Interesting Stat for Home Losses

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
We all know the Sharks are 12-15-3 at home right now, but an interesting fact is their home record after returning from a road trip is downright horrible. Sharks are:

• 3-2 after returning from a 1 game road trip
  • 1-3 after returning from a 2 game road trip
  • 0-4-1 after returning from road trips with 3 or more games

This is overall record of 4-9-1 after returning home from all road trips so far. Since the playoff format has back and forth for the last three games, this is not a great record to have.

It will be interesting to see what people believe causes this, but a horrible losing record after returning back home is more on the coaches in preparing the team, imo.

Bottom line: don't bet on the Sharks if it's the first game after a road trip unless it's a one game road trip.

Last edited:

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Since Jan 9th shortly after we got Couture back.

1 SOW - 3 games 4 nights - 2 game road trip (Oilers / Jets)
1 ROW - 2 games 3 nights - 1 game road trip (Yotes)
1 SOL - 2 games 3 nights - 4 game road trip (East)
1 LOSS - 2 games 3 nights - 5 game roaad trip (East)
1 ROW - 2 games 3 nights - 1 game road trip (Canucks)
1 LOSS - 2 games 3 nights - 1 game road trip (Canucks)
1 LOSS - 3 games 4 nights - 2 game road trip (Flames / Oilers)

3 Wins / 4 Losses

So, 13 out of the last 19 games on the road during which our 3 Regulation losses were. We had 2 losses after 4 and 5 game east coast road trips and 1 loss after 3 games in 4 nights.

Yeah, not worried about it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
As disappointing as last night's game was, they're still winning more games than they're losing. I think practice and rest will go a long way down the stretch with their home heavy schedule.

bbison

Oct 16, 2004
San Jose
We all know the Sharks are 12-15-3 at home right now, but an interesting fact is their home record after returning from a road trip is downright horrible. Sharks are:

Bottom line: don't bet on the Sharks if it's the first game after a road trip unless it's a one game road trip.

Money line against might be the safest bet in sports

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Since Jan 9th shortly after we got Couture back.

1 SOW - 3 games 4 nights - 2 game road trip (Oilers / Jets)
1 ROW - 2 games 3 nights - 1 game road trip (Yotes)
1 SOL - 2 games 3 nights - 4 game road trip (East)
1 LOSS - 2 games 3 nights - 5 game roaad trip (East)
1 ROW - 2 games 3 nights - 1 game road trip (Canucks)
1 LOSS - 2 games 3 nights - 1 game road trip (Canucks)
1 LOSS - 3 games 4 nights - 2 game road trip (Flames / Oilers)

3 Wins / 4 Losses

So, 13 out of the last 19 games on the road during which our 3 Regulation losses were. We had 2 losses after 4 and 5 game east coast road trips and 1 loss after 3 games in 4 nights.

Yeah, not worried about it.

LOL, you need to get out of your mom's basement, and get some season tickets. You'll see what the rest of us STH see, which is not really much of a playoff caliber team when at the tank. Couture is not the magic player you think he is.

That's because you're not watching Thornton. If you had you'd realize Jumbo has been on a tear since that 12/22 game in LA. Couture had an good last month, but March is not shaping up to match last month.

Take the home record after returning from a road trip, and compare to the likely playoff teams the Sharks will face. If you did, you would be more concerned:

Kings:
  • 7-5-0 overall from returning on the road
  • 4-2-0 returning from 1 game road trip
  • 0-2-0 returning from a 2 game road trip
  • 3-1-0 returning from a 3 or more game road trip

Ducks:
  • 7-0-4 overall from returning on the road
  • 1-0-3 returning from a 1 game road trip
  • 0-0-1 returning from a 2 game road trip
  • 5-0-0 returning from a 3 or more game road trip

The Ducks have never failed to obtain a point from any home game after returning from a road trip, and this includes the first semester of the season when the Ducks were largely not playing well. Crisply points out Sharks' problem with getting mentally prepared for a game at home after returning. The Sharks must absolutely shake off this problem 100% if they want to have decent success in the playoffs.

Now you know one of the reasons why I mentioned last week that I'd rather see the Sharks face the Kings in the first round.

Diehardsharks408

Mar 20, 2014
San Jose, CA
LOL, you need to get out of your mom's basement, and get some season tickets. You'll see what the rest of us STH see, which is not really much of a playoff caliber team when at the tank. Couture is not the magic player you think he is.

You don't need to be a STH to have an opinion on this subject. If anything you can better judge how your team has played on tv(i.e. Replays, better angels) rather than at a game unless you have premium seats.
Having said that, I don't like the fact that the sharks seem to struggle their first game back after a long road trip but to suggest that trend will continue into the playoffs is a stretch at best. There's too many examples of a team doing one thing in the regular season and then something completely different in the playoffs, and as a sharks fan you should know this.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley

Personal insults, nice.............

FTR I've been a STH since 2000.

I used Couture coming back as the time the team turned it around for several reasons.

Not in any order of importance:

1) Couture Back

2) Overall healthy team: Prior to that we had injuries to Martin, Zubrus, Vlasic, Braun, Donskoi, Hertl, Melker and Ward.

3) Team getting comfortable with new coaches system

4) JT has obviously been outstanding since recovering from whatever issue he was having.

On January 9th we were playing .500% hockey. We are now at .596% and since Jan 9th we've been playing at a .733% rate. Since then we've lost 4 of 7 returning home and the PO's are a completely different animal considering both teams have the same schedule. Your analysis that our returning home record is any indication of what will happen in the PO's is way off the mark. The far more daunting problem is that the Ducks, Kings and Hawks may just be a better team than the Sharks at home or away. And getting past all three looks like an impossible task.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Odds are the Sharks wouldn't beat all three of those teams, or maybe any, but they've put themselves in a position to at least have a fighting chance of beating any of them.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't know why anyone honestly thinks that this actually matters come playoff time. It doesn't at all.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009

• 3-2 after returning from a 1 game road trip
  • 1-3 after returning from a 2 game road trip

This is overall record of 4-9-1 after returning home from all road trips so far. Since the playoff format has back and forth for the last three games, this is not a great record to have.

It will be interesting to see what people believe causes this, but a horrible losing record after returning back home is more on the coaches in preparing the team, imo.

Curious to know who many of these games involved a team that was in San Jose or California before the Sharks?

Example - New Jersey game, Shark played Edmonton on the 8th at which time I believe the Devils were already in San Jose. This lead to a NJ practice on the 9th compared to a needed day off for the SJS.

These sorts of differences disappear during the playoffs.

jwhitesj

Oct 9, 2006
Downtown San Jose
I don't know why so many of you are still down on the Sharks chances. They are equally capable of any team in the league in going to the finals. Maybe you guys think that by keeping your expectations low you won't be dissapointed. Truth is, they are as likely to win as any of the top teams. I would't say they are more likely, and if they loose in the first round it's not because they wern't good enough. It's just that when you have equally matched teams, one of them has to loose. The team that makes it out of the west is going to have to win a coin flip 3 straight times. I hope it's the Sharks, but even if they are out of it after round one, as long as they keep playing the way they have been for the last few months, they have nothing to be ashamed of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad