Prospect Info: In the System IX (Ads and Prospects)

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Milwaukee was outshot 60 to 16 tonight. Their first shot on goal was not counted. Their last shot that I remember was Grant Mismash hitting the crossbar with a little less than 4 minutes remaining. That wasn't counted either.

In period 1, the shots were 10-0 at one point. Coach Taylor sounded angry enough to perhaps call an 8 AM practice. The Moose passed well all game, especially in period 3, when the scored a goal to tie the game at 3-3. My wife astutely pointed out that five of the six regulation goals were scored at the north end. It has seemed that way a lot this season. We sit near the south goal.

Connor Ingram was the #1 star. They never would have gotten a point tonight without his tremendous efforts.

Both Coles scored in period 2. Schneider scored on a tip in. Smith snagged the puck in the slot, skated away from the goal and wheeled and fired into the right upper corner from the top of the slot. Each were assisted by Del Gaizo and Luff. Afanasyev scored on a rebound with assists to Glass (8) and Farrance (3)

Tonight was Matt Bradley's first game for MKE. He played fine. You couldn't tell that he was new.

Ref Ratings: Newcomers Justin Kea and Tatu Kunto were both fine through two periods. Give them each an 7.

Then the third period came. A Moose player had the puck 6 inches from his skate in the Neutral Zone. Richard poked at the puck with the toe of his blade and touched the skate just before the Moose went down. Two minutes for tripping. Richard yelled at the ref for 15 to 20 seconds. He started with "come on" and worked his way up. After what wasn't called on Manitoba in that period, it was pretty ticky-tack. About 45 seconds later, Matt Donovan was called for Interference to make it the usual 5-on-3. (The other guy wrapped up Donovan, yet he was not called for anything)

My wife stated that "the refs are trying to help the Moose catch up". The Moose scored their third PPG of the game.

In the OT, Glass was called for hooking. Earlier, Glass had been in front of the goal while the puck was in the corner and he was knocked down onto his back. Neither ref made a call. (There were only 6 skaters for the 2 refs to watch) The Admirals played the rest of the OT short handed. Smith nearly scored a shorty, but the Moose scored with 1 second remaining in the penalty. They deserved to win the game, but not that way.

New Ref Ratings were 1 each, giving them an average of 4. A five is average on my 10 scale.

Linesmen Thomas Lyle and Mike Daltrey each get an eight. No bad calls, no problems dropping the puck. They only got in the way of the puck a few times each.

Goon of the Game: Former Admiral Jimmy Oligny had 9 PIMs in period 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldOnGold

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It's no wonder the Ads are struggling. That's on Poile for not getting them help in the summer.

Oh come on, really? Farm teams struggle whenever a bunch of young talent makes the big team and it's happened with what, 5 or 6 players in the last year? Ads were gonna be down no matter what and will get better when we have more good prospects who arent ready for the NHL

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Oh come on, really? Farm teams struggle whenever a bunch of young talent makes the big team and it's happened with what, 5 or 6 players in the last year? Ads were gonna be down no matter what and will get better when we have more good prospects who arent ready for the NHL

Even so, I would've expected Poile to get some help there, knowing there are a bunch of players coming up this year. No bueno for development when your team gets their asses handed to them on a nightly basis.

Not to mention, the 13th forward we kept over Pitlick is being leap-frogged by a bunch of AHL'ers including Mike McCarron.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Even so, I would've expected Poile to get some help there, knowing there are a bunch of players coming up this year. No bueno for development when your team gets their asses handed to them on a nightly basis.

Not to mention, the 13th forward we kept over Pitlick is being leap-frogged by a bunch of AHL'ers including Mike McCarron.

Remember if Poile signs players for Milwaukee it uses an NHL contract spot that we may need for someone else. I dont knownif Nichol is responsible for signing AHL only deals or not but that sounds like what should have happened

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Remember if Poile signs players for Milwaukee it uses an NHL contract spot that we may need for someone else. I dont knownif Nichol is responsible for signing AHL only deals or not but that sounds like what should have happened

We are at 42/50 contract spots. Plenty of room.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
We are at 42/50 contract spots. Plenty of room.

But why waste them? And what great AHL players were out there unsigned? Beacuse no way should Poile trade future picks for AHL fodder. This is just the reality of minor league pro sports.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
But why waste them?

To make the Ads more competitive?

I don't know, I think he should've signed a forward or two for depth and not overload the younger players down there. We'll see how this pans out but from the looks of it, Ingram is holding the fort together on his own right now and there's not much help.

42 contracts out of 50 for a team that's nowhere near the cap seems awfully low for me. You usually see teams at 45-46 which still gives you flexibility if you need to make moves and it means there's a few more depth players in the AHL

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Maybe I'll be proven wrong over the course of the season but I don't think this team is very good. They'll be okay of Ingram saves them like he did tonight but if he misses any time this team is going to free fall pretty quick. Cooley and Gahagen ain't it.

I mean, yeah. Ingram basically stole a point yesterday. But he's not going to steal many points if they keep getting out shot by 44.

Reactions: adsfan

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
60-16 is just insane. Even if Allard and Healey are injured atm. I think Poile's plan with the D seemed sufficient going in. Tennyson played in the NHL last year. Him plus bringing Donovan back should have been enough, to go with what we thought we had in Allard, Farrance, Davies, and Del Gaizo.

Not watching the games, it's hard to even guess what's broken... but I hope Farrance and Davies aren't getting too carried away trying to be Roman Josi down there. What they're supposed to be doing is learning the other side of the game.
:dunno:

It's kind of good for Ingram to see that much rubber, though. His previous dominant years were kind of on dominant teams, so this can definitely put to rest any worries on that front if he keeps this up! :)

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Yeah, well this IS the AHL team's thread so..

Point was that Poiles responsibility is to make sure everything in the organization accrues to the benefit of the NHL team. With Jeannot, Tomasino, Novak and Pitlick all departing, there is no way it was gonna be a great year for Milwaukee. Next year when Evangelista, Prokop and Parssinen get there the upward turn will begin again

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Point was that Poiles responsibility is to make sure everything in the organization accrues to the benefit of the NHL team.

And my point was that a competitive team helps players develop the best. Getting to the playoffs etc. even when in the AHL is still a big deal.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
It's not really the big issue that it seems, it's just that most of our top prospects are not AHL players.

Tolvanen and Tomasino are in the NHL, along with surprises Jeannot and Novak.
Askarov, Svechkov and Chistyakov are in the KHL.
Parssinen is in the SHL.
Evangelista and L'Heureux are in the CHL.

Afanasyev and Farrance are in the AHL.

This season might be pretty lean there, but in the next two seasons I think most of those guys will see AHL time and the Ads should be stacked.

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
60-16 is just insane. Even if Allard and Healey are injured atm.

Not watching the games, it's hard to even guess what's broken... but I hope Farrance and Davies aren't getting too carried away trying to be Roman Josi down there.

Healey warmed up last night, I'm not sure that he's hurt, just out because of a numbers game for d-men.

Farrance rarely has the puck on his stick, so he's definitely not trying to mimic Josi. If he could enter the offensive zone like Josi, that would be great because Cody Glass isn't getting that done.

Given their similar age, Del Gaizo looks like the better offensive d-man compared to Farrance. Unless the coaching staff is trying to make Farrance more well rounded or something.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Healey warmed up last night, I'm not sure that he's hurt, just out because of a numbers game for d-men.

Farrance rarely has the puck on his stick, so he's definitely not trying to mimic Josi. If he could enter the offensive zone like Josi, that would be great because Cody Glass isn't getting that done.

Given their similar age, Del Gaizo looks like the better offensive d-man compared to Farrance. Unless the coaching staff is trying to make Farrance more well rounded or something.
Poile mentioned Del Gaizo on the radio yesterday during his interview. The hosts were talking about guys like Davies and Farrance and Poile said something to the effect of he'd look to Del Gaizo to be a first call up on D.

Reactions: cjerina

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

You probably don't want Healey and Tennyson both playing in the same game unless you need 2 big hitters on D.

It might have helped last night to stop some of those shots by sending the puck carrier flying.

Farrance is more of a stickhandler, but Del Gaizo uses his speed to jump in on some plays. If you could combine them, you would have the new Bobby Orr.

Cody Glass is hit and miss at the moment. He seems to be an assist guy and not a goal scorer. He has 8A and 0G in 8 games played. If he could just win a few faceoffs...

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Cody Glass is hit and miss at the moment. He seems to be an assist guy and not a goal scorer. He has 8A and 0G in 8 games played. If he could just win a few faceoffs...
He may not have goals yep but it would seem from here in Nashville that 8 points in 8 games is a positive. Not that it's time to bring him back up to the NHL but his probably not a completely broken toy.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It's no wonder the Ads are struggling. That's on Poile for not getting them help in the summer.

The Ads are 6 points out of first place in their division at the moment. They also have a lot of road games coming up including 3 in Manitoba. I am sure that Karl Taylor will right the ship. They are -6 in goals versus Rockford's -12, both are over 9 games.

Don't panic! I expect McCarron and / or Olivier will be back. That will help with the O-zone entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad