International hockey rivalries

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017
Just curious which countries you really want to beat when it comes to international hockey, for me personally it's the following.

3. Canada, you just want to beat these hockey snobs to keep them quiet for a little, the fact that it feels like we have lost countless hockey finals against them in all age groups doesn't make it any better.

2. Finland, while I don't really have any hatred or ill thoughts at all against Finland, beating them always feel crucial as going out in a tournament always feels a little better if we atleast have done better than our sweet neighbour.

1. Russia, I don't know why, I always find these games very intense, and unlike any other country, when it comes to Russia it feels like history long ago comes up, they just feel like an historic rival for some reason which is rather silly from my part, but it still feels like they are Sweden's enemy when it comes to ice hockey and I want us to beat them badly. The fact that the games often have been dirty over the years on amplifies this for me.

• Wow
Reactions: Bijelo

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
For Canada:

1. USA/Russia (tie): one because of the shared border, the other because even when they “suck” they’re still good. Losing to any of these countries is a disappointment on an equal scale.

2. Sweden: the most “North American” in style to me, but more skill than other countries that are the same way (Germany, Latvia, Swiss)

3. Great Britain: not actually a thing, but it would be fantastic if it were. I could see them as having the most North American game out of all European countries if people there cared about the sport.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I really can't decide between USA and Russia. Whichever one Canada is playing at the time I guess. None of the other teams are really there.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
For Canada:
1. Russia
2. USA

Finns in recent years are moving up maybe put them in a distant 3rd.

Reactions: Mehar

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
For me as a German (not speaking for all Germans here :D )

3. Slovakia - I can remember so many close games, it just feels like an old rivalry even though there isn’t really one

2. Switzerland - Just feels good to show them who’s the number one in the German speaking realm. Also the games are often really heated, I feel that insults hit home even more when they’re in your mother tongue. (I’m aware that there are non-German speaking parts in Switzerland)

3. USA/Russia - Every once in a while we manage to upset one of these countries in the WC, always hyped

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
For Canada:

1) Russia

And then huge space.

There's no greater theatre in Hockey then the World's two coldest countries and forever rivals facing off.

I have friends across Russia and the friendship is nearing end during these games even after all these years :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: jj cale and snipes

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
No rivalry with Canadians. Sweden and Russia yes for shared border. Losing to them sucks still. I sense a rivalry with the Americans in juniors (U18 and U20)

Reactions: Lartsaman

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
USA and Russia is close but the Russia rivalry just seems more formal, historic and filled with gravitas and less of a more recent sibling type rivalry with the States.

I think if the Americans start to put some serious beat-downs of Canada in best-on-best situations, you could see that change. The 1996 World Cup was an achievement - that Canadian team was good. Just didn't seem to progress past that.

I'd probably put the Swedes third. We've faced them a lot in some big games and they've occasionally even been a little rough. A lot of my favourite players have been Swedes so I typically have a soft spot for them.

I respect the Finns a lot because of their single-minded obsession with hockey and their work ethic, so I'll put them fourth.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
No one has really been able to lead a beat down on Canada, for a long time. It's not quite the same as USA basketball where it's just flat out boring, or the top dogs in international Cricket or Rugby. We always complain about how limited international participation in ice hockey is, but there are some globally followed sports where the field is really narrow. Still, any of the top 5 teams will always present a threat in nearly any level of competition, but I think Canada is virtually always favored against them, so hard to establish a consistent rivalry when it's slightly one sided.

I would say Russia, then USA, then Finland as rivals for Canada. Russia for the decades of back and forth dominance between them and Canada in the sport, USA for being our regional neighbors and being good at nearly any sport they touch, and Finland for being always an unexpected upstart vs. Canada. Canada probably holds the record in head to head games by quite a bit, but we've lost a feel heartbreakers to them over the years.

Reactions: Statsy

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
For Canada, I would say it is a bit generational. Older folks might be more likely to say Russia (Summit Series, Canada Cups, growing up during the Cold War), whereas younger people (let’s say 40 and under) would probably more likely say USA (1996 World Cup, Olympics in 02 and 10, women’s hockey since the 90’s).

It also has to do with the progression of the American program. They haven’t been a real threat in international competition that long. So 40+ y/o Canadians didn’t grow up watching Canada vs USA in high profile matches.

I’d say it’s a 1A/1B situation. Historical rival is Russia, most recent/relevant rival is USA. IMO. There’s been some great WJC battles in recent times that sort of offset each other.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
As a Swiss:

Sweden: Two WHC finals lost to them, one in a shootout. I do like the Swedes a lot, but losing gold to them twice in five years was way too much.

Germany: Constant fight about which is the better nation. Switzerland was ahead for a while now, but right now that change. Which is actually good for the rivalry.

Canada: While impossible in junior games, on the senior level Switzerland always gave Canada a hard time during the last years and also won games from time to time.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
For Finland

1. Russia
2. Sweden

No others. Russia and Sweden are pretty close but I put Russia had due recent years.

Onehitwonder

Jan 7, 2014
For Finland its obviously Russia, and Sweden. Sweden rivalry is the more enjoyable for me. Some people go a bit too far on the Russian rivalry. War time rhetoric is often used. So it can get annoying.

I dont think there are more rivalries than those two. Czech used to be some sort of rivalry, but it was decades ago.

Reactions: Stife and Lartsaman

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
For Canada, I would say it is a bit generational. Older folks might be more likely to say Russia (Summit Series, Canada Cups, growing up during the Cold War), whereas younger people (let’s say 40 and under) would probably more likely say USA (1996 World Cup, Olympics in 02 and 10, women’s hockey since the 90’s).

It also has to do with the progression of the American program. They haven’t been a real threat in international competition that long. So 40+ y/o Canadians didn’t grow up watching Canada vs USA in high profile matches.

I’d say it’s a 1A/1B situation. Historical rival is Russia, most recent/relevant rival is USA. IMO. There’s been some great WJC battles in recent times that sort of offset each other.

I don't know that I would consider Russia a "historic" rival. Reason being, that was the Soviet Union in those games. You had players from the Ukraine, Belarus, Latvia and the other republics on those teams that nowadays would not suit up for Russia. It may seem insignificant as it may be one or two players from each, but that is depth that wouldn't be there.

Think about Alberta breaking away, or if Canada was broken up into BC, Prairies, Ontario, Quebec, Maritimes. For argument's sake let's say Ontario was to remain "Canada" to parallel the USSR/Russia evolution. Is "Canada" the same lock it is now?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
For Russia it’s only Canada. The rest are certainly good opponents but the intensity never reaches the same levels

Best rivalry in international hockey bar none is Canada v Russia.

A large part of it is the historical factor as the only two hockey Super Powers, but I think the main reason is the hockey is damn good and exciting.

Our styles of play, Canada being the extremely aggressive straight ahead style and Russia/Soviets being really strong puck possession and counter attack type of team makes for such good end to end hockey.

Styles make fights in boxing and I think to an extent it’s also true in hockey as well. Not to mention the intensity of the games between Canada and Russia are always top notch.

For those who haven’t seen it this is always worth a watch:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I have Sweden as our Top rival. If we beat them we celebrate, if we loose its heartbreaking. We were the underdog for a long time in this rivalrry, but nowadays we actually win quite evenly.
Russia is the other. I thnk we actually have more hatred against Russia, but want to win Sweden more badly. If were out I actually can root for Sweden - I never root for Russia.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
For me as a German (not speaking for all Germans here :D )

3. Slovakia - I can remember so many close games, it just feels like an old rivalry even though there isn’t really one

2. Switzerland - Just feels good to show them who’s the number one in the German speaking realm. Also the games are often really heated, I feel that insults hit home even more when they’re in your mother tongue. (I’m aware that there are non-German speaking parts in Switzerland)

3. USA/Russia - Every once in a while we manage to upset one of these countries in the WC, always hyped

Interesting list. Mine is maybe a little dated:

1. Switzerland - Many close and really intense games with many dirty plays on both sides. I don't enjoy the dirty plays, but they show just how serious the players on both teams take this.

2. Austria - Used to be closer, but it is still a rivalry with a bit of nostalgia for me. I really hope Austria can improve again, because it is fun in any sport when our athletes go at it against each other.

3. Latvia - This may be an odd one, but the games are to this day usually really close and their fans are always so much fun at the World Championships, so there is always a great atmosphere when we play against Latvia.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Man I haven't even finished reading posts and can tell Russia is the common answer here for a 1st place. Damn everyone wants to beat us:laugh:

One thing I noticed over the years and that's especially related to the tournaments across the ocean: whoever Russia plays in big games be it Finland or Sweden or Czechia or anybody else the crowd always cheers for a Russian opponent. Kinda funny.

Reactions: hockins

Lartsaman

Aug 2, 2018
Finland
I say this as a finnish supporter. Russia and Sweden are of course the biggest rivals. Traditionally it has been Sweden and it still is, but I think that many finnish people consider Russia as a main rival right now. It has to do something with WCH 2014 final held in Minsk. ;)

I personally would love to see a Finland vs. Czechs final sometime in the future at mens tournament. And of course Finland taking revenge at last. I still remember those two finals back in 1999 and 2001. It still hurts. We havent had a chance for rematch....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad