International hockey rivalries

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Obviously Canada is the biggest rival for the US. I enjoy chasing them. But I really like how the Sweden/US thing seems to be simmering.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Obviously Canada is the biggest rival for the US. I enjoy chasing them. But I really like how the Sweden/US thing seems to be simmering.
Finland / U.S. is big, too - especially at the WJR's.

Not a popular opinion but : I miss Russia. The hockey world is NOT the same without them.

Finland Russia is underrated in terms of rivalries
True. Forgot about that.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Even as a Canadian, Miracle gives me chills.

Having said that, of all the big sports, Hockey translates the worst to the big screen.

Sports that are easier to duplicate on the big screen...

Basketball
Baseball
Soccer
Football
======
Hockey

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Bijelo

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Even as a Canadian, movies like Miracle gives me chills.

I think Hockey, of the big sports, translates the worst to the big screen.
I refuse to watch miracle at all for a few reasons but chiefly because why would I as a Canadian fan watch a movie that glorifies their biggest hockey moment? especially since we are such big hated rivals now. It is not as if a single American fan would ever want or care to watch a movie on say the summit Series so I see no reason at all for doing the reverse. To this day I regret having even watched that game live while their populace didn't.

So the movie, I just won't do it, there is not one single good reason to watch it for me. It would be like Treason for me

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I refuse to watch miracle at all for a few reasons but chiefly because why would I as a Canadian fan watch a movie that glorifies their biggest hockey moment?, it is not as if a single American fan would ever want or care to watch a movie on say the summit Series so I see no reason at all for doing the reverse. To this day I regret having even watched that game live while their populace didn't.

So the movie, I just won't do it, there is not one single good reason to watch it for me. It would be like Treason for me
You should give it a try, my friend, it's actually pretty good.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I'm not joking.

Slovakia was better in the past.

Slovakia did good games against Finland etc.

Slovakia had good players in NHL.

:)
Sorry Finland's classic rivals are Sweden and Russia, aren't they?

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I refuse to watch miracle at all for a few reasons but chiefly because why would I as a Canadian fan watch a movie that glorifies their biggest hockey moment? especially since we are such big hated rivals now. It is not as if a single American fan would ever want or care to watch a movie on say the summit Series so I see no reason at all for doing the reverse. To this day I regret having even watched that game live while their populace didn't.

You can certainly make your own choices about what to watch. I am the one single American who has watched the hourlong Summit Series documentary. So there’s that.

My guess is that if you watched Miracle, you’d find it feels contrived and propogandist. That’s how I felt during Summit Series.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You can certainly make your own choices about what to watch. I am the one single American who has watched the hourlong Summit Series documentary. So there’s that.

My guess is that if you watched Miracle, you’d find it feels contrived and propogandist. That’s how I felt during Summit Series.
You watched the Summit Series?

This should be your next step

We will make a Canadian hockey fan out of you yet Joe................we think youve got the right stuff.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Well that´s not true. We don´t hate them.

Hate is a strong word. I would say dislike and distrust, especially their leaders. But it’s pointless to go further in this rabbit hole.

That being said I was always the most invested in the games against Russia. Sweden close second then USA. Canada has always been too strong to be considered a rival to Finland.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
You watched the Summit Series?

This should be your next step

We will make a Canadian hockey fan out of you yet Joe................we think youve got the right stuff.

lol. I’m pretty comfy with red,white, and blue. I might watch the lafleur thing but I’m worried it will trigger “too many men on the ice”-related PTSD.

• Haha
Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad