News Article: In Memoriam: Jean Potvin

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This year sucks. Thoughts with Denis and the rest of the Potvin family. Bill Torrey brought Jean in to convince Denis to sign

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
RIP Jean. I recall Denis telling the story, he had to come and play for the Isles once Bill Torrey traded for his brother. He knew Denis had reservations of playing on the Island. Not so much after his brother became an Islander.

Reactions: thegoldenyear

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
This year sucks. Thoughts with Denis and the rest of the Potvin family. Bill Torrey brought Jean in to convince Denis to sign
I remember Denny lamenting that if the Rangers won the cup they'd parade down Broadway and if Islanders won, they'd go down Old Country Road

Shrewd move bringing in big brother!

Reactions: SI90

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
A shitty year on and off the ice just got a little shittier.

RIP Potsy.

Reactions: SI90

thegoldenyear

RIP Mike Bossy
May 13, 2013
Toronto
I remember trying to figure out what a “J POTVIN” was as a kid. Probably my earliest instance of discovering sib teammates.

RIP Papa Bear.

The ‘78 trade that sent him to Cleveland with J.P. must’ve ripped Denny’s heart out - the return included Wayne Merrick, so of course it had merit - and so I’ve always been extra, extra, extra glad Jean got to carry a pair of Cups around as a roster player upon his return. Jean’s 72-point season in 1975-76 is one of the stealth kickass performances in Isles lore, too.

This sure is the winter of our discontent.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I remember trying to figure out what a “J POTVIN” was as a kid. Probably my earliest instance of discovering sib teammates.

RIP Papa Bear.

The ‘78 trade that sent him to Cleveland with J.P. must’ve ripped Denny’s heart out - the return included Wayne Merrick, so of course it had merit - and so I’ve always been extra, extra, extra glad Jean got to carry a pair of Cups around as a roster player upon his return. Jean’s 72-point season in 1975-76 is one of the stealth kickass performances in Isles lore, too.

This sure is the winter of our discontent.
In a sense, Jean was a contributor to the other 2 cups. Merrick was the Pageau of his day. Great PK guy, excellent on faceoffs, good in corners and easy clubhouse presence

Reactions: thegoldenyear

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
These guys are way too young to be passing away. :(
definitely a reality check when guys we watched, knew or were intimately involved with start dropping dead.....just recently found out that a prominent nyc high school basketball coach, who i went to college with, died in 2019. he passed at the same age that i am now. definitely puts it all in perspective

the bell tolls for all of us. all smart ass jokes aside, make each day worth something! God Bless you fellas!!

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
great F****ing pass by johnnie T
Absolutely, plus JT's cut to the right (criss-crossing with Nystrom)! And the initial pass by Henning may have been even better. And Nystrom's tip on the backhand side was perfect. That goal was the result of 3 great plays. :bow::stanley:

Last edited:
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Absolutely, plus JT's cut to the right (criss-crossing with Nystrom)! And the initial pass by Henning may have been even better. And Nystrom's tip on the backhand side was perfect. That goal was the result of 3 great plays. :bow::stanley:
yeah man, hadn't seen that clip in awhile!....i have a tape of the whole game somewhere that i got off espn classics or something like that. have to dig it out and watch it with my 13 year old. i watched that game live in manhattan at a buddy's house. i was in college....none of the boroughs had cable back then because of people like donald manus and the other corrupt borough presidents..... me and one other guy were in a living room full of about 8-10 rangers fans. i must say, that MIGHT just be, 40 some odd years later, the highlight of my sports life. thanks for putting that clip on for us to enjoy and reminisce

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I met him many times as a kid, as I attended games with my close friend, a son of Barry "Landers" , his broadcasting partner. Was always a very polite, gracious guy. No sense of ego at all. His personality, at least from a kids' point of view, was very different from his brother's.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I met him many times as a kid, as I attended games with my close friend, a son of Barry "Landers" , his broadcasting partner. Was always a very polite, gracious guy. No sense of ego at all. His personality, at least from a kids' point of view, was very different from his brother's.
i worked in the media in my other life. curious what you thought of landers?

i never met jean but knew denny a bit. he was very nice and always gave me time. the thing about denny was that he always spoke his mind honestly and unapologetically. he was never rude or abrasive from my perspective but if you asked him a question, he looked you straight in the eye and gave you an answer

thinking back to the good old days, i recall thinking many many times that there has never been a player who controlled the blue line in the offensive zone better than denis potvin bar none... not to mention those open ice hip checks!

RIP big brother. i know denny idolized and looked up to you in many many ways

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
i worked in the media in my other life. curious what you thought of landers?

Barry is a sweetheart! Keep in mind, I didn't know him as a media guy, I was the kid hanging around his house. I use scarequotes around "Landers" because I think of him by his regular name. He drove like a madman though.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Barry is a sweetheart! Keep in mind, I didn't know him as a media guy, I was the kid hanging around his house. I use scarequotes around "Landers" because I think of him by his regular name. He drove like a madman though.
i only knew him peripherally. hi and bye kind of thing. we crossed paths at different events. used to see him a lot at us open tennis. are you still in touch with him?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
i only knew him peripherally. hi and bye kind of thing. we crossed paths at different events. used to see him a lot at us open tennis. are you still in touch with him?
With his son, yes, but not really him (he's my friend's dad). But if my friend happens to have another kid kid + there's a bris/naming ceremony, I'd be happy to convey your regards!

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
With his son, yes, but not really him (he's my friend's dad). But if my friend happens to have another kid kid + there's a bris/naming ceremony, I'd be happy to convey your regards!
i'm sure he wouldn't remember me. i moved away from NY in 1990 and left the business. remained an isles fan and it's nice to remember the old times occasionally!

NOW LET'S BEAT THE SH** OUT OF THE RANGERS!!!!

Green

Nov 13, 2019
hopefully Ranger fans will have some respect and not do their "Potvin Sucks" chant but I am not counting on it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad