Invitees to Cdn U20 development camp

no Gino

May 16, 2005
Artie said:
Could it be that they are all still under-age?

This is Plante's last year. My guess is the other 4 outperformed him at the goalie camp.

White will have one more year. As for the two youngsters, wasn't Tavares invited to the main camp last year?

Louiss

Feb 28, 2002
twitter.com
that's only because Esposito will participate in the U-18 Summer Tournament in August...

he will be invite to the main camp in December

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
The first thing that jumps out at me is no Mikkelson. I guess his injury really hurt his chances.

LWD

Apr 2, 2006
Tavares and or Esposito would not be a factor this years World Junior. IF they make the team this year it would be at the cost of other players who are older and better. They would just be like Toews was last year a political pump up by Hockey Canada.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Good to see Kohn there, Burki invited as well. Sutter is pretty young, next year maybe, or if he's a standout at the U18 camp maybe they'll invite him back later in the year???

LWD

Apr 2, 2006
If Brandon Sutters last name was Jones nobody would even notice him.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
LWD said:
I thought he looked good against the Wheaties for such a young guy, and he got better as the season went on. Hard worker at both ends, good hockey sense.
What don't you like about him?

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
LWD said:
If Brandon Sutter's last name was Jones, you'd have no problem with his high ranking.

LWD

Apr 2, 2006
I was only responding to the post about Sutter not being on the U20 list. He had a great year for a 16 year old but that in know way should get him an invite to the U20 summer camp. A question you might want to ask is would he have played as much on a different team at 16 years old? As for his high ranking I could care less at the end of the day Brandon is the only one that will have to worry about that. In response to his hockey skills, they are very good but I wouldn't describe them as great and certainly not elite skills which you would think he should have for someone ranked in the top5.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
LWD said:
I was only responding to the post about Sutter not being on the U20 list. He had a great year for a 16 year old but that in know way should get him an invite to the U20 summer camp. A question you might want to ask is would he have played as much on a different team at 16 years old? As for his high ranking I could care less at the end of the day Brandon is the only one that will have to worry about that. In response to his hockey skills, they are very good but I wouldn't describe them as great and certainly not elite skills which you would think he should have for someone ranked in the top5.
He isn't at the U20 camp because he'll be playing for the U18 team this summer, same as Esposito and Tavares. Sutter in particular wouldn't have been invited anyway, but Esposito certainly would have.

About the rest of your post, no, he probably wouldn't have got as much ice time on a different team, but Red Deer was a poor team, and he was one of their better players. I didn't see enough of them to really get a good idea of whether he earned his ice time or not, but it seems like he did from what I have seen and heard. In any case, his skill level is only one part of his ranking as a prospect and current ability; he is a strong skater, a hard worker and a smart player. I haven't seen enough of the rest of his draft class to have a fully informed opinion on whether his ranking is justified, but he looks right now to at the least be a first round talent. At this stage, rankings are always a little vague before the class goes under the microscope in their draft year, so he could drop, or he could stick, or even rise, but whatever happens I don't think his family background will play any more of a role than it should.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Alter Haudegen said:
Out of interest, how often have you seen him play?

Anytime the Rebels come into MH.

Though, I agree with him not being named to the camp. He's not at the same level as the rest of the guys. He was a good rookie, but he is nothing compared to the guys on the Dub that got named.

Just my 2 cents.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
Ti-girl said:
Anytime the Rebels come into MH.

Though, I agree with him not being named to the camp. He's not at the same level as the rest of the guys. He was a good rookie, but he is nothing compared to the guys on the Dub that got named.

Just my 2 cents.

I have no problem with him not being named. He is just 17 and the team will have up to 12 returning players. He will get his chance down the road. I just asked a question how often the poster LWD have seen him play. :confused:

As for your post I don't think that Codey Burki is really any better than Brandon Sutter but that's just my 2 cents. ;)

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Just to point this out, Sutter (and Esposito and Tavares) were not considered to be selected for camp, because they will be participating in the U18s. I doubt Sutter would have been named anyway, but you can't really say that he wasn't chosen, because he wasn't eligible to be chosen. Esposito certainly would have been there if not for the U18s.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
LWD said:
So you don't think that Brandon has an advantage ?
I do, yes, but I think he should have an advantage. Bloodlines do mean something. His advantage is slight I think though, and as a top ranked kid, the scrutiny he will be under in his draft year will be vastly more important than his name when it comes time to select him on draft day. This isn't like Brett where his dad picked him and he wouldn't have been drafted by anyone else; Brandon is a legitimate NHL prospect that all teams will be taking a very close look at, and under that microscope it will be his talent level and projection as a prospect that dominate the reasons for his selection. Basically, I think his name gives him a significantly larger advantage now than it will come draft day in 07, but I also believe his current high ranking is perfectly justifiable due to his excellent 16 year old year in the WHL.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Greg7 said:
Just to point this out, Sutter (and Esposito and Tavares) were not considered to be selected for camp, because they will be participating in the U18s.

Quoted for emphasis. I can't believe it took this long for someone to point out.

The young guys will be at the U18's at the time of the camp, so they were not going to be invited. This happens every year. Espo and Tavares likely would have been invited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad