Interesting article on IIHF on Ovechkin/rookie eligibility

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
66-87-29 said:
Pens finished second to last place.

Last in the division, last in the conference is what I meant.

Regardless, it's semantics. We sucked bad is my point.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
chiefmonarch said:
Under both those circumstances Ovechkin would still win. Both players had great seasons, Ovechkin slightly better reguardless of age

I thought the Calder was for the NHL's best rookie, not the best rookie in his 1st year playing pros. If Ovechkin doesnt deserve to be ROY in some eyes, the same can be said for Malkin, the early favorite for his 1st year in the NHL ROY.

The first suggestion was for their age. Sid would win that one hands down.

BIGTRAIN*

Jason MacIsaac said:
You are officially in the top 5 percentile for worst posters on these boards.

Well I have a way to go to reach you as the worst poster on these boards.Now answer the question if you can.WAITING FOR YOUR INSIGHTFUL REASON FOR YOU GROSS STATEMENT THAT MALKIN IS BETTER THAN OVECHKIN.

We are all waiting so please continue you comedy session .

gamera

Jan 3, 2006
Kovalchuk Army HQ
Spongebob said:
I believe it is 18 for both leagues.

Why is that?

I know Wayne Gretzky started his pro career in the WHA at the ripe old age of 17.
well, i know if 16 year olds started going pro, there would be similar criticism like is done of the NBA for scouting high schools...

i guess my point is that, in Europe, young players (16) are allowed to turn pro and here, they are not. so there is no way a 16 year old could ever get experience against men, whether or not he is good enough

the rules are just not the same worldwide, so we either live with that (and have "pros" like Ovechkin win the rookie award; and yes, he deserves it!) or more clearly define exactly what a ROOKIE is

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
SUPERFAN-1 said:
Well I have a way to go to reach you as the worst poster on these boards.Now answer the question if you can.WAITING FOR YOUR INSIGHTFUL REASON FOR YOU GROSS STATEMENT THAT MALKIN IS BETTER THAN OVECHKIN.

We are all waiting so please continue you comedy session .

Actually everybody is laughing at you and your ridiculous posts buddy. Atleast he can back up his argument. All you say is Ovechkin is god, he's the best player in the NHL, you wouldn't take Crosby, Malkin and the #2 overall pick for him, and everybody is Ovechkin haters. Real good evidence to back up a real good argument there.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Beauty said:
Pathetic article.

Well, if you are a staunch supporter of Ovechkin and have a hate on for Crosby, yeah, it's pathetic.

I enjoyed reading the article, not because it supports a view that I have. I think Ovechkin should and will win the Calder.

The true value in the article, from my standpoint, is lost because the author tries to make the argument that Ovechkin, at age 20, should not be eligible for the rookie of the year. I disagree.

I didn't like Makarov winning it, but I think the rule the NHL has in place right now is just fine.

What I take out of this article, though, is that it debunks the theory of some of the people who say that because Ovechkin had a better season this year that he's a better player.

Ovechkin is an awesome talent, but he's further developed at 20 having played professionally in Russia than Crosby is at 18. I don't think anyone in their right mind would argue this. (Please don't prove me wrong anybody)

The difference between development at 18 and 20 can be huge. Crosby will get better and his developmental curve will be steeper than Ovechkin's, IMO. Ovechkin will score a ton of beautiful goals and get lots of points in his career, but Crosby will score more points.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
this is just ridiculous......the current age limit is just fine. Who cares if a Euro league selected Thornton as RotY during the lockout.....how that applies to the NHL I just dont understand

many reason have been given why the proposed change would be nothing short of stupid.....and I'll add another

Say Malkin comes over and has a monster season next year...on par with SC/AO this season......but unlike this season there arent 3 or 4 other guys who a case could be made for. Lets say the next best rookie had a good season (for a rookie).....if its a forward lets just say he has 50 or so points (where Malkin is close or at 100). This other rookie comes straight from juniors.....so I suppose he gets the Calder then eh?

also...not that I would expect Fehr to win a Calder.....but he would not even be eligible

not sure the point of this article.....

charlio lemieux*

Calder Trophy Winner 1990 Sergei Makarov Calgary Flames

In 1989, Makarov was allowed by the Soviet Union to join the National Hockey League and the Calgary Flames. He won the Calder Memorial Trophy as rookie of the year at the age of 31 (as a result, the rules were changed and now only players under 27 qualify for the award - the Makarov Rule).
source

If the League wanted to address European professional Hockey it should have done it when they put an age limit on calder candidates. Gretzky got screwed by playing in the WHA. But that is a different thread.

Regardless of Ovechkin winning the Calder, what Crosby has done as an 18yr old is beyond impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad