Introduction to youth hockey

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
I have a 6 year old boy that wants to start playing hockey.
He's a pretty good skater (going forward), he's still learning to skate backwards, and stop.

I've heard putting him in hockey is better than continuing with skating lessons.
I never enrolled in programs when I was younger, so I'm looking for a few opinions.

I live in Barrhaven, so if anyone could suggest any local programs (aside from the city) that would be great.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Skating lessons, like Canskate, are excellent for long term development but often kids don't enjoy them as much as actually playing the sport so motivation might be better in one versus another. Ideally you'd do both. Skating skills are definitely critical, but so is having fun.

I'm not sure what's available now as it's very late for hockey registration, which typically goes on in June. Your son would probably be the age for the Initiation Program (IP), but I wouldn't be surprised if it's full. You could check with the Nepean Minor Hockey Association to see if there's a waiting list.

You said "aside from the city" but my son's first experience with hockey was with the City of Ottawa's Learn to Play Hockey program. They go for an hour every week and they teach them skills via drills and games and there's usually a casual game of shinny at the end. They gear them towards kids who have never played before, so they are with kids of the same skill level. They offer the program at different times of the year, so you can probably still get in if minor hockey is full for the season.

In the spring you could register him in the Sensplex 4-on-4 hockey league. It starts after minor hockey is over (April-ish). It has an IP division so he'd be playing with other kids his age, and you don't have to be in minor-hockey to play. You don't get instruction in the 4-on-4 league, but it's fun and provides a lot of ice time to hone the skills.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
You heard wrong. Power skating is soo important, even the pros take it :yo:

Agreed, power skating makes such an impact. You'll be able to see the results immediately. My dad put me in power skating as a kid on Monday nights for a few years and while I am not a very good hockey player, I am a very good skater. Figure skating isn't a bad option either.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Agreed, power skating makes such an impact. You'll be able to see the results immediately. My dad put me in power skating as a kid on Monday nights for a few years and while I am not a very good hockey player, I am a very good skater. Figure skating isn't a bad option either.

Also, plus one for ice dancing.:sarcasm:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
In all seriousness though, I've got a one year old and I'd like some opinions too on what it would take to make him a perennial hart trophy winner. Serious question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad