Interesting coincidences in hockey history

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
December 2nd, 1995 - The Detroit Red Wings defeat the Montreal Canadiens 11-1, in what would be Patrick Roy’s final game as a Hab.

December 2nd, 2017 - The Montreal Canadiens defeat the Detroit Red Wings 10-1.

Nearly identical blowout scores in Montreal, exactly 22 years apart. Fun coincidence and a little bit of “revenge” for the Habs many years later.

So tonight’s game gave me the idea for this thread. What other neat little coincidences can you think of from hockey’s history?

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I was at my aunt's house when that 11-1 game happened. It was also on a Saturday. I remember the score was close and then it felt like not too long afterward DET was winning 7-1 or something like that. Fedorov's line put on a show that night.

Another coincidence that comes to mind is when Sullivan was cut after being clipped with a high stick and a fan taunted him and then that same fan was hit by puck and Sullivan went over and talked to him...

Last edited:

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON
4543091455_a5494ba748.jpg
The night that this goal was scored, the Rochester Royals (now known as the Sacramento Kings) won their first (and still their only) their only NBA championship.
royals1.jpg

Reactions: Killion

Doctor Coffin

This may hurt a bit...
May 23, 2013
This is relatively minor, but remarkably coincidental nonetheless. On December 26, 1988, Rick Vaive and Adam Creighton were traded for one another. In their first games with their new teams on December 28, they each scored game-winning goals; Vaive for Buffalo in the Sabres' 4-1 win over Detroit and Creighton for Chicago in the Blackhawks' 4-3 win over Minnesota.

Doctor Coffin

This may hurt a bit...
May 23, 2013
Early in the 1951-52 season, future HOFer Roy Conacher retired as a player from the Chicago Blackhawks. Not long after, his nephew Pete Conacher was called up for a few games with Chicago, and was given his uncle's number 9.That it happened in the same season is probably a unique situation/coincidence, too.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
What does Barilko have to do do with that team, though?

:laugh: ICM just skated off-side a bit, yes indeedy. Habsfan18 stated clearly "coincidences in hockey".... not "it happened on this date" with a non hockey pairing, coincidence from the wide-world of sports, popular culture or whatever..... I'll let that one slide though.... so back on topic. Must be a "hockey coincidence" and do you want it kept exclusively to NHL or is Junior, International etc also ok?

Reactions: ICM1970

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
:laugh: ICM just skated off-side a bit, yes indeedy. Habsfan18 stated clearly "coincidences in hockey".... not "it happened on this date" with a non hockey pairing, coincidence from the wide-world of sports, popular culture or whatever..... I'll let that one slide though.... so back on topic. Must be a "hockey coincidence" and do you want it kept exclusively to NHL or is Junior, International etc also ok?

Junior, international etc.. works for me too!

ICM1970

Jan 29, 2012
Ottawa, ON

Hi, it's just that the Leafs would not win another Cup until shortly before Barilko's remains were discovered in the summer of 1962 and that the Royals/Kings franchise was playing that same night across Lake Ontario at the War Memorial Auditorium in Rochester, NY. So I found it interesting with these two teams in terms of relative proximity (geographically) and the championship droughts from that night onward. Anyway, will stick to hockey exclusively going forward.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Anyway, will stick to hockey exclusively going forward.

Ya, interesting, didnt know that. I think we do have a thread here somewhere that has its premise "It Happened this Day in History" type dealeo whereby we were comparing an event in the history of the game with a major (or minor) event in history be if from the world of politics, entertainment or whatever....... But here? Strictly hockey, an op amenable to any & all levels, cross-overs included. ;)

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I noticed at as well. Kind of neat that it would be on the same day and an almost identical score. Speaking of that isn't it a coincidence that Roy got traded to the former Quebec franchise the season after they moved? Can't see Montreal trading Roy to Quebec.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
1994 Canucks and 2011 Canucks. Both teams went to the finals

Both time first round went to game 7 ot. Conference final both time went to game 5 double ot. Of course both times Canucks didn't win game 7 in the finals.

Also both years there 4th line didn't score a single goal in the playoffs.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I always found it quite improbable that from 1979-2009, 30 played seasons, the Flyers and Bruins never met in the playoffs. They were always on the same side of the playoff bracket, and both franchises were generally successful with few missed playoffs. They had 15 semi-final appearances between them, yet always managed to avoid actually facing each other.

Reactions: MS

Doctor Coffin

This may hurt a bit...
May 23, 2013
Another random coincidence is the fact that Jon Casey recorded shutouts in both his last regular season and playoff games in Chicago Stadium, shutting out the Blackhawks as a member of the Bruins in February, 1994, and as a member of the North Stars in game 5 of the 1991 first round series.

Reactions: MS

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
As this topic emerge again and again, i always write one fact.

Carolina Hurricanes playoff performance: 5 times in playoffs, 3 times in Conference finals, 2 times in Stanley Cup finals and 1 time Cup winners.

:thumbu:

Super Fadio Bro

MAMA MIA!!!
Jan 12, 2009
Somewhere
Every times Nick Lidstrom scored from the center ice (1st round of the playoffs; on the road), the Red Wings went on to win the Cup.

Every times the Wings eliminated the Avs in the playoffs, they went on to win the cup.

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Slava Fetisov jumping through hoops to get his release from Soviet hockey and get away from people like ex-BFF-turned-snitch Alexei Kasatonov...then Kasatonov shows up in New Jersey as his defence partner a couple of months later.

Fetisov: "I don't happy."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad