Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Well that debate isn't too relevant. That appears to be the team he's looking to sign with.

He may not be asking to be guaranteed a spot in the top 6/top9 but he's probably at least looking for a team that has an opening that he has a good shot at.

For the Avs that will take an injury. I'm not sure that's the opportunity he's looking for.

What appears to be the team he is looking to sign with? One that has no competition and an easy road to the top of the lineup? How do you even know what he is looking for?

If the guy can play then he has a good shot at our top6/9. And no, it wont take an injury. Our roster is no where near as set as you think. I don't see any of our forwards being traded other than maybe McLeod, but they sure can be moved down a line if Hayes proves to be better. I doubt Tangs would have a problem moving down a line if Hayes shows to be better. Mitchell can easily move down if Hayes proves to be better. Most people think Mitchell is not even good enough for the 3rd line (I disagree, but that seems to be the majority vote on Mitchell). Briere can be easy scratched if he wants to act like a little brat if he gets moved. And once again, most people don't even want Briere on the team because of his lackluster performance, let alone the 3rd line. We have 2 guys expected to be on the 3rd line that get crap for not being good enough to be there. That Seems like a pretty "good shot" to me.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What appears to be the team he is looking to sign with? One that has no competition and an easy road to the top of the lineup? How do you even know what he is looking for?

If the guy can play then he has a good shot at our top6/9. And no, it wont take an injury. Our roster is no where near as set as you think. I don't see any of our forwards being traded other than maybe McLeod, but they sure can be moved down a line if Hayes proves to be better. I doubt Tangs would have a problem moving down a line if Hayes shows to be better. Mitchell can easily move down if Hayes proves to be better. Most people think Mitchell is not even good enough for the 3rd line (I disagree, but that seems to be the majority vote on Mitchell). Briere can be easy scratched if he wants to act like a little brat if he gets moved. And once again, most people don't even want Briere on the team because of his lackluster performance, let alone the 3rd line. We have 2 guys expected to be on the 3rd line that get crap for not being good enough to be there. That Seems like a pretty "good shot" to me.

We can't offer him an easier road to the top 9 than the Hawks can really. That's what he's looking for. It's not an issue of money.

Nobody in the top nine is getting traded or moved to the 4th line with the possible exception of Mitchell, and even that is unlikely.

Briere surely won't to start out with, as they'll give him every opportunity to play a bigger role than he did in Montreal. He had to waive his NMC to come here.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Yep, pretty sure re-upping ROR means no Hayes, still would have been nice
to replenish the prospect cubbards a bit with a former first rounder.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I think that if they were in fact interested and "front runners" for Hayes before the ROR signing, there's no reason why they shouldn't still be interested.

Roy loves to have guys competing for a roster spot, and since the forward cupboard was so thin he didn't really get a chance add the element of competition like he did with the D last training camp.

Right now there's really only Rendulic, Hishon, Cliche, McLeod, Bordy and Winchester competing for 3 spots, hardly very much competition. Adding Hayes into the mix won't upset anyone.

There really isn't a logjam at forward because Tangs and Briere will probably miss time due to various injuries and we will most likely lose a top-6 guy or two to injury as well over the course of the season.

Any way, TL;DR, basically they should sign him anyway because healthy competition is great and if he makes the team it will just push a worse guy outta the lineup.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yep, pretty sure re-upping ROR means no Hayes, still would have been nice
to replenish the prospect cubbards a bit with a former first rounder.

I wouldn't say it's totally out of the question. We have quite a few options to shed salary and we could easily slot Hayes on the 3rd line to start and move him once injuries hit. We could easily buyout Wilson and McCleod that would free up like almost 4M. Straight up not compliance buyouts.

I'd really like the looks of:

ROR-Duchene-Iginla
Landeskog-MacKinnon-Tanguay
McGinn-Briere-Hayes
Talbot-Mitchell-Winchester

Bordeleau

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I wouldn't say it's totally out of the question. We have quite a few options to shed salary and we could easily slot Hayes on the 3rd line to start and move him once injuries hit. We could easily buyout Wilson and McCleod that would free up like almost 4M. Straight up not compliance buyouts.

ROR-Duchene-Iginla
McGinn-Briere-Hayes

Bordeleau

Problem with that lineup is you have taken most of the teach out of it. If our goal was to get more physical, it kind of doesn't work.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
We can't offer him an easier road to the top 9 than the Hawks can really. That's what he's looking for. It's not an issue of money.

Nobody in the top nine is getting traded or moved to the 4th line with the possible exception of Mitchell, and even that is unlikely.

Briere surely won't to start out with, as they'll give him every opportunity to play a bigger role than he did in Montreal. He had to waive his NMC to come here.

"Just speculating, but one reason why Hayes might not want to sign with the Blackhawks is because he knows they’re a team deep on right wing, both in Chicago and the development system. Behind Patrick Kane, Marian Hossa, Kris Versteeg and Ben Smith, the Hawks have Ryan Hartman (first-rounder in 2013), Mark McNeill (first-rounder in 2011) and Jeremy Morin (Atlanta’s second-rounder in 2009) all pushing for promotions. It might be a full two years or more in the American League for Hayes, who is 22." http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/w...-what-can-the-chicago-blackhawks-do-about-it/

You can seriously say the same thing or us? They also have Toews, Richards and Shaw down the middle. And Sharp and Saad on the other side. Terevainen sounds ready to make the jump as well.

Yes, we will give Briere a chance at a bigger role, but it isn't guaranteed. Just like we would give Hayes a chance to compete. If you were Hayes, would you rather compete against Tanguay and Breire or Hossa and Versteeg/Smith? Would you rather compete with Bleackley or all those prospects listed for Chicago?

Dude, we have not even started camp yet. These guys do not have their spots on the depth chart locked up.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007

ROR-Duchene-Iginla
McGinn-Briere-Hayes

Bordeleau

That is a lot more depth. We aren't going to have that team for 82 games anyways. Guys will get hurt.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
ROR doesn't even play the same position as Hayes, not sure it really changes anything. We still have almost no natural RW's in the system and he can probably see that. There's Iginla, and then a bunch of converted LW and C's. It would be a very nice addition and I'm sure the Avs could easily sell him being on the team real quick. Our top 3 RW's are 37, 35, and 36 years old, after all.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Well another way to look at it too is our core. I think Schultz was sold on the Oil, cause he could grow with their guys. Maybe Hayes feels the same way and it doesnt hurt that we are more competitive than say CGY or FLA.
He can be apart of our core guys of Dutch, Landy, Mack, EJ, Barrie...ror
all are around the same age

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I doubt the Avs were after Hayes as a just in case ROR didn't sign.
They knew he would be on at least a 1 year deal + a RFA year after that.
We need another F, even with ROR in the fold.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Gotta agree with everyone who says RoR signing has no impact on the Avs pursuing Hayes. The second that 5pm passed on July 5th without RoR signing an offer sheet it was guaranteed that he'd be under contract with the Avs whether through arbitration or reaching an agreement. At least that's my reasoning for hoping they still sign Hayes...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
ROR doesn't even play the same position as Hayes, not sure it really changes anything. We still have almost no natural RW's in the system and he can probably see that. There's Iginla, and then a bunch of converted LW and C's. It would be a very nice addition and I'm sure the Avs could easily sell him being on the team real quick. Our top 3 RW's are 37, 35, and 36 years old, after all.

Hayes isn't a natural RW either. ROR isn't a natural LW. These things don't matter much. What matters is who's in the top 6 and the top 9 and how likely is he to beat them out of their spot.

How do they go to him and show him an opportunity to crack the top 9 let alone top 6 this year? What are his chances of doing so next year? There's 1 spot with Briere leaving and it's on the 3rd line. He'll have to compete with other guys on the team including Bleackley, and that's only if they don't bring in a UFA. Not exactly a great opportunity next year either.

I'm not really sure why people want to pigeon hole a left handed north american like Hayes into being a RW that can't play LW.

I feel like a big reason why he played on the right was because they put him on a line with Gaudreau who plays LW and takes more precedence as the guy that stirs the drink on that line.

Assuming he did play LW on whatever team takes him, I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue. Plenty of highlights have him breaking in along the left side boards, and either driving the net or taking a shot. I doubt it'd be an issue at all for him to play LW.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hayes can play both wings. The ROR signing doesn't impact the Avs pursuit of Hayes in the least.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hayes can play both wings. The ROR signing doesn't impact the Avs pursuit of Hayes in the least.

It impacts it in the sense that they're for sure not trading him, and that there won't be a new spot open in the top 9. That's the only reason it made sense for the Avs to be on Hayes list of preferred teams. Assuming that was even the case.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
It impacts it in the sense that they're for sure not trading him, and that there won't be a new spot open in the top 9. That's the only reason it made sense for the Avs to be on Hayes list of preferred teams. Assuming that was even the case.

**** Briere if he can't/won't play on the 4th line. I'd rather have Hayes than appease a guy who will be an Av for a year and then maybe retire. He's a locker room guy and great depth player to have but he's irrelevant to me if it means we get Hayes.

Either he or Malkin has to play 4th line if Hayes signs here... and I prefer Mitchell on the 3rd.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
**** Briere if he can't/won't play on the 4th line. I'd rather have Hayes than appease a guy who will be an Av for a year and then maybe retire. He's a locker room guy and great depth player to have but he's irrelevant to me if it means we get Hayes.

Either he or Malkin has to play 4th line if Hayes signs here... and I prefer Mitchell on the 3rd.

It's not even about whether Briere will or won't play on the 4th line. It's that the Avs didn't talk him into waiving his NMC by offering him a better opportunity than Montreal gave him, and are now planning on letting Hayes push him down onto the 4th line.

The only way Hayes likes the Avs over the Hawks is if he's not at all worried about making a healthy line up this year in the top 9, and isn't looking for for much more assurances than the Hawks can give him in year two.

The Hawks will have to do something to swallow Toews and Kane's contracts. There will be just as big an opportunity as you can expect on the Avs.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
It's not even about whether Briere will or won't play on the 4th line. It's that the Avs didn't talk him into waiving his NMC by offering him a better opportunity than Montreal gave him, and are now planning on letting Hayes push him down onto the 4th line.

The only way Hayes likes the Avs over the Hawks is if he's not at all worried about making a healthy line up this year in the top 9, and isn't looking for for much more assurances than the Hawks can give him in year two.

The Hawks will have to do something to swallow Toews and Kane's contracts. There will be just as big an opportunity as you can expect on the Avs.

That's just flat out incorrect and frankly, it's insane that you see it that way.

Have you ever played hockey? Was there ever a point where you thought to yourself you know what? I really love playing bottom 6 minutes and minimal if any at all PP time? No? Shocking I know...

Here is the Hawks top 6.

Sharp-Towes-Hoss
Saad-Richards-Kane

Sub in Teuvo when he's ready instead of Richards. There is not one player in that current top 6 that Hayes is better than today and there is no light at the end of the tunnel for when he might get his shot. He plays RW. Hossa is 34 but has like 7 years left on his deal so he's there for the long haul. Kane... well Hayes will never beat Kane even if he exceeds his expectations to ridiculous degree. So at best he can slot into that 3rd line RW for the next 5 years at least and then take over... or

Avs top 6.

ROR-Dutchy-
Landy-Mac-

Those are the lines that will stay together for the next 2 years at least. And you have

Iggy- 37 years old for 3 years, might slow down soon and if not that's great. But that's only one.

Tangs- 35 years old for 2 years, can easily be moved down to the third line this year if Hayes looks like he deserves more minutes.

Plus no future sure fire top line RW prospects to compete against.

The Avs have no young stud RWs but two stud LWs and two stud Cs. Essentially he can be that stud RW and get the opportunity to play with two great players on whichever line he ends up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad