Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If we're going to be done with the season (which I hope they don't give up on yet) here is what I want to see.

O'Reilly + Briere + Hejda

for

Morrissey + Burmistrov's rights + Cormier

It absolutely kills us this year but if we end up calling it we may as well call it in completely.
The Jets get some much needed roster help now and the guy who easily the best player in the deal. Avs get a potential top pairing guy who will at the very least be a great top 4 guy, they get a depth guy with some potential in Burmi who will likely be back next year if things stay the way they are in Russia. Plus the Avs get a cheap, young 4th line centre who is better than anybody on the 4th line right now.

I'd much rather explore a ROR + for Morrissey + Lowry + sort of deal.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As I said in the last thread, I wouldn't have an issue with Morrissey being the main piece. We can't get the perfect solution and I'm fine taking a little bit of a risk on to get someone with talent who isn't ancient or walking out the door in a year or so.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That would be amazing, but I don't think it will happen.

I think it really depends on how much Winnipeg wants to put into this playoff run. If they just want to make they playoffs, I don't think they touch that deal or any other one with Morrissey as a key piece. If they want to make a run, that is trading future assets for a young asset that can help in a run right now. Alone with that, the plus could be a Briere type that adds a proven playoff performer and leader (salary would have to be retained and a cap dump/s added by Winnipeg). They could drastically improve their forward group, without having to dismantle the defense that is great when healthy.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So its been reiterated that O'Reilly is held in high value around the league. So that's great and it sounds like Sakic and Roy are not going to have to settle for some bargain deal just to get rid of him. But the other side of it is, what are teams going to really give up? The contract situation is obvious to everyone but never mentioned by Bob and Co. So teams are just assuming once they get him in and offer him some big coin then he will stay? Or buy now and worry about it later?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think ROR holds a lot of value but I'm more worried about who Roy likes or dislikes on the other teams. I can't help but fear that he'll love Emelin or someone like that for whatever reason and consider him a "big piece" in a potential trade.
You keep saying this, but if Roy loved Emelin in the deal, the trade would have happened by now. Montreal would have accepted easily.

Gudas is done for the year.

Hejda for Erne!
I was thinking the Russian center they keep having to send to the AHL. If I could spell his name, I would. Hejda probably couldn't bring that back though.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Much as I have maintained he and Sakic misfired badly on the Stuart acquisition/signing, I don't think Roy just likes one type of player. He obviously doesn't seem to mind speed and skill either. I think he, like pretty much everyone else in the NHL, overvalues "grit" and "compete" and "character," but that doesn't mean he's Brian Burke.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
You keep saying this, but if Roy loved Emelin in the deal, the trade would have happened by now. Montreal would have accepted easily.

I was thinking the Russian center they keep having to send to the AHL. If I could spell his name, I would. Hejda probably couldn't bring that back though.

Namestnikov? That sounds like highway robbery.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm really hoping that some team wants a package of Briere and Hejda for their cup run and offers up a Mcginn/sgarbo like package to get them.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
You can't possibly know that. And Emelin was just an exampel.
You keep saying that you're worried he'll take some player no one would like. I'm sure teams have not been scared to offer up poor players or players with bad contracts, and if Roy and Sakic were interested in something like that, they would have already taken it.

The Avs didn't trade O'Reilly when he held out. They didn't trade him when they knew he was going to be trouble in contract negotiations last summer. They easily could have, but they clearly value what type of player he is. I don't think they plan on trading him for anything less than great value. If that's one big piece or multiple pieces, who knows, but it's clear the organization thinks highly of O'Reilly and they won't just give him away.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
You keep saying that you're worried he'll take some player no one would like. I'm sure teams have not been scared to offer up poor players or players with bad contracts, and if Roy and Sakic were interested in something like that, they would have already taken it.

The Avs didn't trade O'Reilly when he held out. They didn't trade him when they knew he was going to be trouble in contract negotiations last summer. They easily could have, but they clearly value what type of player he is. I don't think they plan on trading him for anything less than great value. If that's one big piece or multiple pieces, who knows, but it's clear the organization thinks highly of O'Reilly and they won't just give him away.

Yeah, I'm still worried about what return they will like back considering what players they have brought in since coming here.

It's just such an important trade this, we can't afford to mess it up.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
If we were deal ROR to the Jets, it would be stupid of us not to trying to acquire the rights to Burmistrov as part of it. He holds like no value to the Jets as there is no way he'd ever play for them.

Something like:

Morrissey+Burmistrov's Rights+ decent prospect (Lowry or De Leo) or conditional draft pick 1st if Burmistrov doesn't sign 2nd if he does.

for

ROR+prospect like Elliott or Hishon

That deal would be risky for us especially if Morrissey kind of fizzles, and Burmistrov doesn't come over, but I think it'd be worth the risk.

member 116861

Yeah, I'm still worried about what return they will like back considering what players they have brought in since coming here.

It's just such an important trade this, we can't afford to mess it up.

I'm not too worried. I believe O'Reilly will be overrated by Roy/Sakic and other GMs around the league. In the end with ROR being overrated and Roy/Sakic being bad at their job, we will get fair value back.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think you hit the nail on the head with Eller though. Depending on how the Avs view a kid like Tinordi, that could be the kind of deal that the Habs need to push them over the top and giving up a good, young forward in Eller, an NHL-ready prospect in Tinordi wouldn't hurt their chances at all. I have a lot of confidence in both those players but would still be hopeful that the Avs could swing a deal for a better d-man. If nothing better comes up, it wouldn't be that bad. (it's been a while since I've seen Tinordi play regularly though but what I saw of him in junior impressed me enough to think he should end up a top-4 guy eventually)
Eller + Tinordi + higher pick for ROR + Elliott is a deal I'd consider, for sure. It's not an ideal trade, but the value is decent. It depends on how the organization would view Tinordi, though. He seems like a decent bet to be a second pairing guy, but seeing Montreal trade for some ancient defenseman rather than playing him is a little scary.

I think a guy like Eller or Burmistrov would be really valuable on this team, playing the 3rd line center role and taking on the heavy defensive minutes, opening up MacKinnon and Duchene offensively.

It sounds like Burmistrov is pretty set to return to the NHL, from what I heard. He just hated Noel.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I was talking to a friend the other day and we suggested Eller and Beaulieu. Tinordi is interesting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad