WGR: Interesting comment from Murray on Reinhart

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Murray was on WGR just now with Schopp/Bulldog.

When the topic was the progress of Eichel and Reinhart. Murray said Sam hasn't gotten the match ups they had envisioned for him. Felt he was going to be the 3rd line center (behind ROR and Eichel) and getting easier matchups. But he's happy with his progress.

Thought that was an interesting statement. Reminds me of the initial lineup Disco came into camp with. It jived very much with Murray's thoughts over the summer on who would play where. Wonder why things changed.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'd love to see him moved into 3rd line center if he's ready, but I love him with Eichel as well, so... :shrug:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don't have a problem with them not starting him out there. But yeah I'd certainly think it would be OK to give him a look now.

I think Murray wants his Cs playing C so he can get a look at what kind of players to fill their wings with going forward. That's how I'd build a team. The hardest part is getting very good to great centers. Picking up complimentary wingers would be kind of the fun part. Build from the center out.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I'm guessing it's because Samson is the heat, and nobody else (besides RoR and Eichel) can score.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'd love to see him moved into 3rd line center if he's ready, but I love him with Eichel as well, so... :shrug:

I'm not really commenting on where he is now. I just find it interesting how often Murray makes comments that seem to be an indication of having a slightly different vision of how things should go than the coach does. As another example, he basically said he doesn't agree with Pysyk sitting.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm not really commenting on where he is now. I just find it interesting how often Murray makes comments that seem to be an indication of having a slightly different vision of how things should go than the coach does. As another example, he basically said he doesn't agree with Pysyk sitting.

The trend seems to be:

1) The fans wonder why Bylsma is doing something

2) The fans get annoyed because this something isn't working and has no dicenable logic behind it

3) In interview with Murray confirms that his thinking is in line with what the fans have been saying

4) TBN asks Dan about it and he has a dumb answer

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
You can't fire a coach for doing a bad job if you do half of it for him.

First of all...of course you can. That's actually how the world works. You think no one has been fired because their bosses ****ed up?

Secondly..huh?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
First of all...of course you can. That's actually how the world works. You think no one has been fired because their bosses ****ed up?

Secondly..huh?

I realize that was worded poorly. I don't believe GMTM interferes with coaching duties, because he wants to be able to evaluate the coach's job independent of his own. I think it's encouraging that he doesn't interfere, even when he disagrees. It's a good model.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I realize that was worded poorly. I don't believe GMTM interferes with coaching duties, because he wants to be able to evaluate the coach's job independent of his own. I think it's encouraging that he doesn't interfere, even when he disagrees. It's a good model.

I agree. Though he does make LOTS of suggestions in their frequent meetings :laugh:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Bylsma may have had that same vision with Reinhart to start with. In this case I don't think Bylsma should be faulted or seen as necessarily having a different vision. Moving Reinhart to wing and up the line-up was nearly a necessity based on how well he's played and the issues the team's had. Murray might agree even if it's not what he originally envisioned for this season.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Bylsma may have had that same vision with Reinhart to start with. In this case I don't think Bylsma should be faulted or seen as necessarily having a different vision. Moving Reinhart to wing and up the line-up was nearly a necessity based on how well he's played and the issues the team's had. Murray might agree even if it's not what he originally envisioned for this season.

Again this happened before the season started.

I'm not attacking Disco. I'm wondering why he came into the season with him as a bottom 6 winger instead of the 3rd line center.

I think maybe it was due to not having enough faith in Reinhart being able to handle the type of usage Disco had in mind for his 3rd line centers. Only Girgs and Larsson have been used there. ( one disastrous exception being Schaller's game there) Even Larsson took a good amount of time to earn the coach's trust and get a shot there.

But it had nothing to do with vet wingers sucking or trying to bolster the the top 6 wings. I mean he was a 4th line winger for a good chunk of the first 5 or so games. How is that bolstering anything?

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
tbh, I like keeping him on the wing for now. This team doesn't have enough quality wingers for ROR and Eichel as is, let alone for ROR, Eichel, Reinhart.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
tbh, I like keeping him on the wing for now. This team doesn't have enough quality wingers for ROR and Eichel as is, let alone for ROR, Eichel, Reinhart.

Thats not even the point.

I'm wondering why there was a change in approach by Disco before the season started. Its not an attack on Disco nor a call for Reinhart to get moved right now. I'm truly curious what made him change his mind/approach. I gave my thoughts in the post before yours............

I think maybe it was due to not having enough faith in Reinhart being able to handle the type of usage Disco had in mind for his 3rd line centers. Only Girgs and Larsson have been used there. ( one disastrous exception being Schaller's game there) Even Larsson took a good amount of time to earn the coach's trust and get a shot there........

I'm also interested in the slightly different take Murray has on how things should be vs Disco's implementation. It may be as much about Murray's personality than anything else. He can't help expressing his thoughts without couching them in spin.

Last edited:

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Could the decision to move him up have more to do with Legwand, Girgensons and Shaller? Maybe they didnt expect Girgs to be as defensively responsible and thus slated him at wing? I don't know, Im just speculating to be honest.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Thats not even the point.

I'm wondering why there was a change in approach by Disco before the season started. Its not an attack on Disco nor a call for Reinhart to get moved right now. I'm truly curious what made him change his mind/approach. I gave my thoughts in the post before yours............

I think maybe it was due to not having enough faith in Reinhart being able to handle the type of usage Disco had in mind for his 3rd line centers. Only Girgs and Larsson have been used there. ( one disastrous exception being Schaller's game there) Even Larsson took a good amount of time to earn the coach's trust and get a shot there........

I'm also interested in the slightly different take Murray has on how things should be vs Disco's implementation. It may be as much about Murray's personality than anything else. He can't help expressing his thoughts without couching them in spin.

Who knows? I'd guess Bylsma either decided he'd rather leave that center role to a player with some experience (predominantly Girgs, sometimes Larsson) or simply started to think that role would've been too much responsibility for Reinhart right off the bat. Whatever his reasons were, I'm happy with Reinhart at wing for now, and probably wouldn't mind seeing him stay there in the future. Granted he and ROR could switch, but they might not really need to.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I really didn't hear it that way. My take was that Murray anticipated he'd have easier match-ups as the 3rd line center, but it didn't work out that way because we had to put him somewhere else.

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland
McGinn-OReilly-Ennis
Gus-Eichel-Foligno/Larsson
Kane-Rein-Larsson/Foligno
Gio-Leggy-Moulson

^^? Wouldn't mind trying to jump start Foligno and get him around some guys that fly and play all out. Kid can play when he wants to. Time for him to step it up. He can be that big body and bring more pressure on the second line. Not opposed to giving Larsson time in the top 6. He has the skill set and showed tons of promise last year. He has played well when asked to pull top 6 duty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad