Injury Report: Injury Talk 7.0: Price (knee/groin), Patches (shoulder), Pleks (groin), Prust (rib)

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Latest Updates:
Plekanec - groin - day-to-day
Pacioretty - separated shoulder - day-to-day
Price - right knee & groin - should take 5-10 days to heal per Lavoie
White - upper body - day-to-day
Prust - upper body - day-to-day
Gionta - bicep surgery - out for rest of the year
Eller - concussion - skated with a cage with Pierre Allard Thursday morning
Emelin - knee - IR - torn ligament, out for the season

Plekanec:
Plekanec admitted to playing with a groin injury for the last month.

Pacioretty:
Patches had a separated shoulder apparently.

Price:
Lavoie said that Price has a knee injury (right) and groin injury. No surgery required. Should take 5-10 days to recover. (May 10)

Prust:
Posted in the PGT but I'll post it here too, from Stubbs twitter

Believing as of now that it's unlikely either Price or Prust will be available to #Habs for Game 5. Update probably coming tomorrow

White:
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 1m
Upper body injury for Ryan White. #canadiens #RDS

Gionta:
Cassie Campbell ‏@CassieCampbell 41s Gionta will undergo bicep surgery on Friday and obviously done for the season @hockeynight This was initially reported by @KevinWeekes

Eller:
Marc Antoine Godin ‏@MAGodin 5m
Lars Eller est de retour sur la patinoire ce matin avec Pierre Allard. Il porte une grille. Belle aisance sur ses patins.

Lars Eller is back on the ice this morning with Pierre Allard. He wears a cage. Beautiful ease on his skates.

Emelin:
TSN said:
Montreal Canadiens defenceman Alexei Emelin's season is over.

The club announced Monday that the 26-year-old suffered a torn ligament in his left knee and will not be able to finish the season.

Last edited:

idk

Jan 11, 2012
Not sure you understand what the word 'depth' means...

Whatever it means it doesn't mean having to replace a guy who puts up .317 GPG and .640 PPG with one of three guys whose stats are .093 GPG & .240 PPG (Prust), .042 GPG & .084 PPG (Blunden) and .000 GPG & .182 PPG (Dumont). Hell - you put the three of them together and they still don't have Michael's offensive numbers.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Whatever it means it doesn't mean having to replace a guy who puts up .317 GPG and .640 PPG with one of three guys whose stats are .093 GPG & .240 PPG (Prust), .042 GPG & .084 PPG (Blunden) and .000 GPG & .182 PPG (Dumont). Hell - you put the three of them together and they still don't have Michael's offensive numbers.

So you're suggesting that MB should just have a guy who has the production of Michael Ryder just sitting in the pressbox waiting to go in case Ryder gets injured??

What team has a 30 goal/60 point forward just sitting in the press box ready to go? lol

You're making no sense...some players you can't replace.

The Habs when they're completely healthy have more than enough depth, but it's VERY difficult to replace guys in your top 6.

You're being unreasonable here...

Why the hell would a guy with Ryder's stats (.317GPG & .640PPG) be sitting in the pressbox anyways???

Ryder is not going to be replaced by Dumont or Blunden tonight...they're likely to give guys like Galchenyuk and/or Eller more icetime.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Having depth means having guys that can step into bigger roles and the team doesn't lose a lot. That being said there are players on every teamn that if they go down the team's performance will suffer long term.

Having Ryder out and moving up Prust to the 3rd line is not a huge downgrade. Prust won't score like Ryder but he is better in other aspects. The problem right now is not having Ryder out, it's Ryder + Diaz + Emelin, good news is 2 of the 3 are basically day to day so no big deal.

idk

Jan 11, 2012
Having depth means having guys that can step into bigger roles and the team doesn't lose a lot. That being said there are players on every teamn that if they go down the team's performance will suffer long term.

And aside from Prust who do we have that can step up even to the third line? Moen? White? Armstrong? Halpern? Blunden? Dumont?

Having Ryder out and moving up Prust to the 3rd line is not a huge downgrade. Prust won't score like Ryder but he is better in other aspects. The problem right now is not having Ryder out, it's Ryder + Diaz + Emelin, good news is 2 of the 3 are basically day to day so no big deal.

Even if I were to agree that Ryder to Prust is a lateral move (it's not) there's another flaw in your argument. It's not just those three guys. It's Ryder and Diaz and Emelin and Prust and Armstrong and Kaberle (he may not be officially injured, but it looks like he won't be playing this season) and White (not injured, but is facing a lengthy suspension).

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
According to RDS:

L'autre défenseur suisse, Raphaël Diaz, pourrait quant à lui peut-être effectuer un retour au jeu samedi contre les Capitals de Washington.

idk

Jan 11, 2012
So you're suggesting that MB should just have a guy who has the production of Michael Ryder just sitting in the pressbox waiting to go in case Ryder gets injured??

What team has a 30 goal/60 point forward just sitting in the press box ready to go? lol

You're making no sense...some players you can't replace.

The Habs when they're completely healthy have more than enough depth, but it's VERY difficult to replace guys in your top 6.

You're being unreasonable here...

Why the hell would a guy with Ryder's stats (.317GPG & .640PPG) be sitting in the pressbox anyways???

Ryder is not going to be replaced by Dumont or Blunden tonight...they're likely to give guys like Galchenyuk and/or Eller more icetime.

S'funny. Half the people arguing with are saying "Prust will replace Ryder". The other half are saying "you just can't replace them". Neither one of those things matter really. I'm not suggesting we have a Ryder or a Plekanec waiting in the press box for one of our guys to go down. I'm suggesting that we should've acquired a player who could force one of our fourth liners to the press box and step into a more prominent role if necessary.

And how does Ryder's injuries translate to more time for Eller or Galchenyuk? I mean I suppose there will be some special teams ice time coming their way but how do Eller or Galchenyuk get extra ice time replacing the other guy on their line?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And aside from Prust who do we have that can step up even to the third line? Moen? White? Armstrong? Halpern? Blunden? Dumont?

All of the above could step up to the 3rd line on a short to medium term basis...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
S'funny. Half the people arguing with are saying "Prust will replace Ryder". The other half are saying "you just can't replace them". Neither one of those things matter really. I'm not suggesting we have a Ryder or a Plekanec waiting in the press box for one of our guys to go down. I'm suggesting that we should've acquired a player who could force one of our fourth liners to the press box and step into a more prominent role if necessary.

And how does Ryder's injuries translate to more time for Eller or Galchenyuk? I mean I suppose there will be some special teams ice time coming their way but how do Eller or Galchenyuk get extra ice time replacing the other guy on their line?

Well the Habs already had/have an excess of 4th liners as is...they couldn't of went out to acquire another player without moving one of theirs first. So this is kind of a moot point.

The Habs have at least 15 to 16 forwards on their roster capable of playing in the NHL in various roles, considering you have a maximum of 12 forwards you can ice in any game, I'd say that's more than enough depth.

But again, it's tough for ANY team to replace a guy from your top 6

As for how Eller or Galchenyuk will 'replace' Ryder...well Therrien experienced with different combinations with his 1st line last game, I seem to recall that he went with Bourque-Plekanec-Ryder at some point and he shifted Gionta on to the 3rd line with Eller & Galchenyuk.

And I didn't necessarily mean to 'replace' Ryder...just meant that they'll likely see added offensive responsibilities tonight.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 1 min

Brandon Prust jouera le match de mercredi, mais devrait rater la rencontre de jeudi par mesure de précaution. #canadiens #RDS

47131.gif

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Even if I were to agree that Ryder to Prust is a lateral move (it's not) there's another flaw in your argument. It's not just those three guys. It's Ryder and Diaz and Emelin and Prust and Armstrong and Kaberle (he may not be officially injured, but it looks like he won't be playing this season) and White (not injured, but is facing a lengthy suspension).

After Prust I'd say Armstrong or Dumont are the best option on the 3rd line.

We won't miss Armstrong Kaberle or White very much. Kaberle hasn't played since Subban came back. Armstrong and White can be replaced by Dumont/Blunden with little dropoff.

Not sure what your point is? We do have good depth, but if the whole team gets hurt then obviously the results will be affected. That's the case for the deepest team in the NHL...can you name them?

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
After Prust I'd say Armstrong or Dumont are the best option on the 3rd line.

We won't miss Armstrong Kaberle or White very much. Kaberle hasn't played since Subban came back. Armstrong and White can be replaced by Dumont/Blunden with little dropoff.

Not sure what your point is? We do have good depth, but if the whole team gets hurt then obviously the results will be affected. That's the case for the deepest team in the NHL...can you name them?

For all the crap Armstrong has received, we've done pretty damn well with him in the lineup and he has been everything you could ask for and expected from him. Plus a great locker room guy.

I really wish Dumont was in. I feel like we had more jump with him, he's a lot like Gallagher with his tenacity. He doesn't suck offensively either.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
All of the above could step up to the 3rd line on a short to medium term basis...

So could any player in Hamilton eligible to move up.

Being effective is another but more important issue.

Makes Therriens job easier. Will not raise eyebrows having our top scoring player on the 3rd line. Bourque will save us. Therrien believes that Bourque is the answer. He will be the first 6 goal scorer to force the highest scorer off of the top line and drag his team across the finish line to claim the long lost Stanley Cup.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Playing Prust is just stupid but that's my opinion, just rest him until the playoffs we definitely can't afford to lose him now just 2 weeks away from the start of the playoffs:shakehead

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
According to RDS:

L'autre défenseur suisse, Raphaël Diaz, pourrait quant à lui peut-être effectuer un retour au jeu samedi contre les Capitals de Washington.
Weber played 2 games with 8:56 TOI/G.

They gave Pateryn three games with 9:36, Tinordi got six games with 10:32, Beaulieu also got six games with 15:22 TOI/G.

So now, Weber will be given another chance and in two days Diaz will replace him.

idk

Jan 11, 2012
Well the Habs already had/have an excess of 4th liners as is...they couldn't of went out to acquire another player without moving one of theirs first. So this is kind of a moot point.

How do you figure? The Habs have been carrying 23 players all year. We had three injuries - White (ankle, was on IR), Boruque (concussion, was on IR) and Diaz (concussion, is still on the IR). Plus we have Kaberle, who can be "sent" to Hamilton without risk to the team (already passed through waivers). We added Drewiskie, but that still leaves three spots on the 23 man roster to fill (and after the deadline the roster limits go away anyway). Would it mean that one of some of the fourth liners would be seeing less starts. Yes. But Halpern/Moen/Armstrong/White are not guys you spend time worrying about their development - they're on the other side of that hill.

The Habs have at least 15 to 16 forwards on their roster capable of playing in the NHL in various roles, considering you have a maximum of 12 forwards you can ice in any game, I'd say that's more than enough depth.

Unfortunately as so many of those are - by your own words - fourth liners their ability to slot in to anything other than a fourth line role is debatable. What we needed to pick up were third/second liners who would fit on the fourth line.

But again, it's tough for ANY team to replace a guy from your top 6

Sure it is. But for some reason the Penguins have been missing at least one of their two world-class centres all season long and they are still kicking ass in the Eastern Conference. And they added talent at the deadline to make sure they could make a run of it.

Now I get the "we're not ready" business. I disagree, but I get it. So we don't blow the farm on this season. Are all those second round picks that valuable that we couldn't part with one to get a little more depth though?

As for how Eller or Galchenyuk will 'replace' Ryder...well Therrien experienced with different combinations with his 1st line last game, I seem to recall that he went with Bourque-Plekanec-Ryder at some point and he shifted Gionta on to the 3rd line with Eller & Galchenyuk.

And I didn't necessarily mean to 'replace' Ryder...just meant that they'll likely see added offensive responsibilities tonight.

I'm not sure how they can get much more in the way of offensive responsibility when they're the only line we have that are scoring. :)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
How do you figure? The Habs have been carrying 23 players all year. We had three injuries - White (ankle, was on IR), Boruque (concussion, was on IR) and Diaz (concussion, is still on the IR). Plus we have Kaberle, who can be "sent" to Hamilton without risk to the team (already passed through waivers). We added Drewiskie, but that still leaves three spots on the 23 man roster to fill (and after the deadline the roster limits go away anyway). Would it mean that one of some of the fourth liners would be seeing less starts. Yes. But Halpern/Moen/Armstrong/White are not guys you spend time worrying about their development - they're on the other side of that hill.

Unfortunately as so many of those are - by your own words - fourth liners their ability to slot in to anything other than a fourth line role is debatable. What we needed to pick up were third/second liners who would fit on the fourth line.

Sure it is. But for some reason the Penguins have been missing at least one of their two world-class centres all season long and they are still kicking ass in the Eastern Conference. And they added talent at the deadline to make sure they could make a run of it.

Now I get the "we're not ready" business. I disagree, but I get it. So we don't blow the farm on this season. Are all those second round picks that valuable that we couldn't part with one to get a little more depth though?

I'm not sure how they can get much more in the way of offensive responsibility when they're the only line we have that are scoring. :)

Crosby and Malkin have played 28 and 36 games out of 42, so a combined 20 games missed out of 84. I don't feel sorry for them after getting Malkin at #2 and winning the "Crosby lottery" :laugh:

pine*

White came back. Bourque came back. Diaz is likely to play Saturday. Maybe, just maybe they knew how close these players were to returning? Adding players like Bourque and Diaz is like adding players at the trade deadline - without giving up assets.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

again...I don't get your logic here. What sense does it make to spend what it would of cost to acquire said 2nd/3rd liners just to put them on the 4th line at 8 mins a game?

Again, I think the Habs depth, especially at forward was more than adequate...the thing is with depth, it's only a temporary solution. Your depth players are supposed to help you in spot duty, when you need them to replace guys who are out long term (I.E. Emelin), then it becomes more of a problem.

I think the big problem with the Habs right now is how their defense is built...there are too many of the same type of players, they've got alot of depth on defense, but not enough variety.

But in the end, I think you're panicking prematurely...the Habs have run into some injury issues, like many teams throughout the league, yet they've managed to secure a playoff spot and some of those players will be back in the lineup shortly.

Lets see how it all plays out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad