight with this recipe. What the f*** am I? Wood? He's only 16, plenty of time for that. Haha.

Dont you dare quote me again, unless you're trying to get me laid......lmao.

Lol. I gave you the info. Now make it for a girl lol

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I googled panko-crusted salmon out of curiosity cause this sounds so delicious and actually found the same recipe you posted for it here: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/panko-crusted-salmon-recipe-2107225

I'll definitely give it a shot with how much I love salmon lol.

Pshh.. My off the boat Italian grandmother has been making it like this long before food network or any of us were even existed lol.

Only difference is that she used different fish like Bransino, bass w/ homemade breadcrumbs.
Salmon wasn't really a thing back then.

Her stuffed crab wasn't much different.
Just minus the mustard and up the garlic

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
See this is the shit I can't get watching Food Network etc.

My thought process w veggies is always shock them (boil then ice bath)

But I never think of roasting then deglazing.

:thumbu:

Personally, I love veggies that way but if it's accompanying dishes like we're talking about then a little flavor couldn't hurt.

There's so many different things you can use.
Wine, splash of red wine vinegar, water, stock.

How about a little garlic, white wine, fresh lemon juice and a touch of butter? :naughty:

Reactions: Riche16

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
6290C309-8546-498C-B6C1-DD217FA1C670.jpeg
FFA11679-04CC-49EE-9884-EF41D2DBD0EC.jpeg
Btw my mixer I use for baking. My GF’s only reaction was like, really……..

Attachments

• 66538490-216F-45BC-8D39-E539D04D8CED.jpeg
    66538490-216F-45BC-8D39-E539D04D8CED.jpeg
    200.2 KB · Views: 3
  • E92413EE-B2A6-4E3B-BDB2-447B135D49D2.jpeg
    E92413EE-B2A6-4E3B-BDB2-447B135D49D2.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: egelband and NYR

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino