Prospect Info: In The System X (Ads and prospects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So far it seems like early returns on two of our best new prospects in Farrance and Afanaseyev are not entirely going as hoped. Which helps to illustrate that the process can be a lengthy one and that small samples can be misleading...

Farrance looked poised and played well in his cameo here right after college, which made us all optimistic about how soon he'd be ready, though it sounds like he needs more work. Afanaseyev looked great in camp, but has really leveled out in Milwaukee lately. Neither of them seem to even be candidates for a recall right now, if we were looking for a recall.

Fair enough, that's par for the course and no reason to worry at all, just a point of observation.

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
So far it seems like early returns on two of our best new prospects in Farrance and Afanaseyev are not entirely going as hoped. Which helps to illustrate that the process can be a lengthy one and that small samples can be misleading...

Farrance looked poised and played well in his cameo here right after college, which made us all optimistic about how soon he'd be ready, though it sounds like he needs more work. Afanaseyev looked great in camp, but has really leveled out in Milwaukee lately. Neither of them seem to even be candidates for a recall right now, if we were looking for a recall.

Fair enough, that's par for the course and no reason to worry at all, just a point of observation.

Is there something about Farrance's defensive game that needs work? Just going based off the numbers, I say he'd be the first recall for the D. He's top 5 in rookie scoring by a defenseman in the AHL

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Luke Prokop has 11 points in 18 games and is a +22 in the WHL.

Luke Evangelista has points in every game he's played in this season except for 1. He has 33 pts (20 g, 13a) in 18 games.

Zachary L'Heureux has 23 points in 15 games in the Q.

Fyodor Svechkov appears to have been sent down to the 3rd-tier Russian league, where he has 6 points in 3 games.

Reactions: LDN and triggrman

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
PLAYERTEAMLEAGUEGPGATPPPGPIM+/-
Luke Evangelista (RW)London Knights OHL182013331.831212
Zachary L'Heureux (LW/C)Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL14815231.641710
Juuso Pärssinen (C)TPS Liiga15612181.2213
Fyodor Svechkov (W/C) totals22215170.7749
SKA St. Petersburg KHL4000002
SKA-Neva St. Petersburg VHL1529110.7342
SKA-1946 St. Petersburg MHL3066205
Matt Luff (RW)Milwaukee Admirals AHL1768140.8212-8
Jack Matier (D)Ottawa 67's OHL2259140.6415-5
Cody Glass (C)Milwaukee Admirals AHL16113140.8810-3
Alexander Campbell (LW/C)Clarkson Univ. NCAA1576130.8701
Luke Prokop (D) totals2158130.621619
Calgary Hitmen WHL31120.674-3
Edmonton Oil Kings WHL1847110.611222
Jachym Kondelik (C)Univ. of Connecticut NCAA1439120.8646
David Farrance (D)Milwaukee Admirals AHL1719100.598-2
Cole Smith (LW)Milwaukee Admirals AHL144480.576-5
Yegor Afanasyev (W/C)Milwaukee Admirals AHL173580.4780
Gunnarwolfe Fontaine (LW)Northeastern Univ. NCAA162680.520
Ryan Ufko (D)UMass NCAA121780.674-3
Rocco Grimaldi (C/RW)Milwaukee Admirals AHL85270.8820
Spencer Stastney (D)Univ. of Notre Dame NCAA120770.5828
Chase McLane (C)Penn State Univ. NCAA152460.463
Simon Knak (RW)HC Davos NL202460.380
Adam Wilsby (D)Skellefteå AIK SHL221560.271211
Jérémy Davies (D)Milwaukee Admirals AHL170660.35161
Matt Tennyson (D)Milwaukee Admirals AHL172350.29142
Luke Reid (D)Univ. of New Hampshire NCAA152240.2710-4
Marc Del Gaizo (D)Milwaukee Admirals AHL172240.246-12
Vladislav Yeryomenko (D)Dinamo Minsk KHL292240.14140
Kole Sherwood (RW)Belleville Senators AHL131340.318-7
Anthony Richard (C/LW)Milwaukee Admirals AHL122130.2560
Michael McCarron (RW/C)Milwaukee Admirals AHL91230.336-5
Anton Olsson (D)Malmö Redhawks SHL201230.150-3
Tommy Novak (C)Milwaukee Admirals AHL1033301
Grant Mismash (C/LW)Milwaukee Admirals AHL122020.174-7
Isak Walther (LW/RW)Univ. of Vermont NCAA121120.172-6
Semyon Chistyakov (D) totals220220.0983
Omskie Krylia VHL30110.3322
Avangard Omsk KHL190110.0561
Mathieu Olivier (RW)Milwaukee Admirals AHL81010.1321-3
Frédéric Allard (D)Milwaukee Admirals AHL90110.118-9
Ben Harpur (D)Milwaukee Admirals AHL300005-3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Milwaukee lost at home 3-1 tonight in front of 2100 fans.
The best news was Kendall Hanley was a linesperson. You go girl!

It was a very clean game. I was surprised that 7 minors were called. It could have been 4 or 5.
I guess Referees Peter Tarnaris and Brandon Schrader wanted to do something during the game. I give them both a score of 6. It could have been higher with fewer calls.

Milwaukee had a bad turnover in their D-zone and Rockford went tic-tac-toe for a goal at 3:15. About 10 seconds later, the IceHogs were called for hooking. It was the only PP for the Ads and it was awful! There were lots of board battles for the puck. One had 6 players on the end wall and lasted for 30 seconds. It was boring hockey even though Milwaukee ended up with the puck.

Grant Mismash brought the puck of out the corner in the O-zone and was tripped from behind. He made what my wife called a "butt pass" to Matt Donovan who scored halfway through the period. There was no call on the trip. The Ads had another D-zone turnover and gave up another goal with 90 seconds remaining in period 1.

Period 2 had 5 penalties (4 on the Ads, 2 of which were iffy at best) and no goals. Rockford outshot Milwaukee 14 to 3. Only Smith, Del Gaizo and Ingram seemed to be making a real effort to win.

In period 3, the Admirals finally realized that they were losing the game. They had 11 shots in the first 12 minutes. Then Marc Del Gaizo got a hooking penalty and that killed the momentum. Rockford scored 40 seconds later and the game was essentially over.

Rockford doesn't have any more talent than Milwaukee. They just had a little more jump in this game. The Ads have to play 3 periods. They have to stop the blind passes, the dumps to nowhere, the cycling the puck with no shots on goal. Ben Harpur was shaky in period 1 and some of period 2. Farrance skated all over with the puck with no results. Milwaukee needs to rethink their offense. Olivier was the strongest player with the puck for Milwaukee.

Reactions: cjerina

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
how do you like Ingrams development?

He looked good in his NHL starts. Hes playing for an undermanned Milwaukee team so his numbers down there may not be great but I think everyone here assumes he will be Saros backup next year and until Askarov is ready

Reactions: Johnny Danger

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Rockford doesn't have any more talent than Milwaukee. They just had a little more jump in this game. The Ads have to play 3 periods. They have to stop the blind passes, the dumps to nowhere, the cycling the puck with no shots on goal. Ben Harpur was shaky in period 1 and some of period 2. Farrance skated all over with the puck with no results. Milwaukee needs to rethink their offense. Olivier was the strongest player with the puck for Milwaukee.

Best summary of the 3 game Rockford series. Milwaukee could have won any of the games if they played a full game.

@adsfan since I haven't been at as many (though trying to watch on AHLTV), and usually being distracted by other things at the game, this was the first time I seemed to recall the Ads using the dump & chase to enter the zone on a PP rather than using Glass or similar to attempt to carry it in. Is that just me or are they finally trying to change stuff up?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Best summary of the 3 game Rockford series. Milwaukee could have won any of the games if they played a full game.

@adsfan since I haven't been at as many (though trying to watch on AHLTV), and usually being distracted by other things at the game, this was the first time I seemed to recall the Ads using the dump & chase to enter the zone on a PP rather than using Glass or similar to attempt to carry it in. Is that just me or are they finally trying to change stuff up?

The Ads have been dumping and chasing more this season than any since Curt Fraser was the coach. They seem to do it in all situations. Milwaukee is 5-12-1-0. That is pretty dismal.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
What I find crazy is how much success Evason is having with the Wild. I thought he was crappy with the Ads

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
What I find crazy is how much success Evason is having with the Wild. I thought he was crappy with the Ads

Evason isn't a bad regular season coach, but he doesn't seem to be able to win in the playoffs (0-4 in Ads playoff series, and in those 4 playoff appearances, only 1 win.)

Reactions: adsfan

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
The Preds use a dump and chase system so that's what the Ads are going to do. The Ads may not have the personnel to make it work but they're going to mimick Hynes' system so there is continuity throughout the organization.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
The Preds use a dump and chase system so that's what the Ads are going to do. The Ads may not have the personnel to make it work but they're going to mimick Hynes' system so there is continuity throughout the organization.

This is something that I have wondered about - I'd be curious for the Ads fans views on how similar the systems actually are in practice

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
This is something that I have wondered about - I'd be curious for the Ads fans views on how similar the systems actually are in practice

When Milwaukee had the best team in the AHL, pretty much anything worked. Mostly, they carried the puck with speed through the neutral zone and into the O-zone, then shot or cycled the puck and shot.

Now, they don't have as many speedy players like Tolvanen.

They don't have as many puck carriers and passers like Carrier.

They dump and chase even on the PP because teams are playing a neutral zone trap or standing 4 skaters on their blue line to stop the puck by having 2 guys close the gap that you try to skate through with the puck.

Milwaukee won at Cleveland last night 4-1 but I didn't listen to the game. (TheAHL.com says Grimaldi had 2 goals, Ingram had 28 saves on 29 shots and Glass had 1G and 1A to be the three stars) The Ads are 4 points behind the 7th place team in their division. The 2-1 loss to Rockford on Wednesday night was a 4 point swing that really hurt.

Two points about the game summary. First, Milwaukee scored 1:25 into the game. They rarely score first. Second, their were 8 minors called in the game, all for Tripping and all were power plays.
How weird is that? BTW, Milwaukee was 1 for 5 and Cleveland was 0 for 3 on the PP.

Last edited:

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
Was out of town for the weekend, any idea why Cody Glass didn't play Saturday? Benched for scoring a goal?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The good news, the Ads won in OT!

The bad news, they have to play a DIRTY Iowa Wild team tomorrow night when I have symphony tickets. It is going to be a war!

At 12:21 Graham Knott scored his second goal of the season with assists from defensemen Davies and Tennyson. About a minute later, Mitch McLain caused a turnover near the Wild blueline and scored unassisted to make it 2-0 Ads. Both goals were low on the glove side of Hunter Jones. Thirty seconds later, Mismash gets a roughing penalty and Joseph Cramarossa goes after Mitch McLain. They both get minors. (This would set the tone for the rest of the game.) The now infamous Kyle Rau scores a PPG to make 2-1 and the Admirals momentum was destroyed.

Six minutes into period 2, Cramarossa scores the tying goal. Five minutes later, Rau gets called for Interference and the Ads PP misfires badly. Labate picks up 2 minors for Milwaukee, almost back-to-back. Will Bitten gets a boarding penalty and the victim was McLain. He and Davies were targeted for nearly the entire game. Halfway through the period, my wife says "they keep holding our defensemen". Goalie Devin Cooley was run into behind the net in period one. In period 2, on the second Iowa goal, a Wild player stepped over his leg in the crease and seemed to prevent him from stopping a goal. I watched the replay and I would have disallowed that goal for goaltender interference. The refs disagreed with my call and with Devin Cooley's opinion.

In period 3, Milwaukee had a parade to the penalty box. The first and third penalties were stupid and lazy plays. The second penalty was "Interference". A Wild player was cutting across the low slot and lost an edge followed by crashing into Matt Donovan. The ref wearing #93 called the wrongful penalty. I have no idea who that was. At 14:46, during the third penalty, Iowa scores another PPG to go ahead 3-2. Matt Tennyson rifled home a shot to make it 3-3 with assists to Cole Smith and Michael McCarron. At 20:00, Rau starts mixing it up with Olivier in the corner nearest me. Another Wild player joins him to try and rough up Olivier. Olivier looks like he said he would fight, but the officials prevent it. A bunch of players crowd into the corner. Wild player Turner Ottenbreit starts mouthing off to McCarron. A linesman gets between them and Ottenbreit throws a punch over him and hits McCarron in the mouth. McCarron wants to fight him, but the officials won't allow it. They both get Unsportsmanlike penalties. Rau starts after Olivier again and another Wild player is shoulder-to-shoulder with him. The officials break it up again and prevent a fight again. Amazingly, none of those 3 players gets a penalty by the grossly incompetent refs.

The OT begins. The Ads win the faceoff and as they ALWAYS do in OT, they bring the puck all the way back behind their net. Donovan was playing D with Grimaldi and Cody Glass up front. A lot of skating around was followed by Grimaldi rushing up ice with the puck and then passing behind Glass. The Wild lived up to their name by taking some wild shots. At 1:42 the whistle blows. I think the puck hit the big net behind the Milwaukee goal.

Davies has his butt up against the half wall and was bent over taking a breath. The Wild's #2, Dman Calen Addison, was skating past Davies on the way to the his bench when he suddenly turned 90 degrees to the left and jumps Davies. He throws 3 or 4 punches before Davies can get his guard up. The linesmen come over and Davies throws off his gloves and wants to fight. He gets maybe 2 or 3 shots in as Addison is still punching even though the linesmen are holding both of them. Davies was trying to shake loose because he was angry and wants to fight back. The linesmen prevent it yet again. (Don't be surprised if there is a brawl tomorrow night because the Admirals have a lot of players who want to get even for all of the garbage that was allowed in this game, including the numerous cheap shots behind the play that were never called.) Addison leaves via his bench. It is announced that he gets a 2-5-10 and Davies gets 5 for fighting, which is kind of a bad joke, but fitting for these so called refs.

At 2:01, Cody Glass gets the puck, shoots it and it trickles home. Maybe one of the Wild players knocked it in? It is the GWG. Later on, it is announced that Kyle Rau got 2 minutes for Unsportsmanlike Conduct. I didn't see it, but it doesn't surprise me any. I was watching the Admirals celebrating on the ice for about 2 minutes. Perhaps the longest that I have ever seen them do that.

Goons of the Game: Assistant Captain Kyle Rau and Calen Addison.

Ref Ratings: #93 gets a 2. Jake Kamrass #3, gets a 3.

Linesman Ratings: Jonathan Sladek (#53) and Thomas Lyle (#88) They both get a 4. Their calls were excellent. Their ability to prevent a fight was poor. They were holding 2 players and one is still punching the other. Usually it was a Wild player hitting an Admiral.

I think McCarron got a bloody lip. Don't be surprised if he knocks a Wild player into the stands tomorrow night. Don't be surprised if Olivier beats somebody to a pulp. Don't be surprised if Davies spears Addison in every period that they both play in that game. Don't be surprised if McLain hits somebody so hard that they go off the ice via stretcher. Maybe the AHL should assign 3 refs for tomorrow night?

It is going to be Old Time Hockey, Eddie Shore Night in Milwaukee! Slap Shot will reign supreme and It is All Iowa's Fault. And maybe the two refs from tonight. They should have called a few more penalties in period 1 to keep a lid on the game. Each period was worse than the previous one and you don't often see a near line brawl at the end of regulation and a fight in overtime.

With 3 more wins, the 3-0-0-0 Admirals will be at .500 and be ahead of the 0-4-1-1 Wild.

Glass was the #1 star of the game. Pretty good for a guy who was hammered into the Iowa Wild's goal in the third period while the puck was in the SE corner. No penalty was called even though it took him about 30 seconds to get up and skate away. The 3000 fans didn't care for it.

Last point. The Admirals "hero of the game" claimed to donate blood 600 times for 74 gallons. I have donated blood off and on for 40 some years and have given about 15 gallons. My math says if you donate every 8 weeks, it would take about 92 years to give 600 times. FRAUD!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Milwaukee won 4-2 against Iowa (again), this time with Ingram in goal in front of 4200 fans.

McCarron scored the first goal and did have a fight against Ottenbreit within the first 4 minutes of the game.

Sorry that I missed seeing it in person! Same refs as Friday. It looks like they learned their lesson.

Tennyson, Grimaldi and McCarron were the stars of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad