Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
FWIW, Portzline was asked on his podcast if people around the league think there will be a new coach here next year with a new GM coming in

Portzline responded by saying he thinks personally it’s 50/50 but people around the league think that there will be a new coach.
On one hand you have PV taking the slow, proper way to bring guys along, results(W/L) be damned, the kids are going to learn to play the right way as it's hopefully worth it in the long run.

On the other hand, he wasn't the first choice to begin with and we've now had back to back bottom 5 finishes with small signs of improvement.

I think it's only natural for a new GM to come in and want to put his leader in the locker room. A new GM will be limited by the market in his ability to make trades and get his guys in the off-season. However, putting a new coach in place is a relatively simple move that can have major consequences, for better or worse.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Did he bring kids along slow and proper or exasperate the hell out of most of them?

I dont even think I can give an answer but there are a few Russians who might...

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
On one hand you have PV taking the slow, proper way to bring guys along, results(W/L) be damned, the kids are going to learn to play the right way as it's hopefully worth it in the long run.

On the other hand, he wasn't the first choice to begin with and we've now had back to back bottom 5 finishes with small signs of improvement.

I think it's only natural for a new GM to come in and want to put his leader in the locker room. A new GM will be limited by the market in his ability to make trades and get his guys in the off-season. However, putting a new coach in place is a relatively simple move that can have major consequences, for better or worse.
It's hard to imagine us finishing with a worse record. (Oh dear gawd, please don't let this post be used against me a year from now!)

• Haha
Reactions: CBJx614

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know injuries played a part but that seems a bit ridiculous. I would think it made developing any kind of chemistry very difficult if not impossible.

And we have folks clamoring for Boone to be taken off Johnny's line, that wanted Johnny to be tried more with the younger centers. It seems to me that Vincent did what he could to provide stability for Johnny at center.

On the RW, there is only one guy that was healthy enough to be a mainstay for Johnny, and that's Kirill Marchenko. I don't know why Vincent split them up, the Gaudreau - Jenner - Marchenko trio outscored opponents 8-2 this year in 136 minutes.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What are the numbers for Tex-Sillinger-Marchenko? That was my favorite line for a couple of games that I watched recently. (I haven’t really watched the road trip.)

Not great.

Moneypuck lines is very easy to use by the way, though you can't link the search parameters or results.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Moneypuck lines is very easy to use by the way, though you can't link the search parameters or results.

That is pretty cool. Thanks.

I went through ever team and sorted their lines by number of games together? Guess which team had the fewest number of games that their line that they played together in the most games play?

1713123625653.png

Pittsburgh was #2 with 34 games - and that is probably a result of them trading Guentzel.

1713123814662.png

Reactions: majormajor

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Absent context It’s hard to know how “egregious” this is.
Porty has said these different line counts do not include combos that occur after a forward is injured and leaves the game, thus creating varying 11 player rotations. Rather it’s a mix of coaching decisions and player availability at the start of games (e.g guys missing that night because of injury/illness/etc).

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Boll starts at 1 hr 27 minutes. It’s older but still “interesting”.

Best hockey podcast around, IMO.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Like many others here, I want to wish Porty the best in his life saving surgery today. His commitment to Jackets reporting for us fans is clearly seen by scheduling his thrice weekly dialysis at 5:00AM so he could attend morning skates - a less than ideal start to a day for an unpleasant, though necessary, treatment.

Certainly Lindy Noel deserves special mention and admiration for volunteering her kidney to Porty. Here’s looking forward to his full recovery, his return to covering the CBJ and most importantly a full return to good health.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Like many others here, I want to wish Porty the best in his life saving surgery today. His commitment to Jackets reporting for us fans is clearly seen by scheduling his thrice weekly dialysis at 5:00AM so he could attend morning skates - a less than ideal start to a day for an unpleasant, though necessary, treatment.

Certainly Lindy Noel deserves special mention and admiration for volunteering her kidney to Porty. Here’s looking forward to his full recovery, his return to covering the CBJ and most importantly a full return to good health.
Here's more on the story.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Idiot

Anyway..
Are the OSU stadium updates being done before March, or are the “bad pipes” or whatever still in use?
maybe a bit of both? It's my understanding March 1 was the date chosen because its starting to come out of the colder months of January and February with less chance of freezing over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad