Interest in Tavares?

So when/if the Leafs blow it up, should Stevie be in on Tavares?

Adam Wylde brought this up on the latest sdpn. Tavares owed approx 1mil in salary next yr and is a free agent in 2025. Of course retention is necessary with that ugly cap hit. But I think this could be a decent filler, if he got down to 6-7mil. One reason I'm bringing this up is because (did not notice this during the season) Compher was absolutely horrendous in the circle, something like 45%. Tavares remedies that, is better offensively and is still decent in his own end. Plus, he would not be far away from his family in TOR. Would love Danielson to be NHL ready next season, but I think he should add some lbs before coming up. And I doubt he is gonna be here at the start of next season anyway

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I don't see why Tavares would agree to waive his NTC to come here but if he did... if it's cheap and with retention sure. I don't see Toronto and Detroit as good trade partners though. They would need to take back Holl and Husso or something silly like that for it make any sense for the Wings.

Reactions: jkutswings

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
Rather get Marner, since everyone seems to want to run him out of town aswell.
Much Better skater, younger legs and more creativity then Tavares. Similiar contracts.

Possible Kane replacement.

Reactions: Realgud

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Toronto isn't trading at all with the Wings, they're divisional rivals competing for a playoff spot. This is starting to get worse than "Zadina, Hronek, and 2nd for Tkachuk".

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
If the trade is we get Tavares at 50% retention, we get the Leafs 1st and they take back some package including some if not all of Holl, Husso, Fabbri, Copp and/or Maatta, then yes, let's do it.

That scenario seems extremely unlikely, so I say no. Only way we should help the Leafs is by them paying thru the nose. And really pay thru the nose.

topdawg

Jan 17, 2016
1 year for a 60-70 point 2nd line centre(just what we need). Wont have to give up anything of value because they need to free up cap space. If they retain on it, i do this all day everyday

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Ok folks

JT at 5 to 6m for 1 year would be great...he wouldn't be our captain and would actually help us make the playoffs...

The problem is not us..it's Toronto...if they move him it's to free up cap...so retention or a # of cap dumps defeats the purpose...besides which, next summer he will resign in Toronto for 3years @ 4m to 5m and be a great 2nd line centermen with the captaincy on Mathews shoulders..

Toronto instead will move Marner, my prediction is Anaheim (who wouldn't wave for Southern California) as it would never come to bite Toronto in the a.. and will do so with no retention for Anaheims second 1st rd pick and something else(Hiller?)

But yeah JT for 1 year @ 6m sure just sent gonna happen

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I'd rather see Kyle Quincey come back to Detroit, make the team, and play as a forward than take Tavares. We're trying to come out of a rebuild, not prolong it.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I feel like he's going to stay in Toronto until he wins a Cup or retires, and he'll probably work for peanuts to do it because of all the guilt about how this contract has worked out.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I feel like he's going to stay in Toronto until he wins a Cup or retires, and he'll probably work for peanuts to do it because of all the guilt about how this contract has worked out.

wonder where he'll rank among great players without a cup then.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think Tavares staying in Toronto is a foregone conclusion. It hasn't worked out there. At all. And I'm not sure how much he'll want to take a pay cut to stay there considering I don't think the odds look incredibly favorable the Leafs figure it out in the next five years.

As for trading for him, we could do it without retention and that might be preferable. We can then spin guys like Fabbri, Maata, etc. out in seperate deals while keeping the cost to get Tavares as low as possible because we're absorbing all of the salary. All of that said I would be gobsmacked if we actually dealt for the guy and I'm not sure I like the move or not.

Reactions: 14ari13 and Sparty

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I'd rather see Kyle Quincey come back to Detroit, make the team, and play as a forward than take Tavares. We're trying to come out of a rebuild, not prolong it.
Tavares would hurt the rebuild with one year remaining on his deal? How?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad